Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Gate 98 Response

Robert2018

So typically we slalom and wakeboard behind my 98 Response, tried listing boat the other night with a few people and surprisingly got a decent little wave. I want to try a teak gate to improve the wave. the kids are pretty bonkers about surfing ! Any suggestions aside from a bigger boat, thanks ) 

ahopkins22LSV

Growing up my dad bought a 98 Moomba Outback. The bow actually slipped back towards the water. We primarily skied it but once we heard about surfing we gave it a go. We got a 800 lb sack behind the engine, 250 on the drivers side and 250 in the bow. Plus people sitting on the engine cover, it had a small rear facing seat. We could surf that no problem. It could definitely be nerve wrecking with that weight be the key is to drive properly and patiently. Come to a stop slowly and wait for your rollers to pass. Turn slowly back to the rider with the offset weight to the inside of the turn. If you have to go over other wave, you’ll have to accelerate to get the bow up. We honestly rarely took water over the bow but you do have to be on your toes. 

formulaben
4 hours ago, Robert2018 said:

So typically we slalom and wakeboard behind my 98 Response, tried listing boat the other night with a few people and surprisingly got a decent little wave. I want to try a teak gate to improve the wave. the kids are pretty bonkers about surfing ! Any suggestions aside from a bigger boat, thanks ) 

Take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but since you said "teak gate" I have no idea if your boat has chines that might disqualify it but if not then don't waste your time and money building a gate (like I did) and get a Nauticurl.  It's reasonably priced and works very well, especially since you can tune the wave by moving it fore and aft, rotate it downward (to make it 90 degrees to the water at boat surf attitude/pitch) and also up and down, unlike a teak gate. 

Nauticurl won't work on a 99 RLX - BTDT.  I would expect the same on a 98 since the hull is very similar (I think the chines were modified slightly for 99 BICBW).  And make it 90 degrees?  How would that help the wake? I can't picture that.

formulaben
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And make it 90 degrees?  How would that help the wake? I can't picture that.

Instead of putting it parallel with the rub rail/chines, you angle the front part of the Nauticurl down slightly; as the boat is pitched up at roughtly 10 degrees while at surf speeds angling the Nauticurl down makes it so the "gate" is vertically flat against the water (e.g. 90 degrees) instead of angled backwards.

• 2 weeks later...