Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu M5di oil change WTH?!?!

• 4 weeks later...

so does anyone know what kind of thread fitting is need for the extractor pump to screw onto the oil pan hose as we cant stick the tube down the dip stick hole right?

Should be a standard pipe thread, but like most vehicles now days I have seen both metric and std on this boat. I ended up just using some surgical hose to go over the ends of both my extractor and the brass head on the drain hose. 

1 hour ago, agarabaghi said:

so does anyone know what kind of thread fitting is need for the extractor pump to screw onto the oil pan hose as we cant stick the tube down the dip stick hole right?

i obviously don’t have the new motor but i stick my plastic house straight down to pan in the drain tube and pull back 1/8-1/4”.  it stays wedged in there and i shove the drain hose between cat and valve cover and it just sits there till i'm done as the stiffness of extractor hose holds it up right.  i thought that same thing was needed for mine until i just shoved it down the tube and it just stayed where i put it  

extractor hose fits nice and snug in the drain tube threaded fitting for drain tube’s cap 

Edited by granddaddy55

yup ended up doing that @granddaddy55 but was heasitant that it wouldnt pull all 6qt out.

Managed to put back in 5.5qt before dipstick read full so thats pretty good. We didnt replace the oil filter as we are trying to figure out why the oil pressure gauge pegs to 80psi until about 30-45mins in then it levels off to 60. Dealer has seen it on several m5di as well and i thought maybe the wrong weight oil was used, but i just put in 5.5 qts ot 5w30 dexos and same readings. 

1 minute ago, agarabaghi said:

yup ended up doing that @granddaddy55 but was heasitant that it wouldnt pull all 6qt out.

Managed to put back in 5.5qt before dipstick read full so thats pretty good. We didnt replace the oil filter as we are trying to figure out why the oil pressure gauge pegs to 80psi until about 30-45mins in then it levels off to 60. Dealer has seen it on several m5di as well and i thought maybe the wrong weight oil was used, but i just put in 5.5 qts ot 5w30 dexos and same readings. 

good point about all oil,  made me think a little. the drain hose on mine is on end of pan towards bow,  probably need to lower tongue jack as low as possible to tilt  that pan towards drain tube to get every last drop but sounds like at 5.5 out, you almost got all of it not including filter oil

The oil filter will hold over 1/2 a quart easy.  I pre fill my filters and one would be amazed how much oil will go into the filter.  Fill it up in a few minutes its less then 1/2 full.

I pull the fitting out of the drain tube and use the hose clamp (that I added) to clamp onto my extractor.  I get over 7 quarts.  Since the drain tube and dipstick go to the same pan location, leave the dipstick in so that you don't suck as much air.  I still get air but more oil with it.  They really should separate these two items.  

Not related to your oil pressure issue (which I don't have) but I get more than 5.5 quarts.

how are you getting 7qts our of an engine thats only suppose to have 6qts in it?

was underimpression its 6qt, but seems like  the L83 v8 is 8quarts.

My reason for draining was to just make sure the proper weight was used. 

so you oil pressure is locked in a 40psi idle, 60psi under load?

Edited by agarabaghi
7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

i think i would be worried about low pressure not temporarily high  

high oil pressure will blow seals. 

whats worrysome is that it wasnt doing this prior to the service... and ive heard other boats having same issue after the 1st service 

22 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

how are you getting 7qts our of an engine thats only suppose to have 6qts in it?

was underimpression its 6qt, but seems like  the L83 v8 is 8quarts.

My reason for draining was to just make sure the proper weight was used. 

so you oil pressure is locked in a 40psi idle, 60psi under load?

The OM says “8 qts to fill to empty”. I let mine drain for a week before the winter lay up and saw almost all 8 qts of it in the drain pan. I have mild fluctuations in the OP, but not enough to be worried about it.  Normally @ 39 to 42 psi at idle and I see low 60s loaded at 3800 rpm.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, agarabaghi said:

Does it only do it when cold or when hot as well?

On 12/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Sixball said:

The oil filter will hold over 1/2 a quart easy.  I pre fill my filters and one would be amazed how much oil will go into the filter.  Fill it up in a few minutes its less then 1/2 full.

im tired of that  mess , going with @oldjeep recommendation of not bothering with that any more  

On 11/25/2019 at 8:44 AM, dandreasen001 said:

I have the m5di and at the 15hr mark, cannot for the life of me find in the manual what oil filter cartridge is needed, any suggestions? I see the dexos 2 5-30 synthetic oil needed

The Napa gold number is 7214

On 12/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Does it only do it when cold or when hot as well?

Doesn’t matter. 

today it threw a code spn 100 fmi 0 which is high oil pressure. Waiting on dealer 

1 hour ago, agarabaghi said:

Doesn’t matter. 

today it threw a code spn 100 fmi 0 which is high oil pressure. Waiting on dealer 

What was oil pressure on Malibu Screen/Diacomm computer when the code went off? Tell the dealer to check mechanical oil pressure. Take out the oil pressure sensor and use oil pressure tester to check mechanical pressure. 

I would start with he above. Maybe a bad sensor. Having said that could be a bad paint job, I've seen the sensors have paint on them causing a bad connection/reading. Also, check the routing of the oil lines. Make sure they are going where they are supposed to go and not criss crossed.. Saw one the other day. 10 PSI start up, 20-30 PSI at idle. Oil lines going to the remove oil filter were crossed...

• 3 months later...