Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu M5di oil change WTH?!?!

I can’t find the oil drain tube?!?  Anyone done this and can help?  I thought about extracting it out the dip stick but nervous about it getting stuck. Those stories make me sick to my stomach. 

Many help is appreciated. Been changing oil in boats for 20 years but I’m at a loss. 

TIA. 

All this seems logical but I can’t find it. I can’t find anything coming off the pan other than a tube that comes up to the oil filter. I’d try that but it has a bend in it that might make it difficult. I’d also be afraid to take the oil filter cap off without draining the oil first. I’m stumped. 

@pauley71, how many hours do you have on the M5 now? Any issues so far. Mine was throwing gang signs and I had to take it in. Potentially looking at a bad O2 sensor(s) or fuel delivery related issue. I took it in after I hit 16 hours for the dealer recommended 20 hour initial oil change, took it home and it started loading up on fuel and smoking like a 2 stroke on initial throttle up, no joke that bad. Took it back in, they cleared the codes, they ran it up on the fake a lake no probs. Took it to the lake before I left the dealership area and had a repeat performance. Has them stumped, said they will probably have to call Malibu. 

4 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I can’t find the oil drain tube?!?  Anyone done this and can help?  I thought about extracting it out the dip stick but nervous about it getting stuck. Those stories make me sick to my stomach. 

Many help is appreciated. Been changing oil in boats for 20 years but I’m at a loss. 

TIA. 

I have the M6DI but maybe it’s similar. You access the drain tube on the port side but from the back. Lift  out the storage bin in the back of the boat and you can see drain tube on the port side bottom rear then the tube feeds through the drain port. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, wdr said:

@pauley71, how many hours do you have on the M5 now? Any issues so far. Mine was throwing gang signs and I had to take it in. Potentially looking at a bad O2 sensor(s) or fuel delivery related issue. I took it in after I hit 16 hours for the dealer recommended 20 hour initial oil change, took it home and it started loading up on fuel and smoking like a 2 stroke on initial throttle up, no joke that bad. Took it back in, they cleared the codes, they ran it up on the fake a lake no probs. Took it to the lake before I left the dealership area and had a repeat performance. Has them stumped, said they will probably have to call Malibu. 

Does the M5 not have the same mandatory oil change done by a dealer between 10-15 hours that the M6 has? My dealer stressed this and I think it was mentioned about 5 times in the owners manual along with an addition form they had in the paper work. 

7 hours ago, gregtay said:

Does the M5 not have the same mandatory oil change done by a dealer between 10-15 hours that the M6 has? My dealer stressed this and I think it was mentioned about 5 times in the owners manual along with an addition form they had in the paper work. 

I asked the exact same thing! They said they would advise the 20 in case something does come up later than 10 but sooner than 20. 16.7 in my case. They said to check the oil frequently, mine used zero oil in that time frame so no issues there. Vary the rpm full range after the first book prescribed rpm increase period and not stay at one rpm for too long. No bags or ballast... pretty much the exact book answer. I took it in for the first service as early as I could before the actual 20 and was back 2 days later with this issue. But the way I was driving it, it would be a catastrophic internal engine failure due to a build issue before an “over the 10 hour issue” that was going to due it in. The shop manager said they have never seen an issue with the M series engine and to “drive it like I stole it”. Thought that was kind of odd as I am pretty sure I was one of the first M5 equipped boats that got ordered from them. But, the M6 has been out for awhile so he might of been referring to the M series in general and not necessarily the M5 directly.

Edited by wdr
Sp
6 hours ago, hethj7 said:

My drain tube is tied to the port side engine lifting eye.  

33ABB15E-9418-4568-8228-1044046A7FF7.jpeg

It’s crazy the differences between the boats being built in the same plant. In this shot the distro block is shown screwed the front vertical face of the Fibecs. On mine the distro block is screwed to that big flat surface between that spot and the ballast pump. It may just be an M6 versus an M5 difference.

ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, wdr said:

It’s crazy the differences between the boats being built in the same plant. In this shot the distro block is shown screwed the front vertical face of the Fibecs. On mine the distro block is screwed to that big flat surface between that spot and the ballast pump. It may just be an M6 versus an M5 difference.

It’s really not crazy to think about, especially between two different models. Even on the same model, products go through engineering changes all the time for multiple reasons: ease of manufacturing, capacity throughput improvements, better design, cost save, etc. I work for a company that builds commercial exhaust systems for most major semi trucks in the US. A truck built last fall and a truck built today has a slightly different exhaust system on it. Happens all the time in the passenger vehicle world too.

I like that the drain tube is clear and that you will be able to see the oil flowing. 

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s really not crazy to think about, especially between two different models. Even on the same model, products go through engineering changes all the time for multiple reasons: ease of manufacturing, capacity throughput improvements, better design, cost save, etc. I work for a company that builds commercial exhaust systems for most major semi trucks in the US. A truck built last fall and a truck built today has a slightly different exhaust system on it. Happens all the time in the passenger vehicle world too.

I like that the drain tube is clear and that you will be able to see the oil flowing. 

My tube is not clear, it is gray.  And a small gripe I have, it is zip tied up vs that nifty hook that was provided on the Ford setup.  Loving the M6 so far.   Hopefully headed out to surf it for the first time today (in 60 degree weather....brrrrr)

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

My tube is not clear, it is gray.  And a small gripe I have, it is zip tied up vs that nifty hook that was provided on the Ford setup.  Loving the M6 so far.   Hopefully headed out to surf it for the first time today (in 60 degree weather....brrrrr)

Oh well that’s a bummer that it is grey. It looked clear. And yeah I noticed that too. Surprised they didn’t use a clip. 

9 hours ago, hethj7 said:

My drain tube is tied to the port side engine lifting eye.  

33ABB15E-9418-4568-8228-1044046A7FF7.jpeg

Thanks for the photo. Not the same here.  I check both sides and nothing. Does anyone know where it attaches to the pan?  I see a nut on the side of the pan on the port side and I’m concerned it didn’t get installed. Ugh, I hope not.  Pics are port side first then starboard  

736BD97D-996D-4151-B5E5-345682A417BD.jpeg

7C15DA30-F264-411A-84E6-49E0B4A10AF6.jpeg

On 5/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, gregtay said:

Yes it does and it is critical that a dealership do it.

There are several items they inspect while it is done to see the status of the engine after break in to make sure it will have a long life. After the initial it is fine for you to change it yourself.

The oil drain hose connects to the bottom of the engine at oil pan. I assume you have compressed yourself into the locker and looked under engine at the rear? Hard place to reach where the oil drain hose actually screws into bottom of engine oil pan (on my engine), but hose is routed from that connection point under engine to the back and then runs up side of engine and clips to the engine mount as others showed above. 

Guessing your oil drain hose was either never pulled out, or was not installed. I have seen retro kits and would ask the dealer to add the hose if one is not already installed. I was under impression that all the newer boats already had the hose installed since there is no other safe way to extract the oil without risking extractor hose getting stuck in dipstick tube.

I struggled to find the hose when I did my first service on the M6 last night. My hose was weaved between motor and filter. I felt silly when I finally found it, but it was pretty tucked away. 

50 minutes ago, mikeo said:

I've had to use this trick to find things under the engine: take your cell phone, and "borrow" one from someone else (or have a tablet, etc.) and do a video call with yourself (facetime on Apple) and then put your phone where you want to see while looking at the device you've called. It's a simple remote camera trick that can help locate that "spare" fastener, 10mm socket, or oil drain hose...

Have done the same thing myself...works well!

Finally had time to look for it and found it.  It's on the Starboard side of the motor but it was routed up behind the heat exchanger and tucked UNDER the cowling.  The fact that its a smaller diameter hose and has overspray matching everything else didn't help.  Here are a couple of notes from my oil change.

1)  You can't suck it from the dipstick .. I only got about 1/2 quart before it started sucking air.  
2)  From the drain hose, it only pulled 4 quarts clean but then sucked air (and oil) for the next four quarts.  Came out ok, just odd and took more time.  Smaller diameter hose didn't help. Got almost exactly 8 quarts.
3)  The oil filter top was on WAY to tight
4)  The oil filter location has to be fixed.  You can barely get the filter out b/c it hits the fiberglass.  The filter is locked into the lid and the two will not come out together.  This means you have to grab the filter and separate it -  which is a mess.  Going back in was fine b/c you can put the filter in and screw the lid down.  
5)  Drain hose threads were different than Indmar (unfortunate b/c now I have to figure out a new adapter for my extractor).
6)  Drain hose should have a clip on it so you could attach it somewhere but you are forced to find a place to stick it (which is how it was lost in the first place).
7)  Oil fill was in a nice easy central location

Much preferred the oil change on the 6.2L but I'm sure I'll get used to it ... and my hearing is already better now that the boat is quieter  :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the m5di and at the 15hr mark, cannot for the life of me find in the manual what oil filter cartridge is needed, any suggestions? I see the dexos 2 5-30 synthetic oil needed