Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick battery cable size question

Bought the blue sea add a battery. In the middle of installing it and I bought 1/0 cable. It's not fine strand and looks like the boat had 2/0. I need to make cables for the Acr and other battery would this be okay to use or should I take it back and get 2/0 and fine wire. The cable I got has thick cable strands. Thanks -Jesse 

With the unknowns of your particular install, here are some guide lines. Cable gauge is based on the potential load thats going to be put on it, and length between point. Battery cables have the potential of starter amp draw, which can peak at 300A and the ACR will see alternator supply amperage. 

19 hours ago, MLA said:

With the unknowns of your particular install, here are some guide lines. Cable gauge is based on the potential load thats going to be put on it, and length between point. Battery cables have the potential of starter amp draw, which can peak at 300A and the ACR will see alternator supply amperage. 

Its going to run a SYN-DX 6 , 6 in-boat  Sub, SYN-DX-2.3HP, 4 rev 10's and wetsounds 4zone rgb controller/leds.

The 1/0 Cable i bought looks kinda beefer then what is used to connnect to the battery from switch (what was used on the perko On/Off Switch). But its not finestrand.. 
The cables dont have to run far, everything is in the portside area where the amps are. But if someone knows a reason i should go out and order the same exact stuff used from the factory then I will. Thanks, I haulted working on this until I figure this out. 

Strand count really comes down to flexibility. High strand count amp cable is easier to work with then low strand count battery cable. Some may geek out on you and get into in air gap, surface are conductivity blah blah blah. Gauge size is whats important 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MLA said:

Gauge size is whats important 

I decided too just buy 2/0 fine strand to keep it all the same. As always; thanks for the input! and also wakesonsnake for the website info! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 5/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, MLA said:

Strand count really comes down to flexibility. High strand count amp cable is easier to work with then low strand count battery cable. Some may geek out on you and get into in air gap, surface are conductivity blah blah blah. Gauge size is whats important 

Instead of making another post thats been answered a ton of times but im just a little unsure about. And MLA; you seem to know alot about wiring/stereo stuff  maybe you can help me out.

6r0dq8.jpg

This is what i used to add the battery, My questions our can i just use the ground from the starting battery and just add an extra cable to the stereo battery? Also down the road i will be installing my wetsounds 4zone rgb controller &  ws420bt do i just run the wires to a separate fuse box and run them to the stereo battery? Just worried about noise and what not and obviously unsure how i should get power to the equipment.

Unless you are relocating the original battery, then the original ground cable would stay as is. You have to link the ground of the new house bank to the ground of the original bank or the system will not function. The shorter cable path is best. In most cases, that battery to battery. 

Bottom line, ALL audio has to share the same B+ and B-. LEDs? Do not and sometimes should not.