Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paid for heated storage picked up full of water

riot138

Update:  the boat was brought back to the dealer and they went through it and deemed everything was OK.  My second time out I got an engine fault (65604 etcpps) which I believe may have been due to a low battery.  Replaced batteries and realized one is draining super fast.  I was fed up and called my insurance and I was told this isn't something they cover and it's the responsibility of the dealer/storage facility.  Back to the drawing board.

Who's your insurance company? So others can stay away from them. 

I truly feel bad for you.  The problems you're having now are exactly what the crew warned you about.  Your insurance company should have totaled the boat just like they do for cars.  There has to be some sort of recourse for you, I would hope.  Hopefully some lawyers, insurance guys on here can offer up some advice.

3 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Who's your insurance company? So others can stay away from them. 

I truly feel bad for you.  The problems you're having now are exactly what the crew warned you about.  Your insurance company should have totaled the boat just like they do for cars.  There has to be some sort of recourse for you, I would hope.  Hopefully some lawyers, insurance guys on here can offer up some advice.

I may have spoke too soon.  I spoke with my broker and she said she was pretty sure this wouldn't be covered but she is going to look into it for me.  She did call back and asked me if I had a proof of invoice for the storage and she is going to let me know if they can proceed with this.  Fingers crossed.  The insurance company is pacific marine.  It's a Canadian company.  I did read the policy over and it does say it will cover all loss,damage or fortuitous nature with the exception of certain things.  This doens't fall under those certain things so I may still be good.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, riot138 said:

I may have spoke too soon.  I spoke with my broker and she said she was pretty sure this wouldn't be covered but she is going to look into it for me.  She did call back and asked me if I had a proof of invoice for the storage and she is going to let me know if they can proceed with this.  Fingers crossed.  The insurance company is pacific marine.  It's a Canadian company.  I did read the policy over and it does say it will cover all loss,damage or fortuitous nature with the exception of certain things.  This doens't fall under those certain things so I may still be good.

Broker's are usually good at selling insurance but are not always on top of actual coverage issues.  Bottom line is you should make a formal claim which triggers a duty on the insurance company to make a formal decision to accept responsibility or deny coverage.  The insurance company generally has the burden to show a specific exclusion applies, but only after you start the formal claims process.  Make them commit to a coverage position in writing.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Broker's are usually good at selling insurance

Yeah...  part of the problem is that there are limited choices up here.  Royal/Sun Alliance is practically out of the marine business and there are few others.  I use Intact and at least for auto coverage they are great. 

On 5/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

I will be curious to see how the mould on the seats (and inside the cushions) is addressed.

This would be my concern. Once mold gets established in the vinyl it is hard to get rid of. I'd be spritzing it with mold/mildew cleaner as a first step in every cleaning with hopes that will eventually kill it.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So the boat was covered by insurance.  It is currently at another local boat shop waiting to be fixed.  I believe they will be replacing the alternator and starter for sure.  I am hoping they will replace all of the pumps.  I am pretty sure the alternator was toast since it was scorching hot when the boat was just sitting in my driveway and it killed my battery.  Is there anything else I should be worried about?  They did check the oil pan to see if it was caved which would have been a good indication that the water that was sitting in there froze and the oil pan looks good so I don't think it froze with water in it.