Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paid for heated storage picked up full of water

riot138

More of a rant.. I paid $1500 for heated storage.  I picked up this morning and brought it home and it was full of water.  Drained for a solid 20 minutes. Mold all over my seats, full of bugs, cover poles bent from I'm assuming pooling of water and the bilge was full of green algae water.  So frustrated.  Not sure what my next step should be. I just hope they put it away a few weeks after I dropped it off and it wasn't outside all winter with this much water in it.

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

second on the plug.  It could have been worse if there were more water.  

I think they either had a roof leak or left it outside.  Demand an explanation.  

That much water will not likely cause any problems.  Although it sounds like you drove it home and it probably sloshed around on your starter and alternator, which now have a good chance of failing this summer because of it.  

Edited by TallRedRider

I just got off the phone.  The explanation was the big boats have to go in to the storage space first so my boat was outside until the storage space was almost full.

4 minutes ago, riot138 said:

I left the plug in because I didn't want mice getting in the boat. I really didn't think there would be any chance for water.

If a mouse wants to get into the boat it isn't going to be through the plug hole.  They'll climb through the cover vent.

And it sounds like the boat was full of water the entire winter?  ick

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If a mouse wants to get into the boat it isn't going to be through the plug hole.  They'll climb through the cover vent

True,  I used someone new this year.  The previous year I drove my boat into the storage facility and it didn't budge the whole winter until I drove in and picked it up.  It sounds like before and after the cold weather my boat was in and out of storage for who knows how long.

Yes I would almost guarantee all winter it was full of water like that.

Edited by riot138

my concern now is that even if you drained the cooling system during winterization, you had water on the exterior of your engine.  If that water froze for longer than a week, you may have damage to your engine block.  This is really sad to see when you pay so much to store it and have this type of terrible experience when you are excited to pull it out and prep it for the summer.  I hope things go well for you going fwd.  Have you checked the engine/trans/vdrive fluids?  Also components like your Alternator and Starter might be gone as well.  I really hope not...

Edited by hawaiianstyln

No cover on it? My boat sits outside all summer and never gets that much water in it. 

I only have plugs in when in the water. 

Minimum you get your 1500 back, but they need to pay more. More will probabaly require insurance or lawyers or both. Sometimes paying a lawyer or asking a friend just to write a letter is enough.  We had boats come back dusty and found a nicer storage building.  I only pay 500. I cant even imagine being in your shoes. Sorry.  

I think this is the second story of "paid for indoor storage this winter and my boat is full of water" this year.  Crazy and sad that people are having to deal with this :-/  

• Like 2

I made that same mistake once. Dropped my boat in a lot to be “placed in heated indoor storage located off site”. Boat was completely dry with dry air bags hung throughout. When I picked my boat up in the spring, mold on the vinyl, trailer looked like it had been taken 4 wheelin, and the guy just shrugged when I called him on it. Now I pay a lot more for the peace of mind...

when friends approach me for advice about buying and owning a boat, one of the first things I ask is where they plan to store it in the winter. our season is only 3 months long, and fall/ winter/spring are very wet.  my advice is that if you don't have covered storage, owning a boat is not a good idea. 

I am totally OCD when it comes to the maintenance and care of all my equipment and dont think I could handle the boat being stored out of my sight all winter.   

I've seen plenty of guys borrow $50k to buy a new boat in May and have it end up under a tarp in their driveway by September.  then when they go to use it the following summer, nothing but problems. 

sorry to see the OPs situation.  storage is often an overlooked but critical aspect of boat ownership and there are shady folks eager to take advantage.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.  I stored it the year before in a shop that wasn't being used.  I prepped the boat with 3 buckets of damprid, moth balls, taped the exhaust flaps closed and plugged every hole in the boat including the drain plugs to try to stop mice from nesting. I drove the boat into the shop myself there was absolutely no way the boat was getting wet so there wasn't a need for the plugs to be out.  This past winter however was different in the fact this was a boat dealer and they  would be moving my boat into storage and not me.  In hindsight I should have asked if this isn't going directly into storage or will I need to prep it for rain.  If I was told it would be getting rained on for weeks before they put it away I would have taken it elsewhere. Who wants a boat with wet carpet stored like that all winter.  I believe it was indoors during the freezing periods but I can't say during the rainy season of spring and fall it was.   I sent a letter to the owner.  I am hoping they will go through and confirm my starter, alternator and pumps are all functioning properly and there was no damage before I go and start it this season.  I did winterize the block before I took it in just in case it was "forgotten" outside.

16 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Oh man!  That's  a five figure repair bill for sure.  What sort of agreement did you sign with the storage outfit?

They said a contract would be in the mail. I contacted them three times via email and never received a contract only an invoice.

Edited by riot138
11 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

No cover on it? My boat sits outside all summer and never gets that much water in it. 

I only have plugs in when in the water. 

Minimum you get your 1500 back, but they need to pay more. More will probabaly require insurance or lawyers or both. Sometimes paying a lawyer or asking a friend just to write a letter is enough.  We had boats come back dusty and found a nicer storage building.  I only pay 500. I cant even imagine being in your shoes. Sorry.  

There was a cover on it but it is several years old and is not completely waterproof.  I am currently in line for a cover from evolution.  I gave my deposit back in October.

1 hour ago, riot138 said:

They said a contract would be in the mail. I contacted them three times via email and never received a contract only an invoice.

My storage (boat dealer) will not let me leave the boat without signing a contract - for their protection and mine.  Like others have said, I'd be calling insurance at this point.

1 hour ago, riot138 said:

There was a cover on it but it is several years old and is not completely waterproof.  I am currently in line for a cover from evolution.  I gave my deposit back in October.

Might want to hold off on that cover until you see what the bill would be to fix that boat.  Insurance could actually total it with that much stuff to fix

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Might want to hold off on that cover until you see what the bill would be to fix that boat.  Insurance could actually total it with that much stuff to fix

Or add the current wrecked one to the insurance claim.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Or add the current wrecked one to the insurance claim.

good call.  The support poles inside were completely bent from pooling of water which I'm sure stretched the cover even more that it was.

I bought a cheap round top shelter for $700 this year.  I  had cold storage at dealer one season for $700 and boat came out looking like someone did donuts on a dirt road with it.  I don't expect the outer tarp to last more then a few years but after this winter I already broke even.