Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP installing a cabin speaker amp

ftlbs

I must preface this by warning everyone that I have very little experience with audio systems.

I own a 2009 Malibu Response FXi and I am trying to add an amplifier to my 4 Rockford Fosgate factory cabin speakers. The amplifier itself is already installed, but I'm having a hard time identifying the cabin speaker wires that I need to connect to the amp. The cabin speakers are currently wired and powered through the factory JBL black box that is found behind the passenger seat. Could any one tell me how to locate the correct speaker wires so I can wire them into the amp?

(FYI, the amp I am using for the cabin speakers is a Massive Audio: Nano Block N2 - 800W RMS Mono Block Amp. Is there any reason I should not use this amp for this application?)

Thanks in advance.

e4cacb31-11f7-49d2-9b61-7ab6bcccbe97-ori

8 hours ago, ftlbs said:

FYI, the amp I am using for the cabin speakers is a Massive Audio: Nano Block N2 - 800W RMS Mono Block Amp

Sorry, but this is a subwoofer amp, and will not work for full range speakers. 

Speaker wire colors are standardized. You can google "car audio speaker wire colors" and you should find the for color pairs used. Also, google "jbl prospec black box manual" 

Edited by MLA
ahopkins22LSV

If you take the black box off the mounting wall, there is a wiring diagram on the back of it. But as MLA said, a mono channel amp won’t work for the cabin speakers? 

Do you have a sub in the boat? If you do there are some really good five channel amps out there that can power the cabin speakers and sub. I added one in my response and it was a huge improvement. 

That amp is a “mono” meaning 1 , or sometimes 2 channels, in this case the NX2 has 2 channels. It does noth have a full range built in crossover so you would have to buy one to get any useful sound out of your cabin speakers.

There are plenty of inexpensive 4ch amps with built in crossovers that will fit the needs of a 4 cabin speaker set up. Malibu was using this amp for cabin speakers during the early 2010’s

Rockford Fosgate R400-4D 400 Watt Full-Range Class-D 4-Channel Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T0WFVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k5Q3CbH6D1X6M

im sure with some digging you can find the wiring diagram for the Jbl black box on the web (if it’s not on the back)or possibly in a thread here, but if it’s just the 4 speakers, I’d probably just get a flash light and see what’s plugged into each of the 4 speakers and note the colors.

Edited by Stevo

Quick question, would an Exile Javelin amp be overkill to power the 4 original Rockford Fosgate cabin speakers? I thought about saving for one of these amps so that I can have 1 amp to power the cabin speakers AND a subwoofer to be installed at a later date. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

https://exileaudio.com/store/amplifiers/amplifiers-1/javelin.html

ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, ftlbs said:

Quick question, would an Exile Javelin amp be overkill to power the 4 original Rockford Fosgate cabin speakers? I thought about saving for one of these amps so that I can have 1 amp to power the cabin speakers AND a subwoofer to be installed at a later date. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

https://exileaudio.com/store/amplifiers/amplifiers-1/javelin.html

That would be a fantastic amp if you add a sub! It would still be a very good amp for the four interiors but it is a five channel amp so you could add a sub and still have just one amp. Might be a little overkill if you aren’t going to add a sub.

13 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That would be a fantastic amp if you add a sub! It would still be a very good amp for the four interiors but it is a five channel amp so you could add a sub and still have just one amp. Might be a little overkill if you aren’t going to add a sub.

Not overkill. It’s a pretty economical amp even without factoring in the 5th channel for the sub. If anything this gives him the option to add a sub at some point. I’m a big fan of “future proofing” like this. He’s going to all the trouble (labor) to install an amp... might as well have the option, right?

• Like 2

I bought this setup for one of my previous boats and never installed it.  I still have them if you, or anyone else is interested.  Just shoot me an offer.  Even have a prefab 12" box.  Located near zip 23117.

1. Product ID: Xi12DVC 
Product Name: Exile Audio Subwoofer Xi12DVC 
Attributes (if any): Xi-Series Black Gloss Grill - INCLUDES Sub Grill 
Quantity: 1 
2. Product ID: XM80.5 
Product Name: Exile XM80.5 "Javelin" - 5 Channel Amp 
Attributes (if any): 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Not overkill. It’s a pretty economical amp even without factoring in the 5th channel for the sub. If anything this gives him the option to add a sub at some point. I’m a big fan of “future proofing” like this. He’s going to all the trouble (labor) to install an amp... might as well have the option, right?

That’s very true too. I’d just go all the way and add the sub too :)

I added a 10” sub in a sealed enclosure I got on eBay to our response under the driver and it was a big improvement too. 

• Like 2

Even a good 4 chnl amp will drive 2 pair of in-boats and a mild woofer. Anywhere from 50W rms to the speakers and 200W to the woofer, up to 170W rms to the in-boats and 685W for a woofer. 

Id put a bit of thought into how much rumble you want in the future. This will help with the present amp selection.  

21 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I bought this setup for one of my previous boats and never installed it.  I still have them if you, or anyone else is interested.  Just shoot me an offer.  Even have a prefab 12" box.  Located near zip 23117.

1. Product ID: Xi12DVC 
Product Name: Exile Audio Subwoofer Xi12DVC 
Attributes (if any): Xi-Series Black Gloss Grill - INCLUDES Sub Grill 
2. Product ID: XM80.5 
Product Name: Exile XM80.5 "Javelin" - 5 Channel Amp 
Attributes (if any): 

Sent you a PM.

FYI...I just pulled the trigger on a new Javelin amp. Can't wait to get it later this week. Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2