Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake shapers

Timholsten

Anyone have pros or cons for wake shapers.  Have 07 23lsv with 910lbs extra in both rear lockers and still can't produce a long wake.  Lake is always busy so when i add bow weight, im always taking on water .  any suggestions?

They work, they make the wave longer.

I have a suction cup shaper and if I'm feeling lazy, it makes the wave bigger and longer than just 750lb on 1 side does. Though you'll want weight too

Edited by smileysteve

I have an '06 LSV which is think is very similar or same to '07.  We do not focus on surfing, but do it for kicks after wakeboarding.  We run a 750 in both rear lockers and a DIY suction cup gate.  Crew of ~3 then usually sits on the surf side.  Works great for us, definitely makes a huge difference having the gate.  Others here would probably add bow weight to make it even better.

Kdspindl do you run your wedge when you surf?  Is it a power wedge or Manuel Wedge?  Also do you utilize the wedge when wakeboarding.

Reason I ask is I’m looking at a 05 23 LSV and a 06 23 LSV one with a Manuel Wedge the other with a power wedge and I’m trying to figure out if the Power Wedge is worth $5k more in price. We mostly Wakeboard 80% of the time   

Sorry don't mean to hyjack the thread

I bought the Ronix Shaper and it didn't work on my 08 VLX due to the way the boat is roundly shaped where it needs to be placed.  I sold it and then bought a Mission Delta that works like a champ.  Not sure how different the 07 to the 08 hull is shaped at the rear. 

Our wake shaper works very well. We have 1100’s in the back,1000 in the front filled to 650-750. I’ve got about $30 in my shaper that I’ve used for 3 years now.

Edited by sChamblee
7 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I bought the Ronix Shaper and it didn't work on my 08 VLX due to the way the boat is roundly shaped where it needs to be placed.  I sold it and then bought a Mission Delta that works like a champ.  Not sure how different the 07 to the 08 hull is shaped at the rear. 

Exactly, the same!

• Like 1

I have a 2010 LSV and just tried the Swell.  It was better in that I did not have to list the boat but not sure it was any bigger than when I do list the boat prior to having it.  We don't surf a lot so I just use the stock ballast.  That said I only had a couple people in the boat.  Usually a larger / heavier crew.  I just ordered a Liquid Force Edge Mega.  I am hoping to compare it to the Swell next weekend.  I am thinking the larger surface area will make it better but really have no basis for my comment.

With respect to the power wedge I use it for both surfing and wake boarding.  It does not have the same ramp without it.  I do like the power wedge as it will increase the angle automatically once up to speed which helps coming out of the hole.  I would not be that happy with the wake without the wedge.  I do have the diamond hull but not sure how big of a difference that makes.  The diamond hull does make it very skiable for slalom skiing.

Lptexas,

Yes, we put the wedge down for both surfing and wakeboarding.  i think it helps the wave for both.  We have the manual wedge so it is either up or down.  i have never been on a boat with a power wedge so i can't really comment on that.  i think others here are big fans of the power wedge, but not sure.  One thing i do appreciate about the manual wedge is there is no risk of failure and one less thing that could ever give you an issue.  I am not an expert, but feel free to send me a PM if there is anything else i can help with too.