Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Response LXI- water in storage locker

Okay so my “new” LXi has a ski/storage locker just forward of the cooler.   It has about 2” of water in it (I presume from heavy rain/cover leaking). I removed the plug from the rear of that locker assuming the water would drain into the bilge and out the drain plug hole.  I towed 10 miles...water still there....I took the boat out on the water, drive slowly to force water backwards into bilge, pulled the boat out and towed 10 miles back...same amount of water is still in the locker.

what gives...why won’t it drain?

If it is anything like the in-floor cooler in my RLX (or for that matter like the driver seat footwell), the drain is clogged.  I have to run a wire through the footwell drain a coule times a season.

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If it is anything like the in-floor cooler in my RLX (or for that matter like the driver seat footwell), the drain is clogged.  I have to run a wire through the footwell drain a coule times a season.

This is part of the answer. First, remove the drain plug, then set it aside, you won't ever need it again.  If your cover is letting in water, it can take a couple days for it to all work its way into the bilge. Second you need to realize that the low point on that hull is not at the back of the boat, its actually just in front of the engine. We seem to always have water in there, its where it collects too as we use the boat. Try flipping on the bilge, and find the right angle on the trailer where it pumps the water out. Then dry it out and clean it as best you can.

This has troubled mankind for generations... my vlx is the same way. It’s the lowest spot in your boat, best I’ve found is to grab a plastic cup and scoop it out.

I found another brass plug in the storage locker that leads straight out the bottom.   Way better than waiting for it to drain out of the rear plastic plug into the bilge. 

17 minutes ago, spinxt said:

I found another brass plug in the storage locker that leads straight out the bottom.   Way better than waiting for it to drain out of the rear plastic plug into the bilge. 

I am willing to bet that was not a factory installed drain plug.

3 hours ago, asnowman said:

I am willing to bet that was not a factory installed drain plug.

It absolutely is.  It’s part of the finished (gelcoat) bottom of the locker.  It’s pretty obvious it was there from construction.  And my buddy’s 2005 has the same plug 

3 hours ago, spinxt said:

It absolutely is.  It’s part of the finished (gelcoat) bottom of the locker.  It’s pretty obvious it was there from construction.  And my buddy’s 2005 has the same plug 

I wish my 05 had one there. Mine is closer to the oil pan, and not actually in the center, but the shop vac gets it dry.

14 hours ago, spinxt said:

It is indeed a factory installed plug.  Mine is currently seized up.  I've been soaking it with PB blaster for the last 2 days and hope it breaks free this weekend.  I've had it out every season since I've owned the boat and not sure why it's seized, but it is what it is I suppose.  My old '97 SSLX had a plug in the same location as well, FWIW.

There is a reason to keep that plastic plug in. If you use your cooler to keep food cool on a nice long day out, keep the ice water from getting funky from swishing around your engine compartment. I drain then dry my cooler box out each time with towels. Sadly it's not used often.

Remove cooler.  Absolutely useless.

Drill 2" hole at the bottom of each lateral brace for water to more efficiently drain to the engine compartment.

You will chilly dip the boat.  You want it to drain back to the bilge pump area ASAP.

When I replaced the carpet with Deckadence I made new deck plates for the openings and covered them over.

On May 24, 2019 at 6:21 AM, robtr8 said:

Remove cooler.  Absolutely useless.

Drill 2" hole at the bottom of each lateral brace for water to more efficiently drain to the engine compartment.

You will chilly dip the boat.  You want it to drain back to the bilge pump area ASAP.

When I replaced the carpet with Deckadence I made new deck plates for the openings and covered them over.

The cooler is not useless, we use it every single time we go out.