Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat sob stories.....

Bawshogg

Just wondered if anyone else has as bad a luck as I do.

Finally picked up the new boat last week after waiting since october of last year. This was supposed to be the happiest moment of my life right?

I was ecstatic until the next day. Went out on our first voyage the next day,everything was great, beautiful weather, boat handles, runs and rides better than ever expected...... until we went to dock.

Current on the river was a little greater than expected, along with a gust of wind and before you know it the bow taps the dock a little hard and BAM! nice quarter sized chip in the black gelcoat above the rub rail.

OK.... On the next day I had an appointment to get a complete stereo system installed. I take the boat to the audio shop and they aren't sure if it will fit through the door, so they have me pull around to the back doors because it is taller. I pull around and see that the driveway is narrow and has a drop off on either side. I asked the salesman to guide me, as he is guiding me making sure i dent hit the other stuff and dumpsters he neglects to watch the tires of the trailer as it falls off and bends the fender back and scrapes the underside of the trailer up. It went through the Front door afterall.

Day 5.... Stereo is simi-done, lacking the remotes, tower speakers all which were ordered over a month ago supposedly???? They need to me come pick it up because it takes up too much space on the shop. I get there to pick it up and the guy that I had been working with is not there and the bill is $1400 over estimate. WOW. He ended up having to come down and deal with me, I think he was intoxicated when he arrived an hour and a half later. finally got that hashed down to $500 over estimate.

Later that night... Pulled boat into garage turned stereo on to listen for a while, after about 40 minutes I smelt a very distinct burning smell, I opened the observers seat back and let all the smoke out, The tower speaker amp fried,..... there wasn't anything even hooked up to it, I don't have tower speakers yet.

Being that this is my first boat I am getting a little worried... I have only had it for a week and it is becoming a real pain. Give me some hope guys. :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jetskipro550

• NorCaliBu

• summerfun

• Baddog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is some hope. ______. (It's invisible)

If you need any more, just ask.

All kidding aside, it will get better. Just keep in mind that all the problems you list were not caused by the boat. It's not the boat's fault!

Jeff

Did you by chance do something terrible to someone? I'm wondering if Karma is at work here. What a bad spell of luck. It is sure to get better, especially since it cant get much worse. Keep smiling :)

Look on the bright side - most boat owners experience that many problems with their first boat. True, they usually spread them out over 5-10 years, but you're just getting them out of the way early!

Seriously, hang in there. It will be worth it when things settle in. I would bet you find a new stereo shop for your next project, though.

Our new Response LX arrived into New Zealand a few weeks ago. Bu's for this part of the world are built in Australia with exactly the same components as their American cousins and in New Zealand they are shipped first to the dealer some 2,000 km south of where I live.

Pretty much he removes all the plastic and conducts a pre-delivery check before sending it for delivery to the customer.

The transport company uses a double decker truck to save delivery costs and he thought I wouldn't mind if he attached my rig to the towball on the back of his rig to save him even more.

Imagine how gutted I felt when my new Bu was handed over with more stone chips on the trailer than two years use on the previous boat. The 2,000km journey also dragged my trailer through several of the most productive dairy regions in the country where a liberal coating of cow sh#t was plastered all over the boat, trailer and road cover having been flicked up from the truck & trailer in front.

Can't believe what sits in some people's minds especially when you consider I paid $NZ83,000 for the new boat. That's a shade shy of $60,000 in US dollars!!

if it makes you feel any better, i read a thread on planet nautique about a family that bought a new nautique. the first day out they pulled out of the now wake zone and drove for a bit. they stopped. later on went to start the boat, no start. had to be towed in on the first outing. be calm, and get things straight. after that you will be able to enjoy your boat. congrates on the new boat. mike. :)

Finally picked up the new boat last week after waiting since october of last year. This was supposed to be  the happiest moment of my life right?             

I was ecstatic until the next day. Went out on our first voyage the next day,everything was great, beautiful weather, boat handles, runs and rides better than ever expected...... until we went to dock.

Current on the river was a little greater than expected, along with a gust of wind and before you know it the bow taps the dock a little hard and BAM! nice quarter sized chip in the black gelcoat above the rub rail.

OK.... On the next day I had an appointment to get a complete stereo system installed. I take the boat to the audio shop and they aren't sure if it will fit through the door, so they have me pull around  to the back doors because it is taller. I pull around and see that the driveway is narrow and has a drop off on either side. I asked the salesman to guide me, as he is guiding me making sure i dent hit the other stuff and dumpsters he neglects to watch the tires of the trailer as it falls off and bends the fender back and scrapes the underside of the trailer up. It went through the Front door afterall.

Day 5.... Stereo is simi-done, lacking the remotes, tower speakers all which were ordered over a month ago supposedly???? They need to me come pick it up because it takes up too much space on the shop. I get there to pick it up and the guy that I had been working with is not there and the bill is $1400 over estimate. WOW. He ended up having to come down and deal with me, I think he was intoxicated when he arrived an hour and a half later. finally got that hashed down to $500 over estimate.

Later that night... Pulled boat into garage turned stereo on to listen for a while, after about 40 minutes I smelt a very distinct burning smell, I opened the observers seat back and let all the smoke out, The tower speaker amp fried,..... there wasn't anything even hooked up to it, I don't have tower speakers yet.

Being that  this is my first boat I am getting a little worried... I have only had it for a week and it is becoming a real pain. Give me some hope guys. :(

The chip in the gel from the dock is bad luck.The fried stereo and scraped up fender is ignorance......(stereo shop) I have never had a stereo shop do anything to my current cars or boats. I simply don't trust anyone.....

In the past I thought maybe I'll have a "pro" do "such and such." Only to see the work look like my daughter did it....

that sucks so much! I am sure that you have just gotten it all out of the way now and your next few seasons will be trouble free. BTW did you say that you listened to your stereo in the garage for 40 minutes? How is your battery doing Oops.gif

that sucks so much! I am sure that you have just gotten it all out of the way now and your next few seasons will be trouble free. BTW did you say that you listened to your stereo in the garage for 40 minutes? How is your battery doing Oops.gif

That's true, the first booboo is out of the way and its not a bad fix.

The stereo guy, however, should be strung up by his golf balls. Where are you located, and who is the Adam Henry working on your boat?

Once your problem gets fixed I would be done with that stereo shop for ever! When you take it in to get fixed update us all on what blew the amp. I am very curious as to why it fried???

Sorry to hear about your delima (s). At least you still have a new Malibu. Imagine how bad you would feel if all of this happened and you realized you owned a Master Crap. Crazy.gif

How about the boat though? SunsetterLXI? I haven't heard much feed back with the new model year. How do you like it? Can't wait to hear a review. Don't keep us waiting too long!Tease2.gif

Yep. Just picked mine up on Friday. The boat is beautiful and the delivery went great, all is good! Spent the day Saturday cleaning and waxing to my satisfaction so we could take it out yesterday to continue the break-in. Launch was smooth, the next 1.5 hours were uneventful until it came time to load. Due to a combination of wind and my inexperience, I ended up putting a 5 foot scratch in the port side gel coat from the guide pole. How could I possibly do that you might ask? Well, all you need to do is bump the throttle a bit at the wrong time when the boat isn't lined up and there you go. I am such an idiot! My wife says that now I have applied the first scratch, she might be willing to drive it up on the trailer. Tongue.gif In fact, my seven year old son suggested that maybe he should do it next time so I don't scratch it again. Ouch! Tease2.gif

So you see, Bawhogg, you're definitely not alone. If I can find a way to screw something up, believe me, I will.

All that aside. The boat (2005 vRide) is everything I could ask for. We absolutely love it. As soon as I get my home computer working again, I'll post pics in another thread.

I have been boating for many years and have made just about every stupid mistake possible. We even lost a skier over the dam one time. (very scary). He lived, but I think I lost a few years off my life with worry.

The point is, whenever someone is in the market for their "first boat" I always suggest buying "used" because EVERYONE is going to make mistakes. Better to learn on a used boat than on a brand new one.

Good luck and I hope you get everything fixed back up to good as new.

...In fact, my seven year old son suggested that maybe he should do it next time so I don't scratch it again.  Ouch!  Tease2.gif

ROFL.gif That's funny. Kids..... :lol:

We even lost a skier over the dam one time. (very scary). He lived, but I think I lost a few years off my life with worry.

Details? That sounds like a heck of a story. Shocking.gif

sorry for you guy, that sure would upset anyone.

if your like me nothing will be right until its fixed and in pristine condition again.

advise, when in doubt back off and you never can go so slow, if you have some one who can help have them stand on the rear slides of the trailer , between the guides and catch you as you come in,SLOWLY. do that a few times till you get a few more pull-outs under your belt

iam on my third malibu, first was a 88 traditional skier, second was a 93 echelon, and the third one i am waiting for right now, a 95 response lxi . the new on was spposed to be at the dealer tomarrow but i just heard that the hammerhead motor isnt delivered to the factory so im patiently waiting for the phone call.

We even lost a skier over the dam one time. (very scary). He lived, but I think I lost a few years off my life with worry.

OMG - that is a bit different than banging into the dock, or guide posts... do elaborate! Shocking.gif

The Battery voltage seems to be ok, I have two, and my head unit has a built in digital volt meter display so I can monitor it.

I am in Vancouver Washington, I say the place I was dealing with is located on 99 in Hazel dell for the locals.

As far as what happened to the amp, I am not sure. Like I said nothing was even hooked up to it. It was for the tower speakers that are not installed yet. It just started smoking and stinking, then I pulled the fuses. I don't plan on going back until my remotes and tower speakers are in, then they can fix it all at once.

Over all after playing with the system for a while, tweaking and such it sounds pretty damn good. REALLY LOUD, somewhat deafening. The jl 12w6 really pounds. I think it is really gonna piss off alot of people if I use it to it's ability. I am really excited about the new pioneer remotes that have a display and can be Y'd off.

As far as the boat... I love it. I've only had it out once, but the slalom wake is great for our skill level and what we are used to. It makes a nice wakeboard wake also with the ballast and wedge. I love the way the direct drive handles, turns on a freakin dime. Can't wait to really rail on it with no women and children on board.

Sorry it took so long to reply... I have been up every night until 12 or 1 sittin in the boat just admiring it.

Iv'e tried to post some pics, but they are to big I think. I need some help with that if ya could.

Sucks getting the kinks worked out sometimes. Those scratches should come right out with some sanding unless they're all the way through the gel coat.

have been up every night until 12 or 1 sittin in the boat just admiring it.
and thats what you should be doing. keep a rag handy to wipe up your Drool.gif

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!!!!

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!!!!

It was about 15 years ago and the very first day of my very first boat. We put in at the launch which was just above the dam on the Fox river. I had my wife (afraid of water), my two year old and my one year old in the boat. I took a friend to help show me how to drive as this was my first boat.

He jumped in the water to ski. He took the handle into the water with him. Somehow the rope did not get connected to the boat hook on the back properly and he and the whole rope started floating down stream. I tried to back up to get the rope but it sank. I was trying to maneuver the boat and my wife was holding onto the kids. We all were now very close to the top of the dam. My wife was screaming, the babies were screaming and he was heading for the top of the dam.

Just then, he hit the first pillar of the dam and was sucked under the gates and disappeared. I raced back to the launch, only about 50 yards away and dropped off the wife and babies. Raced the boat back to the dam screaming for help. My wife called 911 from shore. The rescue boats started searching downstream for him (or the body).

As I stated in the beginning, HE LIVED. When he went underwater he crossed his legs in front of him like starting out in a barefoot run. His body was tossed around and smashed into many rocks at the bottom of the dam, but thankfully shot out rather than being held in the undercurrent. They found him about a quarter mile down river.

The very next week four kids died when their whole boat went over that same dam. They were new to boating as well. When they recovered the boat, it had the gear shift in gear. The boat would not start because the gear was not in neutral and they went over from the river current.

After that time, they have put up large warning buoys and steel cables to keep any boat traffic from that spot.

It was the most terrified I have ever been in my life. Since that time I have taken every safety class availabe. Coast Guard, Power Squadrons, DNR. My kids are now teenagers and have both passed the DNR boating classes. I took it along with them both. You can never have to much boating safety training.

I am a strong believer that EVERYONE should be REQUIRED to take safety training before being allowed to operate a motorboat.

post-207-1115668948_thumb.jpg

DAMN, that's freaking scary. A guy got pulled through the dam here in Austin, TX just like that a couple months ago, he also lived.

What's interesting is that the dam in that photo you show, looks like it would fun fun to go over, heh. Looks are deceiving I know.

That's why I never freaking ever get with a half-mile of a damn for any length of time at all. You just never know...

What's interesting is that the dam in that photo you show, looks like it would fun fun to go over, heh. Looks are deceiving I know.

Actually, I'm not sure that is an accurate picture of the dam. It was the only picture I could find on google. I have not lived there in 10 years, but I remember that the dam had huge gates that open and closed. Much scarier looking. He actually was sucked down and under the gate. I think this might be an old historic picture before the new gated dam was built.

Edited by summerfun