Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What scan tool to purchase??

Hi 

have been doing a bit of searching and am trying to find a basic scan tool for our 05 vlx with the hammerhead. Pretty sure its the mefi4 system. Going to a dealership that has the software is about 3 hours away and am  confident in doing most work on our boat so thinking this would be a handy purchase .

so i was wondering what people have or recommend to do basic code reading or code clearing and also a general check of how the boat is going.

Thanks for reading 

ben

Hey guys 

thanks for a replies! Such a great site!  Very much appreciated. Oldjeep diacom looks very nice but like you say pretty pricey. Slurpee I gotta say im very impressed and keen to have a crack at your link thanks! So with the code reading is that just the same as the scangauge 2 that i have in my ute where you search the code online?

thanks ben

6 hours ago, BEN307 said:

Hey guys 

thanks for a replies! Such a great site!  Very much appreciated. Oldjeep diacom looks very nice but like you say pretty pricey. Slurpee I gotta say im very impressed and keen to have a crack at your link thanks! So with the code reading is that just the same as the scangauge 2 that i have in my ute where you search the code online?

thanks ben

image.thumb.png.524b02fce88680d33d68142729ddf3f6.png

Edited by Slurpee
40 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Wonder if the scanguage would work on an earlier gen engine. 2002, 325 monsoon.

Thanks,

Steve B.

There are going to be two issues:
1. What "language" does the engine controller speak? The version of MEFI may help determine what's going on. The newer engine controllers are J1939 which is a common protocol for commercial vehicles.
2. Is there an accessible connection and can you build or buy the parts to get it to interface with a code reader. 

https://obd2allinone.com is a great resource to figure out exactly what controller you boat engine has and what is possible for connecting it to a scanner.

13 minutes ago, mikeo said:

There are going to be two issues:
1. What "language" does the engine controller speak? The version of MEFI may help determine what's going on. The newer engine controllers are J1939 which is a common protocol for commercial vehicles.
2. Is there an accessible connection and can you build or buy the parts to get it to interface with a code reader. 

https://obd2allinone.com is a great resource to figure out exactly what controller you boat engine has and what is possible for connecting it to a scanner.

The main thing is that the newer boats are Canbus and the older ones are not.  Connector wise take a look at the list that Rinda (Diacom) has for cables and that will tell you what connectors are common to which years/engines.  For the money the Diacom was worth it for me.  The software and the multiple cables that interface to any of the common inboards from the last couple decades.  Also for tracking down intermittent nonsense the logging function of the Diacom comes in handy.  To figure out what MEFI version you have, just look at the sticker on the ECU.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

image.thumb.png.524b02fce88680d33d68142729ddf3f6.png

Thats great

Yes diacom would be awesome from the details it can provide but have no current issues with the boats computer atm so this is just to do a bit of monitoring for interest sakes. Plus the aussie dollar is terrible atm.  

ill check my computer will speak the lingo and get making !

thanks so much for all the info everyone cheers ben