Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast install questions

Badgerski51

I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXI. I have a large bag I put in the trunk, I believe it’s 800 lbs. I have one I put in the ski locker. And I have a few small ones I can place around the boat as needed. I currently use a drop over the side pump to fill and drain them all. I’d like to permanently plumb in at least the trunk bag and maybe even the one in the ski locker. Any of you done this in a boat like I have? Any recommendations on what I need or placement of things? I kne that places like wakemakers sell whole kits for this. Is that the best route to go? Is it better to have one pump that’s reversible or a pump to fill and a pump to drain. To make things simple, let’s just say I’d like to do just the trunk bag to start. Thanks. 

I installed 2 reversible pumps for my bow bag and coffin seat bag.  Much easier for my install since they fill and drain from the same though hull.  I also chose to feed both pumps from same hole using a Y fitting, which you couldn't do with aerator pumps.  I had 2 drains (one at midship and one near vdrive), so I didn't actually have to drill.  I just plumbed into my drain near my vdrive to feed both pumps. I chose not to vent my bags (another drilled hole required for venting) because they don't fill completely in their locations and I keep eyes on them when filling.  I'm not recommending a ventless setup, it's just what I chose to do.  Got all my parts from wakemakers and bakes.  I didn't go with the kit because my install didn't require all the parts.

http://imgur.com/gallery/h7tAW9q

Edited by bovhica

I plumbed in my rear bags, 750 lb, in my 2000 Wakesetter VLX. I tried to save some money by using some existing aerator pumps. However I couldn't get the fill to work so wound up buying two Shurflow 1100gph. I used some given to me 750 gph aerator pumps to drain. They take for ever to drain. I just purchased some Attwood 1200 gph pumps to replace them. I'm upgrading my belly/ski locker bag as it was waterbed bag, ugh, and will be replacing the original with the Attwood 800 gph pumps since the through hull fittings are already 3/4". I will be adding a bow bag and will use the Attwood 800 gph pumps for drain and fill.  

If your doing 800lb bags I would recommend getting the highest gph pumps you can get. That usually means getting a aerator style pump.
Reversible pumps cannot be run dry,  would recommend a timer for each pump and you have to change the impeller in them every few years. The reversible pumps in my Dad's 08' Nautique are louder than my aerator pumps. It is nice to only have to run hose for 1 pump per bag.

Aerator pumps require 2 per bag or you can splice but that is not good idea when filling 800lb sacks, will be TOO slow. They are way cheaper then reversible can buy 4 for price of 1 aerator.

You can purchase almost everything separate; hose,  hose clamps, aerator pumps, wire, ball valves, brass 90's or 45's,  thru hull fittings, switches, check valves etc. 
However you will need to purchase this stuff from multiple stores such as, Plumbing/Hardware, Big Box Stores, Marine stores. But that's a lot of time and driving from store to store. You will still have to purchase the bag fittings from someone like wakemakers if you want the quick disconnects. The quick disconnects are awesome!

If I had to do it over again, I would just buy the kit. You can call them and see if you can get the following pumps.

Fill pumps, Attwood  1200gph short 1" inlet 1-1/8" outlet. The inlet will thread into 1" pipe threads, i.e. 1" brass ball valve.

Drain pumps Attwood  1200gph long 1-1/8"inlet, 1-1/8" outlet.

If you have any questions let me know. I just did this last summer and I'm adding bow bag this season.

I did a similar setup on my 06 23LSV.

900lb bag in each locker, each with it's own reversible pump on a switch with timer.  bow bag and locker bag on the same pump and timer with a Y fitting.  I had to drill some holes in the hull which is not a big deal.  got all my parts from wakemakers, aside from a couple fittings at the hardware store.  total cost was $2500ish all said and done.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, mswsetter00 said:

I plumbed in my rear bags, 750 lb, in my 2000 Wakesetter VLX. I tried to save some money by using some existing aerator pumps. However I couldn't get the fill to work so wound up buying two Shurflow 1100gph. I used some given to me 750 gph aerator pumps to drain. They take for ever to drain. I just purchased some Attwood 1200 gph pumps to replace them. I'm upgrading my belly/ski locker bag as it was waterbed bag, ugh, and will be replacing the original with the Attwood 800 gph pumps since the through hull fittings are already 3/4". I will be adding a bow bag and will use the Attwood 800 gph pumps for drain and fill.  

If your doing 800lb bags I would recommend getting the highest gph pumps you can get. That usually means getting a aerator style pump.
Reversible pumps cannot be run dry,  would recommend a timer for each pump and you have to change the impeller in them every few years. The reversible pumps in my Dad's 08' Nautique are louder than my aerator pumps. It is nice to only have to run hose for 1 pump per bag.

Aerator pumps require 2 per bag or you can splice but that is not good idea when filling 800lb sacks, will be TOO slow. They are way cheaper then reversible can buy 4 for price of 1 aerator.

You can purchase almost everything separate; hose,  hose clamps, aerator pumps, wire, ball valves, brass 90's or 45's,  thru hull fittings, switches, check valves etc. 
However you will need to purchase this stuff from multiple stores such as, Plumbing/Hardware, Big Box Stores, Marine stores. But that's a lot of time and driving from store to store. You will still have to purchase the bag fittings from someone like wakemakers if you want the quick disconnects. The quick disconnects are awesome!

If I had to do it over again, I would just buy the kit. You can call them and see if you can get the following pumps.

Fill pumps, Attwood  1200gph short 1" inlet 1-1/8" outlet. The inlet will thread into 1" pipe threads, i.e. 1" brass ball valve.

If you have any questions let me know. I just did this last summer and I'm adding bow bag this season.

Just an FYI... The Piranha Shurflow 1100s GPH are .75 intake 1 1/8 outtake and fit a standard .75 thru hull intake. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, mswsetter00 said:

I see no advantage at all to using the 1.125" inlet T1200. Use the 1" inlet for fill and drain. 

Kerpluxal. Yes I know the Shurflow have 3/4" intake and 1 1/8" exit, I used them to fill my rear bags. However I have a bunch of 3/4" fittings I bought to do the belly/ski locker bag. I'm debating on using the Shurflow again and getting more fittings.  Waiting for bags to fill is not fun, neither is wasting parts. I should really plan better. LOL

MLA I purchased the 1-1/8 Attwood 1200's on sale, I understand your point since the 1" inlet flows the same as the 1-1/8". I missed the sale on the 1" ones, wakemakers are out of stock. Yes I know there are other places to purchase.