Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Last Year Wood Stringers; Malibu, MasterCraft, Nautique?

MalibuCrew Folks,

A friend of mine (my kids coach) was asking me about an older, good quality, used direct drive boat. 

He'd like to have the following features:

-Direct Drive

-Slalom Skiing is priority (gasp!) 

-Bow rider is necessary 

-Decent Trailer 

-no wood in the floor 

-Budget $12-15K

I'm planning to share this link with him, because the info here is always really good.  I think he's open to any of the big (3) brands.

What year did they eliminate all the wood stringers and wood flooring in these models?  1995-1996, correct? 

Which models, specifically, should he target? 

When did EFI become standard in most of these boats? Does it make that big of a difference? 

FWIW, we are located down here in western NC. 

thanks for the help everyone!  Very much appreciate any help or insight you can offer. As always more detailed information, the better. 

My 1994 echelon did not have wood stringers and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I believe 93 echelon was also free of wood?  Great slalom tug!

27 minutes ago, bovhica said:

My 1994 echelon did not have wood stringers and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I believe 93 echelon was also free of wood?  Great slalom tug!

Correct, 93s didn't have wood either. First year they were that way.

7 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

Which models, specifically, should he target? 

When did EFI become standard in most of these boats? Does it make that big of a difference? 

Late 90's early 2Ks Malibu Echelon/Response open bow; late 90s Mastercraft Sportstar (watch out for the 90s vintage ProStars since some of them had chine issue and needed to be retrofitted with wings); Ski Nautique open bow (SNOB).  The Malibus of the late 90's are likely the best bet but construction is better in the SNOB.

I personally would never buy a non-EFI boat.  The only carburetted motor I will ever get is a 1957 Corvette convertible.  :)

MC stopped doing wood stringers halfway through the 1983 model year. 

I think Nautique and Bu both switched in 1993.

EFI- I think all three had it optional in 1992-1993ish, and seems like it was standard across the board by 1994-1995.

@Eagleboy99- Lots of 57s out there that were built with factory fuel injection! You can skip the carburetor on that one as well!

@Arctic Slalom- Models to target given slalom is a priority:  91-94 MC Prostar, '96+ TSC1/2 hull SNOB (Nautique) and of course Malibu Echelon and Response LX.  All have excellent slalom wakes, no wood and are direct drive.  The Malibu's will be Chevy powered and the others most likely Ford powered and all a mix of EFI, TBI or carb.  Nautiques use RHR props, the other two LHR, not a big issue but makes driving just a bit different.  Best barefooting hull of the three is the Malibu if he is interested in that.

Malibu open bows are the most useable and roomy and just my opinion the interiors are better layouts, the 'bubblebutt' Nautique is a fine slalom machine but the transom configuration is slightly annoying to sit and have ski on platform.  Quality level of the Nautique is top notch but the fuel system can be a bit of a maintenance issue.  On his Malibu search one thing to look for is a soft floor by the port side engine box and the condition of the HDS box (if it has one).  Look for loose pylons in all, but the MC seems more prone to that. 

Nautique started in 93 - some 92's also but 100% starting in 93. Mastercraft was 89 I believe? <Maybe a year or two earlier. Malibu in 93 from what ive read but I don't have any experience with those year Malibus

Have him go talk to the guys on CorrectCraftFan.com for info on the Nautiques, there are some true experts on those boats over there.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

Honestly on the EFI vs Carb question, I wouldn't be nervous at all about a Carb'd boat.  If the carb is in good shape and properly adjusted you won't have any issues.  Honestly a carb is simpler, and based on my experience just as reliable in a boat.

Edited by solorex
  • Like 3

Tell him to call me.   I'll have a 2000 Response LX for sale later this summer.   I'd sell it for $14k.   It's a clean boat .

If open bow takes priority over slalom wake, have him look for an Echelon LX. If vice versa, a Response LX. Might also be able to find a haggard Response LXi in that price range if he's handy.