Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on 2007 VLX. Please take a look.

shiftman

ttps://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/d/niota-07-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/6883060323.html

I tried to simply post this link to the original post but was unable to do so. I am scheduled to demo this boat on Wednesday evening, so any input would be greatly appreciated. The original asking price was 40k, so it has already been reduced. I am considering having a cashiers check for 35k with me just to see what happens. 

24 minutes ago, shiftman said:

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/d/niota-07-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/6883060323.html 

I tried to simply post this link to the original post but was unable to do so. I am scheduled to demo this boat on Wednesday evening, so any input would be greatly appreciated. The original asking price was 40k, so it has already been reduced. I am considering having a cashiers check for 35k with me just to see what happens. 

fixed the link for you. Looks clean, but I am no help for you. Good luck!

Looks like the back seats have been reupholstered and no longer match the rest of the interior. Not sure what that red tubing is coming off the engine? Looks like PEX pipe.

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The red tubing (not sure if it is HW plastic pipe, but sure looks like it) is off the low RPM Wye for the heater.

Would it have been like that from the factory, or has the original tubing been replaced with the red pipe?

1 hour ago, shiftman said:

Would it have been like that from the factory, or has the original tubing been replaced with the red pipe?

Likely added by previous owner when they added or modified the heater.  Not an issue.

Edit - I actually think it might be for a shower, pretty sure I am seeing a blue hose in that picture too.

00p0p_fTFHBvWB4O4_1200x900.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, shiftman said:

On the craigslist add at the top if you click the Purple reply button and then the Show phone number button it will give you the sellers phone number. I am sure they could give you the answer. Maybe could also request more pictures.

10 hours ago, tbullard said:

Looks like the back seats have been reupholstered and no longer match the rest of the interior. Not sure what that red tubing is coming off the engine? Looks like PEX pipe.

The ad does mention that the rear seats are sun faded, could that be it?

Overall, looks like it has been pretty well cared for (to me this is the MOST important thing), and for that matter visually at pretty nice boat --- although pictures can be deceiving.   

Lots of things missing from the ad, at least a few that I would want to get answered especially if you have to travel any distance to see it. 

• Which engine (maybe somewhere here will recognize it?).  Is it the original, or is the 512 after a rebuild?
  • Is there a cover, and if so what condition.   
  • Mentions hard ballast tanks - any additional bags?  Is it PNP ready?
  • How many owners?  How long has this owner had it?
  • Any maintenance records?  Was it maintained by the owner, or by a shop?  When was the last maintenance done, and what was done.
  • Any repair records?
  • Dont see a spare tire?   Glad I configured one on mine, my 2017 has already had one tire replaced.   
  • Dont know where this is located, but would want to know if it ever saw salt water

Just my humble opinion, find a good checklist to refer to when you go see it.    There are many out there available... when I bought my first boat, I found one that matched up pretty well (was fairly specific to IO drive train).  Its not that I couldn't think of the things that I should check myself, but I found during the search that it was easy to get caught up in the moment, and forget to check important stuff.  It saved me on a couple boats that Im glad I didnt buy.   It made my inspection very methodical, and helped keep the emotion out of it.    I printed it, took copious notes while I inspected, then reviewed the results in a critical state of mind.

Also, IMHO talking to the current owner is as important as looking at the boat (unless they are just flipping it).  It will tell you a lot about how meticulous they are about maintenance.  On my Crownline, I asked the owner to show me the maintenance points (Block plugs, oil, lube points, etc etc etc).  I already knew (or knew that I could find out) where all that stuff was, but it told me whether he had been maintaining it (he had). 

Looks like the price point is at least somewhat consistent with NADA...  I ran a quick and dirty NADA, it came up to about $40K

621345222_2007MalibuBoatsWAKESETTERVLXStandardEquipmentBoatValueBoatPriceCraftSpecs_NADAguides.JPG.3cf6dfec6ce2306e4638df519c0cff4e.JPG

formulaben
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Just my humble opinion, find a good checklist to refer to when you go see it.    There are many out there available... when I bought my first boat, I found one that matched up pretty well (was fairly specific to IO drive train).  Its not that I couldn't think of the things that I should check myself, but I found during the search that it was easy to get caught up in the moment, and forget to check important stuff.  It saved me on a couple boats that Im glad I didnt buy.   It made my inspection very methodical, and helped keep the emotion out of it.    I printed it, took copious notes while I inspected, then reviewed the results in a critical state of mind.

This.  Too many things to check doing it all from recall.

10 hours ago, tbullard said:

On the craigslist add at the top if you click the Purple reply button and then the Show phone number button it will give you the sellers phone number. I am sure they could give you the answer. Maybe could also request more pictures.

I talked with the owner before I posted. Most of the questions he could not answer. He bought the boat last April from a dealer in North Georgia and is having to sell because they are now expecting a child. He was not sure what version of motor, what hull design, or much about the boats history.

12 hours ago, shiftman said:

I talked with the owner before I posted. Most of the questions he could not answer. He bought the boat last April from a dealer in North Georgia and is having to sell because they are now expecting a child. He was not sure what version of motor, what hull design, or much about the boats history.

Not a good sign at all.  Means he didn’t care about condition when he bought .  Do the due diligence with the checklists above and an even  smaller cashiers check plus cash difference in your pocket adding up to your high point. 

Count on something being in need of attention regardless of checklist results , so only pay what you can now plus that cost of a fix on something coming plus any mods you will do within two years.  

Dont let spring boat fever win.  Seller has the spring upper hand, if you lose the boat , you lose the boat, 

you will only be more prepared the next time and with this physical inspection experience this time , you’ll make the best purchase decision 

Edited by granddaddy55

Dad's right...take a smaller check.  I found some things on inspection of my boat that would have scared most people off (and should have scared me off!).  In my case the dude was more concerned with carpet and gel coat than motor/fluids etc. Heck, the bilge pump and blower didn't even work.  In the end, I handed him the bank check (no cash) and he handed me the keys - which means I should have taken a smaller check. 

Thanks for the info folks. You folks are simply terrific. FYI-this wasn't a case of "spring fever" as I already have one boat. That said, I do know that some people fall victim to it. In this case, the boat sold before I could get to see it. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, shiftman said:

Thanks for the info folks. You folks are simply terrific. FYI-this wasn't a case of "spring fever" as I already have one boat. That said, I do know that some people fall victim to it. In this case, the boat sold before I could get to see it. 

So are you actively in the market for a new one this season?   Always a fun time...

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:59 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Right from the start you have 4 big pieces of vinyl to replace (sun deck and rear seats), so at least $1000 in that.

my same thoughts because those rear ski lockers are NOT "faded by the sun".  That is the infamous issue that Malibu had that era of boat (mine had it) where there were issues with a black cover > adhesive on the foam > upholstery > moisture and sun.  Malibu blamed Upholstery company, upholstery company blamed it on the adhesive used, etc.....  I'm not sure I would like the fact that he knows nothing about the boat.  This to me means that he is very inexperienced to even maintenance it properly (boat/engine/trailer) or understand if something is wrong or going bad to even troubleshoot or fix it.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, JeffC said:

So are you actively in the market for a new one this season?   Always a fun time...

Yes, but I do understand this is a seller's market at this time. I already have one boat, so I can take my time to see if I can find a decent value out there. If not, I will focus on "end of the season" sellers. I may also extend my search to Moomba's as well. I realize that they are a lower tier Supra, but I like their looks as well.

Edited by shiftman
17 minutes ago, shiftman said:

Yes, but I do understand this is a seller's market at this time. I already have one boat, so I can take my time to see if I can find a decent value out there. If not, I will focus on "end of the season" sellers. I may also extend my search to Moomba's as well. I realize that they are a lower tier Supra, but I like their looks as well.

I am actually a little reluctant to share this, as it is not my personal direct experience and I am not trying bash Moomba.   

One of my regular crew (and skilled a surfer) spent a long weekend with another friend of his on a brand new Moomba MAX (very pretty boat BTW).  The owner is a first time wake boat owner.    His perception was they were unable to get a wave out of it that was even close to my 22 VLX.  My recollection of the complaint was that by the time they got ANY length to the wave, there was effectively no push.    I dont recall how much weight he said they added over stock, but it was not immaterial.  I believe it has the 400 motor, but I am not sure about that either.   I dont know if they were using Autowake or not. 

For what it is worth, I run the full stock hard tanks on mine, plus a pair of 550's in the rear lockers. 

In all fairness, it did take a few outings on my boat before I figured out the relationships between weight, balance, speed, wedge, etc to get a good wave, but we have become fairly good at it.   I would be quite interested in hearing any experience you have with Moomba Demo's... especially if there is any tips tricks that we could pass along to the Moomba owner. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, hawaiianstyln said:

my same thoughts because those rear ski lockers are NOT "faded by the sun".  That is the infamous issue that Malibu had that era of boat (mine had it) where there were issues with a black cover > adhesive on the foam > upholstery > moisture and sun.  Malibu blamed Upholstery company, upholstery company blamed it on the adhesive used, etc.....  

Odd that a reaction to an adhesive would only occur in one spot. That said, I found another 08 Wakesetter with even worse spots in the same exact area. This seller is also calling the brown spots "sun spots".

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, shiftman said:

Odd that a reaction to an adhesive would only occur in one spot. That said, I found another 08 Wakesetter with even worse spots in the same exact area. This seller is also calling the brown spots "sun spots".

It happens on my inlaws LXI wherever the wet cover touches the boat.  They go away when the boat is left in the sun to dry.