Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Sounds amp for 4 REV10 Speakers

Chaddie

Looking for advice on which Wet Sounds Amp to run with 4 REV10 Speakers?  The G4 Tower is currently wired in parallel and would like to not have to rewire the tower.

23 minutes ago, Chaddie said:

and would like to not have to rewire the tower.

This would hinge on the gauge wired used and the amp wattage you choose to drive the speakers with. 

18 hours ago, tjklein said:

Wet Sounds SD2 is perfect in that scenario if you want to stay WS.  That's what I'm running in my MXZ.

Are you talking about Sinister-SDX2?  If so, I agree this one looks interesting as it puts out 2 x 620 Watts @ 2 ohms (which is what the amp will see given parallel wiring in the G4 tower).  So figure 310 watts per can.  But that's a $1,200 amp.  There's a cheaper way to do it.  

The other option is the SYN-DX2.3 HP.  At 2 x 600 Watts it's similar power to the Sinister-SDX2 but for much cheaper... It's $900.   

If by "SD2" you're referring to the SYN-DX2, that's not the amp you want.  It will only push 375 watts to each PAIR of Rev10's.  That's not even 200 per can.  Gotta feed those beasts.  Even if you rewired the tower to get to 4ohm, you'd still only get 200 to each can.  

Having owned a couple of G4 towers and attempted to rewire them... @Chaddie is on the right track not wanting to tackle that.  It's a major PITA and not worth it, IMHO.  My advice within the WS line is SYN-DX2.3 HP. @shawndoggy may have some other ideas for you if you don't want to spend the coin on Wetsounds amps.  

Edited by IXFE
6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Are you talking about Sinister-SDX2?  If so, I agree this one looks interesting as it puts out 2 x 620 Watts @ 2 ohms (which is what the amp will see given parallel wiring in the G4 tower).  So figure 310 watts per can.  But that's a $1,200 amp.  There's a cheaper way to do it.  

The other option is the SYN-DX2.3 HP.  At 2 x 600 Watts it's similar power to the Sinister-SDX2 but for much cheaper... It's $900.   

If by "SD2" you're referring to the SYN-DX2, that's not the amp you want.  It will only push 375 watts to each PAIR of Rev10's.  That's not even 200 per can.  Gotta feed those beasts.  Even if you rewired the tower to get to 4ohm, you'd still only get 200 to each can.  

Having owned a couple of G4 towers and attempted to rewire them... @Chaddie is on the right track not wanting to tackle that.  It's a major PITA and not worth it, IMHO.  My advice within the WS line is SYN-DX2.3 HP. @shawndoggy may have some other ideas for you if you don't want to spend the coin on Wetsounds amps.  

Sinister Series Amplifiers...Yes, SDX2.  The Syn series, while good isn't what the Sinister series is.  The Sinister Series can ramp down the power before thermal shutdown and is certainly beefier than the Syn-DX Series.  The 2.3HP came out just as I was doing my install, but I wanted all the amps to match and it still isn't quite the SD series.  

It's an expensive amp, but one of the few marine amps that can really push a set of 4 Rev10s well.  Tim at WS told me the 2.3HP will be close, but it's not  the Sinister line.  All that being said you could go a couple ways and get 90% of the performance for $300 less.  I bought my entire package through Earmark and they took good care of me.  

PS   Wiring the tower does indeed take patience! 

@Slurpee and @tjklein, are you both running the same tower configuration as the OP...? By that I mean two pair of Rev10’s at 2 ohm load (ie  one speaker wire per side, wired in parallel)..?

I'm asking because while I understand the OP not wanting to rewire the G4, it’s really easy to double up the speaker wire in a G3. 

I totally missed the G4 part.  I have a 2017 G3.2 (w/ levers) and am running them as a 2-Ohm load with one set of 12ga speaker wire up each base.  

The G4 is wired as a 2-Ohm load from the factory as well correct?  I thought they wired all towers from the factory to run just one tower amp at 2-ohm.  (14ga wire, at least it used to be which is fine for the most part)

11 hours ago, tjklein said:

I totally missed the G4 part.  I have a 2017 G3.2 (w/ levers) and am running them as a 2-Ohm load with one set of 12ga speaker wire up each base.  

The G4 is wired as a 2-Ohm load from the factory as well correct?  I thought they wired all towers from the factory to run just one tower amp at 2-ohm.  (14ga wire, at least it used to be which is fine for the most part)

2017 is the G3.5. The G3.2 has the clips, not the levers. 

Yes, the G4’s were wired at the factory as a 2 ohm setup (two sets of speaker wire going up the port side). Same with the G3.2’s and earlier.

The G3.5 is no longer wired at the factory (unless you order factory tower speakers). So the last three boats I’ve had to do it myself. Since I always use two tower amps and prefer to run at 4 ohm, I wire the tower with four sets of 14ga (all up the port base). 

89B31192-0AA1-4BE6-AEE0-BCE1B26A69F7.jpeg

And just in case someone is looking for this info in the future... the new Gx tower  is fully prewired from the factory even without ordering speakers. Mine was prewired all the way to the Amp board, all harnesses installed.

57 minutes ago, gregtay said:

And just in case someone is looking for this info in the future... the new Gx tower  is fully prewired from the factory even without ordering speakers. Mine was prewired all the way to the Amp board, all harnesses installed.

Good clarification.  G4 was the same way regardless of factory speakers or not. 

The issue remains that it's only one set of speaker wire to each side (2 ohm wired in parallel), which is fine if you're running off one amp.  If you want to run two amps in native 4 ohm, you have to add a second set of wire, which I'm sure isn't easy to do in a GX tower.  

5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

The issue remains that it's only one set of speaker wire to each side (2 ohm wired in parallel), which is fine if you're running off one amp.  If you want to run two amps in native 4 ohm, you have to add a second set of wire, which I'm sure isn't easy to do in a GX tower.  

Correct... the side of the Gx comes off so you have a easy access to the main wire runs but snaking wire down through the pivot point might be challenging but I believe there are also access panels that come off that area as well (to gain access to the motors, etc.) so it actually might be easier to rewire vs a fully enclosed one piece. tower. I’m just running 1 pair of Rev10s so for me the stock wiring setup is fine.

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

why couldn't you run two amps still with the paralleled factory wiring? Just bridge each two channel amp. you'd have a RIGHT channel amp, and LEFT channel amp.

1 hour ago, mrquick68 said:

why couldn't you run two amps still with the paralleled factory wiring? Just bridge each two channel amp. you'd have a RIGHT channel amp, and LEFT channel amp.

You could if your goal was just to have two amps.  But I'm talking about running at 4 ohm.  To do that you can't have parallel wiring.  

Edited by IXFE
  • 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I also have 2 pairs of Rev10s on 2014 247 LSV. The amps installed are factory and leave a lot to be desired. Would Malibu have wired this tower the same way as OPs?

There are only 2 sets of speaker wires going into the port side of the tower. There are some cables going into the starboard side, but i assume those are for lighting. 

8 minutes ago, dkscism said:

I know this is an old thread, but I also have 2 pairs of Rev10s on 2014 247 LSV. The amps installed are factory and leave a lot to be desired. Would Malibu have wired this tower the same way as OPs?

There are only 2 sets of speaker wires going into the port side of the tower. There are some cables going into the starboard side, but i assume those are for lighting. 

If you have 2 pair then they are most likely wired in parallel pairs for each channel. One channel for left channel and one channel for right. They would be 2 ohm pairs.

To be certain, you can test by putting a AA battery pos and neg to each of the pairs of speaker wire, you’ll hear the speakers moving. You can also take a multimeter and check resistance. Should be 2 ohms each pair. If you wanna stay at RMS, run em off an amp that can provide 600 watts at 2 ohm per channel. Syn dx 2.3, SDX2, they’ll be loud. Some people run them higher off different amps but need to be spot on with tuning. 

15 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Some people run them higher off different amps but need to be spot on with tuning. 

This would also require rewiring the tower to add two more 2-conductor cables, so each speaker has its own. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

This would also require rewiring the tower to add two more 2-conductor cables, so each speaker has its own. 

Most of the time yes, but it depends on amp they’re going with. If they were able to find an amp that can do 800x2 at 2ohm. 

10 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Most of the time yes, but it depends on amp they’re going with. If they were able to find an amp that can do 800x2 at 2ohm. 

or 750 x 1 @ 2ohm, like the HD(MHD) 750/1.  Just run one for right and one for left.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

or 750 x 1 @ 2ohm, like the HD(MHD) 750/1.  Just run one for right and one for left.

Yes or that! How would you sum left and right rcas? Splitters 

6 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Malibu has historically used a pair of 14/2 for either 1 or 2 pair. This is what you would find on a 2014. IMO, 600x2 FAR exceeds this. IMO, 600x2 is pushing 12/2. So going higher then this, are you going to pull 10/2 per side or a 12/4 each side? 

I would not suggest a single 14/2 per side on a 750W amp. Even then, one 750W p/pair is likely not an audible difference in volume  v's a single 600X2. Headroom? yes. Volume difference? No. 

arc 600.2

Same wattage to each pod, as the amp Brandon said some go bigger then. Fan cooled and not marine built also, SQ wise, top notch amp. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MLA said:

Malibu has historically used a pair of 14/2 for either 1 or 2 pair. This is what you would find on a 2014. IMO, 600x2 FAR exceeds this. IMO, 600x2 is pushing 12/2. So going higher then this, are you going to pull 10/2 per side or a 12/4 each side? 

I would not suggest a single 14/2 per side on a 750W amp. Even then, one 750W p/pair is likely not an audible difference in volume  v's a single 600X2. Headroom? yes. Volume difference? No. 

Same wattage to each pod, as the amp Brandon said some go bigger then. Fan cooled and not marine built also, SQ wise, top notch amp. 

I have seen some people adding conformal coatings to the arc amps. Most likely what I will do for next year.