Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top deck gel crack

In the first few hours on the water we seem to have developed a gel coat crack in the topk of our 2019 23LSV.   I happen to have a photo of this area from the day we unwrapped the boat three weeks ago and the crack wasn't there at that time.  Anyone else have a crack develop in this area?, if so any continuing issues after getting it fixed?  I am guessing no different than a spider crack.  The gelcoat/fiberglass is "wavy" in this area (either the mold is that way or it warped a little out of the mold) and I am guessing something is going on with how things cured that is allowing for a little more flexing than normal in this area which is leading to the top coat cracking.  My dealer is aware and will get it figure it out, but was just curious if anyone else had this happen in this spot (or have the "waviness" in this area)?  I am guessing just a gel issue and they can easily fix it up.

287487162_20190511_162943830_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.54adfdab2919e909045fde53ab8fc895.jpg

Edited by gregtay
ahopkins22LSV

First of all, no I haven’t seen that in that area before but i wouldn’t call it a out of no where blow up the internet issue. I’ve had some minor issues like that on my 19 too, but I just went to the dealer, they fixed it, and I moved on with my day. I say this because I have a really good relationship with my dealer, one that I don’t feel the need to go on the internet for every hiccup I have. That crack while, annoying to see and get fixed, is not hindering anything on the boat from use and can be fixed whenever. I went half a year before the off season to have them fix a gel defect that came from the factory. As others on here are famous for saying your relationship can make or break your boating experience. That’s my advice. I’m not saying you are doing anything wrong but maybe think about that before posting about every hang nail. And again, I’m not saying that is acceptable because I wouldn’t accept it either. These are hand built products and every boat is. I know people that have bought 750 thousand dollar sea rays that go in for gel crack and voids. Look at any boat long enough and you are going to see some gel imperfections or waviness in some area, on any brand. 

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

First of all, no I haven’t seen that in that area before but i wouldn’t call it a out of no where blow up the internet issue. I’ve had some minor issues like that on my 19 too, but I just went to the dealer, they fixed it, and I moved on with my day. I say this because I have a really good relationship with my dealer, one that I don’t feel the need to go on the internet for every hiccup I have. That crack while, annoying to see and get fixed, is not hindering anything on the boat from use and can be fixed whenever. I went half a year before the off season to have them fix a gel defect that came from the factory. As others on here are famous for saying your relationship can make or break your boating experience. That’s my advice. I’m not saying you are doing anything wrong but maybe think about that before posting about every hang nail. And again, I’m not saying that is acceptable because I wouldn’t accept it either. These are hand built products and every boat is. I know people that have bought 750 thousand dollar sea rays that go in for gel crack and voids. Look at any boat long enough and you are going to see some gel imperfections or waviness in some area, on any brand. 

Well said!!

• Like 2

Looks like a minor gel issue. Color should be easy to match and the repair should be a fairly quick one.

I'd send pictures to your dealer so they can go ahead and get it documented with Malibu and get it repaired in the off season.

• Like 1