Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Behind Axis A20

BJames

Can anyone out there help me with the set up to lessen the wake behind my boat so the in-laws can slalom?  I was hoping to get them to sell their ski boat so I can park my boat on their lift.  If I can get it where they like skiing behind my boat and it has minimal wake its a done deal.  

Edited by BJames
Rework

What speed?  You can look at short line. Often the boats have a very minimal wake if you shorten the rope. Problem is some boats the line will be very short. My old V drive had a good wake at 41' off.  At 36 mph.

They have a Moomba open bow, just open water skiers.  The mother in law takes it pretty serious.  I did also hear fill front ballast with spotter and driver only.  How much should I fill the front ballast?  I am going out tonight for test runs minus the in laws.

Edited by BJames
Misspell
ahopkins22LSV
34 minutes ago, BJames said:

They have a Moomba open bow, just open water skiers.  The mother in law takes it pretty serious.  I did also hear fill front ballast with spotter and driver only.  How much should I fill the front ballast?  I am going out tonight for test runs minus the in laws.

Probably full. 

Do your in-laws a favor and put the handle of the rope on the pylon then get up to speed. Have them pick a line section that is either all the way behind the rooster tail or in front of it at the flat table. Then have them get in the water to try it. Their normal speed and line length may not be what’s best for your boat. It’s very hard to give advice without knowing their exact setup now. IE - speed, line length, seeing them ski. My guess is at minimum 32.4mph, 34.2 is probably best. Then whatever line length gives them the flattest wake. Although that might be 32 off and they may not be comfortable at that short of line, pull is way different at 32 off then 15 off. 

42 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Probably full. 

Do your in-laws a favor and put the handle of the rope on the pylon then get up to speed. Have them pick a line section that is either all the way behind the rooster tail or in front of it at the flat table. Then have them get in the water to try it. Their normal speed and line length may not be what’s best for your boat. It’s very hard to give advice without knowing their exact setup now. IE - speed, line length, seeing them ski. My guess is at minimum 32.4mph, 34.2 is probably best. Then whatever line length gives them the flattest wake. Although that might be 32 off and they may not be comfortable at that short of line, pull is way different at 32 off then 15 off. 

Great advice!  Thanks for your input.

After you ski short line open water skiing I will never go back to a full line.  Every boat we ski now all world class boats we all ski 35' off and love it. Without turn marks its fun. If you wish it can be an outstanding workout or a nice easy ski.

You have no hope. I skied behind I/O’s for decades then bought an inboard. Since then I’ve skied behind v-drives and I/Os and I’ll never go back.

my advice: buy another lift, put it on the other side of their pier, and out your axis on it. Learn to drive their ski boat and teach them to surf.

best of both worlds. 👍

• Like 3
22 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Probably full. 

Wow, fill the 950 mushroom.  On A20 that’s prolly 725-850, but I don’t ski much more than 32.4 but i definitely do not ski at 32 off snd most open water “avid” skiers don’t either.  

Very interesting to hear what we would have had to do to pull it off.  We gave it up cause it hurt when I landed!( old skinny ski and that wake at 15 off was a hard actual landing like I was catching an air).    

It would have been fine for most including the wife at her level , but she was comparing to her outboard and she didn’t luv it enough to keep doing it

ahopkins22LSV
18 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Wow, fill the 950 mushroom.  On A20 that’s prolly 725-850, but I don’t ski much more than 32.4 but i definitely do not ski at 32 off snd most open water “avid” skiers don’t either.  

Very interesting to hear what we would have had to do to pull it off.  We gave it up cause it hurt when I landed!( old skinny ski and that wake at 15 off was a hard actual landing like I was catching an air).    

It would have been fine for most including the wife at her level , but she was comparing to her outboard and she didn’t luv it enough to keep doing it

I mean everyone is different with their expectations right? I know lots of people that open water only ski at -28 or -32, it is a better pull for staying in rhythm with the boat.

If the bow sac is actually that big, then no I wouldn't fill it all the way. I fill our bow tank all the way in the VTX, but it is going to be different for each model boat, and each skiers preference. I honestly can't tell the difference in the wake with the bow tank full or not, but the boat tracks better when full, so we fill it.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

The original A20 (2011-2015) was actually one of the better V-Drive slalom boats out there. I'm sure that changed with the hull change in 16.

I’ll need to try the bow weight ,but that was a vicious bump without it

i get passive filling of my bow bag so we used to close the valves to ski, I guess I should have left them open 

biggest problem I have now is we added 700 lead cause we have no crew, guess I’ll put 400 in bow 

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I’ll need to try the bow weight ,but that was a vicious bump without it

i get passive filling of my bow bag so we used to close the valves to ski, I guess I should have left them open 

biggest problem I have now is we added 700 lead cause we have no crew, guess I’ll put 400 in bow 

Put the handle on the pylon and get to the speed you Ski at to try to pick a line length that isn’t putting you in the worst part of the bump

• Like 1

Glad we ordered the pylon but recently it’s a knee knocker, but glad I didn’t get rid of it, in the occasion we pull a tube , it’s also nice to have for that 

we have to try it again with your recs 

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Put the handle on the pylon and get to the speed you Ski at to try to pick a line length that isn’t putting you in the worst part of the bump

And there is nothing from stopping you from adding a new loop - like at say, 19 feet off.  I've done that for friends with boats where the standard take-offs simply don't optimize the speed/wake.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And there is nothing from stopping you from adding a new loop - like at say, 19 feet off.  I've done that for friends with boats where the standard take-offs simply don't optimize the speed/wake.

Yes good point! In-Tow makes great mainlines and they already an option to get half sections and I’m sure they would make anything you wanted.