Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Update dash display and features

kylesullens

I have an 06 23LSV with the small digital console display.  I would like to upgrade to a more modern display, similar to what is in the more recent boats.  Is there a path to upgrade thru Malibu, or an aftermarket provider?

The existing display is starting to malfunction.  If i'm going to spend $$ on it, I'd like to get an upgrade.

dash.png

2 hours ago, kylesullens said:

I have an 06 23LSV with the small digital console display.  I would like to upgrade to a more modern display, similar to what is in the more recent boats.  Is there a path to upgrade thru Malibu, or an aftermarket provider?

The existing display is starting to malfunction.  If i'm going to spend $$ on it, I'd like to get an upgrade.

dash.png

Likely a very challenging path to go down.  That hull and dash never had Malivue in the 23LSV.. only 2008 and newer boats every had the dash parts designed/built (Malivue wasn't an option till the 2009 MY but Malibu did make a retrofit kit for the one off 2008 23LSV dash but even with that kit it required a new main computer and even some new sensors.)  I am not going to say it is "impossible" to find some old parts and put something together that at least "turns on the screen and gives basic info" but even after spending a ton of money the resulting solution would likely only partially function.  Sounds like a fun project.

There is an option, but it would be a project. There is no plug n play option available that I am aware of.  I have Malivue, but from my understanding no replacement screens are available. So this had me thinking on the what if option that you are currently in.

First questions to ask are what would you want to presented on the screen?

What would you use a screen (I have been thinking tablet based for me).

Now the fun part is decoding the signals from the sensors and presenting them up there. Not rocket science.. but the grey unknown lol.. Some functions can be handled by pre-existing apps (Stereo control, GPS speed, water temp, ext temp).

Is there a color screen that would fit in the bezel above and then use an Arduino or similar to decode the existing sensors perhaps?

• 1 month later...

The dash you have is 10 times more reliable then maliview. Stay simple and stay on the water. We would always joke that the best boat to have is a 2013 V-ride with toggle switches and just add surfgate.

Edited by Malibuwrench

I am not sure what all those screens do, but I suspect other than a display for PerfectPass nothing useful.  You could go "old skool" and put a nice GPS speedo and PP into a new dash insert and skip all the computerized garbage.

49 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am not sure what all those screens do, but I suspect other than a display for PerfectPass nothing useful.  You could go "old skool" and put a nice GPS speedo and PP into a new dash insert and skip all the computerized garbage.

They show lots of things.  Like what track is currently annoying everyone on the lake via your loudspeaker system. 

• 11 months later...

FYI - Just learned today that medallionis.com sells these screens at $179.30 + $20 shipping. They also sell the overlays if your screen is functioning but has clouded over. $10.50 for the overlay with ballast  and $1.00 ea for the dash display buttons. Janel Gessaman CS rep at Medallion just sent me the info - [email protected]

Steve

30 minutes ago, sjaltus said:

FYI - Just learned today that medallionis.com sells these screens at $179.30 + $20 shipping. They also sell the overlays if your screen is functioning but has clouded over. $10.50 for the overlay with ballast  and $1.00 ea for the dash display buttons. Janel Gessaman CS rep at Medallion just sent me the info - [email protected]

Steve

The same ones that Bakes is selling for double the price?

Would anyone want to try and help with me to code for older boats and see if we can try and figure out how to upgrade existing dashes. It sounds like a fun project 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

The same ones that Bakes is selling for double the price?

yes, this is where Bakes gets them. They were kind enough to share their source with me. Medalliion makes these OEM screens for Malibu and a number of other boat makers. You cannot order from their site but if you contact their CS via web form they get right back to you. Apparently they have the parts in inventory. Only drawback is standard $20 shipping so my $10.50 overlay cost $30.50 but hey I have a fix less than the cost of a new unit.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, sjaltus said:

yes, this is where Bakes gets them. They were kind enough to share their source with me. Medalliion makes these OEM screens for Malibu and a number of other boat makers. You cannot order from their site but if you contact their CS via web form they get right back to you. Apparently they have the parts in inventory. Only drawback is standard $20 shipping so my $10.50 overlay cost $30.50 but hey I have a fix less than the cost of a new unit.

I just ordered the overlay and the price was the same ($10.50 + $20.00 shipping).  On the positive side, they were extremely quick to respond to my request and very friendly!  I am happy to get rid of the cloudy screen.  

Edited by Bu hoo
On 6/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, Malibuwrench said:

The dash you have is 10 times more reliable then maliview. Stay simple and stay on the water. We would always joke that the best boat to have is a 2013 V-ride with toggle switches and just add surfgate.

its called a ‘14 Axis

• 9 months later...