Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1988 Malibu sunsetter tune up

I have replaced the cap rotor and plugs but am still feeling a surge here and there and am thinking fuel filters. I cant seem to find an in line anywhere. I looked on top of the tank after seeing a few posts but found nothing. I have a mechanical fuel pump and it's got a carb.

I'm fairly sure Indmar used a fuel filter/water separator on Carb'd engines back then. 

Try this thread: 

1 hour ago, TroyNic said:

I have replaced the cap rotor and plugs but am still feeling a surge here and there and am thinking fuel filters. I cant seem to find an in line anywhere. I looked on top of the tank after seeing a few posts but found nothing. I have a mechanical fuel pump and it's got a carb.

Does it look similar to this?  That white filter on the bottom left is a fuel/water separator. That is likely the only filter that you have, unless there is a screen at the inlet to the carb.

59df7bceaa6aa_Enginefront.jpg.d876d2fc17f735bdaebc4593f4de5be6.jpg

I did find a little screen one at the carb...nothing major in it....how often should the separator thing be changed? Picked up used so probably good idea to change?

4 hours ago, TroyNic said:

I did find a little screen one at the carb...nothing major in it....how often should the separator thing be changed? Picked up used so probably good idea to change?

I change mine every two years.  I did have a hesitation/surge symptom one year, changed that filter and it disappeared.

5 minutes ago, TroyNic said:

Ok....thank you..is it as simple as swapping the lines out and reattaching?

No, it spins off like an oil filter.  Dispose of the old one and replace with a new one.

17 minutes ago, TroyNic said:

Ok....thank you..is it as simple as swapping the lines out and reattaching?

It is easier than that, the lines do not have to be loosened or disconnected.  Simply spin off the old filter and spin on the new one, exactly the same way you would an oil filter.

Yep. The white part spins away from the housing. Counterclock wise. Careful, it is full of gas !  No smoking. You will spill some, so have some kind of way of wiping any spills. You will need something to pour the gas into. Lawnmower close by?

Steve B.