Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Output on channel 3 and 4 of Wetsounds SD6 dead

pknappe

I installed a SD6 amp that is running my 4 pair of in boat speakers, a JL audio 750.1 for the pair of Rev 10's, and a WS420 amp, in August of 2016. Today when I started up my boat and checked the stereo after the winter storage, I noticed no sound coming from my front speakers. Everything was working fine when I put the boat away last year. 

I tried adjusting the balance and fader, but still no sound. I then switched the speakers from inputs 1 and 3, and the front speakers worked but the rear ones did not. I also tried switching the input switch back and forth, and I tried putting the input to 3 and 4 versus 1-2. Still no sound out of the front cabin speakers. I think the output from the zone 3-4 is dead. Can this be repaired or is there something I can try? Hate to loose a $1300 amp after just two seasons of light use.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

If im reading correctly, bow pair is on chnl 3 only? Any speakers on chnl 4? So you moved chnl 3 and 4 output plugs to 1 & 2 and the suspect speakers played? And the original 1 and 2 do not play when moved to 3 and 4? Did you try plugging the RCA into the 3/4 inputs and moving the corresponding input switch? 

MLA,

One pair of bow speakers in on channel 3 output and one pair on channel 4 output. I switched the output between 1 and 3, but did not try 2 and 4, assuming the same result, but I can try that as well.

I did move the inputs from 1/2 to 3/4, and only the rear speakers worked, with the original setup of the bow speakers on outputs 3/4 and the rear speakers on outputs 1/2. Also changed the input switch to 3/4 during this test. 

Sounds like most external causes have been eliminated. Contact the manufacturer or original retailer for assistance. There may be a solution other then a new purchase. 

MLA,

Thanks for the input. Have contacted Odin at Earmark Audio to see what my options are. Will post results.

One questions, could I hook up the rear and box speakers to the same output 1/2? I realize this would decrease the power, but better than nothing, at least in the short term. Could this have an adverse affect on the amp for outputs 1/2?

Peter

In doing some further investigation, I noticed that my stock Rockford M262B speakers, rated at 4 ohms each, are wired in parallel.  That is each pair, wired in parallel, has a resistance of around 2.6 ohms. Could this be the reason one part of the amp is blown? Wouldn’t the fuse or internal protection prevent an overload?

The amp is designed for a 2 ohm per chnl nominal impedance. Fuses are for protecting the power supply side. The amp does protect itself from a low impedance and can flash a "speaker short" code. 

MLA,

Thanks for the input. So still a mystery why it failed.  Ended up hooking one of my old Rockford amps to one set of the in cabin speakers. Does seem like the sound quality out of the SD6 is better than the Rockford P400X4.