Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cant figure out how to set up bimini

ageless

I have 2010 vlx with the g3 tower we just bought and from the pictures and research I've done it looks like we have the great lakes bimini on it. That being said I cant figure out how to set it up. There are 2 clamps attached to the front tower tube with little nubs to put poles on and there are areas for poles on the bimini frame itself. I found what I think are the poles in the boat but do they really come completely out everytime? If so why is there a little set screw on the bimini frame side of where the poles would go in? Do I fold the bimini forward and insert the poles and then stretch it back and lock it in the back? Seems like that would be really tough by yourself? Also the front curved frame dosent seem to lock in anywhere. Does it just kind of free float there once the frame is stretched? Having a difficult time with this one guys. I have a pic of the bimini design I have that is fully deployed from the internet but I cant seem to find any set by step instructions on set up and take down. No videos either. Can someone help a new malibu former tige owner out? 

Edited by ageless

From what I recall, the front curved poles go to into the clamps on the tower bar and when you attach the rear poles to the tower quick connects the tension on the canvas holds everything together.  There are usually set screws to secure the front poles to the tower clamps and spring loaded buttons that secure the poles to the front bimini frame.  The set screws and buttons are really not necessary in my opinion.  The rear poles are usually a tube-in-tube design with another spring loaded button so they can be shortened to change the canvas tension.  When the rear poles are disconnected from the tower and the rear canvas is folded forward, it will take the tension off so the front bimini frame can be removed from the curved poles.  Many tops have a pocket in the canvas or in the boot to store the curved poles, but I always put them in the glovebox.

So the clamps on the front tube are loose enough for them to spin. Doni need to put the curved tubes into the frame and then the end into the clamps and then spin then forward until the binini is locked or is them being that loose just a coincidence? 

Should have a tit/button on a “V” spring clip inside of the small poles to hold the small front curved poles onto the female front Bimini pole bar. The screw sounds like the clip fell out. I used to lay the canvas out full on the tower, insert the small poles, raise the back of the Bimini high enough to insert the front poles and pull down on the rear and secure the rear vertical poles.

56eab4f77b87f_G3poles.jpg.9da6630fce6d73522b833ff7f4918c6c.jpg