Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEW BOAT PURCHASE

jjiseman

Hey all,

I am new to the forum here, but i am looking for some insight on opinions for my next boat purchase. I am trying to decide between three different boats, and i am looking for best value (not loose my a** when i go to sell down the road), best reliability, and best wake for wake/surf. Here are the three boats i am looking at:

1. 2015 SUPRA SG450 with 160 hours for $80k
2.2018 (new) Malibu 22 VLX for $99k
3. 2019 Mastercraft NXT 22 for $84k

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences, want to make a solid purchase for my family to enjoy.

I can’t speak for 1 and 3, but how is 2 optioned?   $99K seems a bit high for a holdover 22 VLX, but I may be out of touch with price points there.   It is a great boat, but technically is replaced with the 22LSV now, so that is a last year model.   The NXT isn’t even in the same class as the other two boats listed IMO.   They are the value boat from Mastercraft.    What are you looking for in your next boat?  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I can’t speak for 1 and 3, but how is 2 optioned?   $99K seems a bit high for a holdover 22 VLX, but I may be out of touch with price points there.   It is a great boat, but technically is replaced with the 22LSV now, so that is a last year model.   The NXT isn’t even in the same class as the other two boats listed IMO.   They are the value boat from Mastercraft.    What are you looking for in your next boat?  

Yes, I agree with the price of the 18 22 lsv being a lot high. Go for it, but bring it down 10k or more. It is a hold over and it is the last year before Malibu remodeled it.  

• Like 1

Hard pass on the NXT. It’s not even close to the others on your list. 

I used to really like the SG, but Supra obviously didn’t because they cancelled it after just a few years. I don’t think it sold very well. 

Also agree $99k is a bit much for a leftover. You could buy a brand new 22 LSV at the show for $105k.  If you’re willing to spend $100ish, look for a leftover or demo 23 LSV. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, jjiseman said:

I am looking for best value (not loose my a** when i go to sell down the road), best reliability, and best wake for wake/surf. 

You need to be looking at older boats if you don't want to loose your shirt when you sell it.  A one or two year old boat is still going to depreciate quite a bit.  Look for a five year old or older boat.  By that point, the depreciation rate slows a lot.  The values will still go down, but not as fast as as new boat.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, jjiseman said:

Hey all,

I am new to the forum here, but i am looking for some insight on opinions for my next boat purchase. I am trying to decide between three different boats, and i am looking for best value (not loose my a** when i go to sell down the road), best reliability, and best wake for wake/surf. Here are the three boats i am looking at:

1. 2015 SUPRA SG450 with 160 hours for $80k
2.2018 (new) Malibu 22 VLX for $99k
3. 2019 Mastercraft NXT 22 for $84k

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences, want to make a solid purchase for my family to enjoy.

My lil 21 VLX out surfs my buddies 22 NXT all day out of the box.  Like most have said, not a good comparison with the others on your list.  And MC does make really nice boat - not hating at all.

Check out this video for a comparison of a 22 LSV Vs XT22.  Although these are not the boats you are considering, I think it is very telling the differences in wave between these two manufacturers.  Since Supra appears to use a very similar technique for wave production, I would assume its wave pattern would be similar to the MC.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your input everyone, this is the exact feedback i was looking for. I agree, when i went and saw the NXT22 u was very unimpressed. I am currently leaning towards the Malibu.

Price seems kinda high on all 3.

The NXT22 is not at the same finish grade as the other 2, but it should also be about 70-77k, depending on options. A rear bag swap is needed to bring it up to par on the surf wave.

The SG needs boot shaped bags installed, and a bow bag to put it up to par. It has almost zero storage after setting it up to surf decent. Finish quality is good for the money. Stock wake performance is not. There is a reason they only made that boat for like 2 years.

for the 90-100k price range, you should be able get into a XT22, which is more like the VLX in fit and finish.

The VLX definitely wins my vote on your three options, even at the higher price. It is a lot more boat. If you were comparing to a XT22 at similar price, it could go either way.

IMHO, I’d completely skip the SG. No warranty, no model recognition for resale, and needs too much additional ballast added. Even then, it’s much harder to dial in than almost every other Supra boat from that model year. There are better Supra’s to look at for performance.

• Like 3

I was in the market earlier this spring. I went to every stocking dealer of every brand represented within 120 miles. I probably crawled around and in over 100 boats in about a 3 week span. Originally i was looking at a used 2015 Supra 450, thought i could do better for the money. Then moved to the NXT which because of the name, i thought was a good choice. But quickly learned that these boats are somewhat complicated to set-up for consistent results. As I continued to learn more and more about these newer boats, I started to zero in on a very short list of models. 

I had my eye on a used 2 year old Malibu (2017) 23LSV w/ warranty when I started reading all of the forums. I learned quickly that all were not created equal and depending on use, there are boats that definitely out perform the others without spending more than 100k. Not knowing any better by reading the negative quality reviews on the AXIS brand, I had not considered an AXIS. I was trying to get bang for buck/ resale by only looking at lightly used Malibu, Master Craft, Supra, and Natique (the brands with great following along with reputable dealer networks in my area). Once I started to learn more about the AXIS A22, T23, A24 along with the MOOMBA Max, Craze, and Makai, I changed gears and put forth all energy trying to find one of these models to test run in the color scheme of my liking. We found a 2019 Craze and a Max local and a T23 about 75 miles up the road. But before we could get a test run set-up on the MOOMBA's, I went to look at the 2019 T23 and found a new leftover 2018 A24 in my color. Although it didn't have a surf pipe, PW, or 20" wheels, the family liked the size, basic controls, and the thought of saving $25k+ off of list. I was able to get out on the lake in the A24 within a few days of finding it and I was very impressed. The quality was as good or better than any of the other brands we had looked at and was able to get the boat for a great price. 

My takeaway from the surf/ wake boat buying experience is you need to figure out what's important to you and your family. Do your own research and put in the effort to look at as many boats as it takes to figure out what makes sense. What matters to you may not matter to anyone else and vice-versa. 

Space, wave, simplicity, and cost were my top priorities. I had pre-set my spend at $100k. At first, I wasn't sure it was going to work out.  We have put nearly 40 hours on our new A24 since purchasing in March. It's very consistent, gets better with a crowd, and has yet to yield anything but fun.

Good Luck!

Edited by jm8574