Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on using a swim platform cover?

weekender

Hi

Was wondering if there were any downsides to using a canvas swim platform cover secured by a bungee strap.

Looks to be fine except that it's basically in the lake water mostly and I was thinking if there's any algea build up over the week it may more easily trap it inside the cover and stain the gatorstep on the platform or something.

Anyone have experience or use these? Just want to try and protect the boat from sun/elements as much as possible 

I prefer one that does not cover the swim platform.  The cover is more difficult to put on when the boat is in the water because you can't stand on the platform and put the cover over it at the same time.

I have one - a separate cover for only the swim platform.  It is different from an integrated platform/boat cover that gives it a bit more breathing room.  I honestly can't decide whether it is a positive or not.  My swim platform sits in the sun, so there is benefit to it not being blasted all the time.  On the flip side if it is wet, algae and mold can build up and I've had that happen.  I've also had birds land/s*** on it without the cover.  It is a toss-up.  My plan is for extended periods like winter, put it on when dry only, but in the summer when repeat use and wet I don't bother any longer.

i have a separate one (made by Cory) that has elastic around the edge.  I love it.  Keeps the sun off and keeps the top of the platform from baking in the sun.  Easy to put on last. 

• Like 4
ahopkins22LSV

I’ve been using an individual platform cover for almost 3 years now. I always put it on right away after a days use. I do always wipe the boat down so it’s pretty much dry before the cover goes on. I’ve never had a trace of mold or mildew under the platform cover. Even through long layups with lots of rain. Like right now...

• 1 year later...

My boat is always stored in garage except on lake days. Mine is only used while on the trailer. I put it on after the boat goes back in the garage and stays on till everyone is in the boat on the trailer ready to back down the ramp. I always back boat down with another driver to back off trailer. All the dirty feet/shoes climbed on the covered platform, take off shoes/flops and walk bare feet in boat. I then pull the cover off and throw it in the truck as I walk to truck to splash the boat. My feet enter from bow when they pick me up at dock. This also keeps my dirty feet on the cover the 12 times I enter and exit while the boat is in the garage getting prepped for the next weeks adventures. This keeps a lot of the grass/dirt/gravel in our loading zone from grinding into my SeaDek on platform. Used for foot grime protection only.

52 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My boat is always stored in garage except on lake days. Mine is only used while on the trailer. I put it on after the boat goes back in the garage and stays on till everyone is in the boat on the trailer ready to back down the ramp. I always back boat down with another driver to back off trailer. All the dirty feet/shoes climbed on the covered platform, take off shoes/flops and walk bare feet in boat. I then pull the cover off and throw it in the truck as I walk to truck to splash the boat. My feet enter from bow when they pick me up at dock. This also keeps my dirty feet on the cover the 12 times I enter and exit while the boat is in the garage getting prepped for the next weeks adventures. This keeps a lot of the grass/dirt/gravel in our loading zone from grinding into my SeaDek on platform. Used for foot grime protection only.

I am glad that I'm not the only one with "rituals" when it comes to launching the boat.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Exactly what I do. 

My cover has a built in swim platform cover and I find it essential.  My boat spends its life in a lift with its butt sticking out in the sun.  The slip fits a 20' boat fine but mine is 23' plus swim platform.  My flight keeps it out of the water so I do not get any algae or mold.