Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loose tower

I have a 2014 A24 and the tower feels a bit loose. It's not terrible,  and I only notice it when I push at the base specifically, and then were talking millimeters. The first time I thought something was odd was going over chop and it kinda rattled. I took a look underneath and on the one side all three nuts were flush. On the other side two of the three were flush, but the middle one was about a quarter inch off. None of the nuts can be hand tightened or loosened, and I can't really maneuver any tools up in there at the moment.

Here are my options. 1. Don't worry about it ask the dealership to check it out at the next oil change. 2. Stop using the tower, but use the boat normally until next oil change and have them look at it. 3. Stop using boat immediately and have someone look at it.

I've scoured the internet and cannot find anything on Axis boats and loose tower.

Also, I'm new to this boat, so I don't know what the history is and if this has been going on for a long time or not.

I wish it was that easy. I can't really get any tools into the space and the nuts feel tight with my hands, which I know doesn't mean much.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:20 AM, abovewater said:

Ok, I got down in there with the right tools and tightened everything I could. The tower no longer feels loose, so I'm glad about that.

What did you tighten other than the hex bolt at forward hinge base??  oh you don’t have tower knobs!?

i tried tightening the hex Allen bolt at my front hinge base previously and it didn’t tighten.  I have some small amount of  play more on one side than other at the hinge joint when I pull and push on it by hand 

Did you actually tighten the Allen bolt successfully eliminating all play at the hinge ?

Edited by granddaddy55

My issue was where the tower actually attaches to the boat. If I held the base of the tower(below the hex bolt you're describing) I could feel some movement. I laid on the seat and reached my hand inside the boat. Using a socket I tightened the three nuts and that solved my problem. Does that make sense?

15 hours ago, abovewater said:

My issue was where the tower actually attaches to the boat. If I held the base of the tower(below the hex bolt you're describing) I could feel some movement. I laid on the seat and reached my hand inside the boat. Using a socket I tightened the three nuts and that solved my problem. Does that make sense?

Your talking about your tower base being loose ?  Wow if that’s the case , that’s bad !  

Glad you fixed it could have really damaged your gunnel and can’t believe it didn’t already damage it 

my bases have always been rock solid 

Loose is a vague term. I would say the nuts on the base of the tower were snug, but in need of some tightening. And yeah, I'm glad there wasn't any damage to anything.