Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Setup For Surfing On An 07 Malibu VRide (Silver Anniversary)

Joee

Recently purchased this boat and I really want to try out surfing this summer.  As of now I have the power wedge, rear locker hard tanks, center tank, and just purchased the acme 1615 prop(currently running acme 1161).  Needing advice on what to add to get this setup up to par. TIA

Much appreciated, I was looking at maybe removing the hard tanks in the rear and putting some plug and play 850s in the rear. Any suggestions on a surfgate for this boat in particular? Also have no clue about what type of board to get for not only me but so other people can use it as well. I am 6’1 about 170?

ahopkins22LSV
40 minutes ago, Joee said:

Much appreciated, I was looking at maybe removing the hard tanks in the rear and putting some plug and play 850s in the rear. Any suggestions on a surfgate for this boat in particular? Also have no clue about what type of board to get for not only me but so other people can use it as well. I am 6’1 about 170?

I’d check out wakemakers to see if they have a piggy back system to add plug n play bags that will sit in the lockers above your hard tanks. 

I replaced my hard tanks with 750's and have a 650 sack I put on top of the seats in the bow.  I also use a mission delta and it's helped the wave.  With two young kids we don't get out enough to really dial in the wave.  Most of our time in the last few years has been relaxing and floating.  

23 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’d check out wakemakers to see if they have a piggy back system to add plug n play bags that will sit in the lockers above your hard tanks. 

yes I was looking at wakemakers for a piggyback pnp system. And either removing the hard tanks or just leaving them in and adding bags. My hard tanks are the ones that stand up and tucked tight to the side so I may have room to put bags in there I addition.

22 hours ago, efjeld said:

I replaced my hard tanks with 750's and have a 650 sack I put on top of the seats in the bow.  I also use a mission delta and it's helped the wave.  With two young kids we don't get out enough to really dial in the wave.  Most of our time in the last few years has been relaxing and floating.  

So you think for my boat the best bet would be a mission delta wake shaper?

Anyone have any input on a board size? 

1 hour ago, Joee said:

yes I was looking at wakemakers for a piggyback pnp system. And either removing the hard tanks or just leaving them in and adding bags. My hard tanks are the ones that stand up and tucked tight to the side so I may have room to put bags in there I addition.

So you think for my boat the best bet would be a mission delta wake shaper?

Anyone have any input on a board size? 

The Mission Delta makes a huge difference.  Before we got it I was pretty much guessing to to list the boat.  I don't have much input on boards or board size.  It's mostly dependent on rider weight.

59 minutes ago, efjeld said:

The Mission Delta makes a huge difference.  Before we got it I was pretty much guessing to to list the boat.  I don't have much input on boards or board size.  It's mostly dependent on rider weight.

Ok thank you, 6’1” 170lbs but I would like to get not only a board for me but also so others can use it as well

Others have liked this one, https://nauticurl.com/

If you have the tanks that are in the storage and not below the floor I would probably remove them.  There will not be much difference in price of bags but you will get more weight back there in addition to a simpler system.

As @wakesonthesnake said, I would take out the hard tanks and put in 750 or 800 sacks.  Lots simpler and you'll get more weight in there.  A bow bag and/or bags of shot/lead will keep the bow down a bit and improve the wake.

Get in touch with @martinarcher if you're at all handy and install your own surf gates.

• Like 1

@wakesonthesnake yes, they are the tanks on the top of the floor so I’m most likely just going to take them out and add a 750lb/800 PnP system. As for the center hard tank, should I even fill that or just get a 400lb bag for the bow and tap right into the center tank with a PnP type system? 

The center tanks are usually pretty big, definitely worth leaving.  I find the  center tank is the one I fill for everything.  It gives the boat a better ride, and good for even beginner wakeboarders.  If I am light on crew I even put a sack on the floor above the center tank for surfing in addition to the bow weight.   You can do a reversible pump or over the side for the bow.  It is the easiest place to use a over the side as people are not tripping on the lines and you are not reaching into the lockers.  I eventually did a reversible.  

13 hours ago, Joee said:

ok sounds good,  I will have to look into a reversible pump for the bow. How much weight though 400lb sufficent? 

Not sure on bag size.  Call Wakemakers, they can tell you the correct bag size.  If you are a supporting member here you get a discount there.  My membership has paid for itself many times over in discounts and help on the forum.

• Like 1