Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First surf session behind our 2019 25LSV

Dfowkes

6 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Is this a sign that Malibu will be manufacturing their own flooring option in the coming years?  I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't want to use their logo.  Is the Malibu logo available if you order gatorstep from the factory on a new build?  They took trailers and motors in house so is flooring the next process to take in house?

Doubtful. They use GatorStep for Axis and SeaDeck for Malibu(smart to have vendor diversity!) And Malibu is very sue happy and protective of their branding and technology(reasonably so.)  Malibu sells SeaDeck as an option for about 2-3x what it cost you to order it up and install it yourself(but you can’t customized the factory pieces other than Grey or tan.) They want people to order from the factory or dealer and pay full price (and get the official pieces with the logos.)  Apparently up till recently you could still get GatorStep with the logos if you asked Malibu for permission (which they would give you) to create a custom design but recently Malibu started saying no to those requests and pointing you to your dealer if you wanted to order flooring, etc.

Im not sure if you can go through a SeaDeck reseller and get the logos... maybe since they are the official supplier but maybe not.

ahopkins22LSV
32 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Doubtful. They use GatorStep for Axis and SeaDeck for Malibu(smart to have vendor diversity!) And Malibu is very sue happy and protective of their branding and technology(reasonably so.)  Malibu sells SeaDeck as an option for about 2-3x what it cost you to order it up and install it yourself(but you can’t customized the factory pieces other than Grey or tan.) They want people to order from the factory or dealer and pay full price (and get the official pieces with the logos.)  Apparently up till recently you could still get GatorStep with the logos if you asked Malibu for permission (which they would give you) to create a custom design but recently Malibu started saying no to those requests and pointing you to your dealer if you wanted to order flooring, etc.

Im not sure if you can go through a SeaDeck reseller and get the logos... maybe since they are the official supplier but maybe not.

I love my gatorstep top deck and have nothing but good things to say with working with them, but 2-3x times the price for the factory option is inaccurate. The msrp for our flooring was just shy of 1500. If you factor in a 18-20 percent discount from msrp your are at about 1200. Gatorsteps flooring kit is just shy of 900 for 2019 and just north of 900 for 2016-18 plus shipping. Honestly not sure of the difference. So depending on how much your value your time for install you aren’t much off. Now if you score during a group buy then yeah you are saving more. 

Again, GS is great, but I was also willing to fork over the couple hundred to have it all completed at delivery :)

16 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I love my gatorstep top deck and have nothing but good things to say with working with them, but 2-3x times the price for the factory option is inaccurate. The msrp for our flooring was just shy of 1500. If you factor in a 18-20 percent discount from msrp your are at about 1200. Gatorsteps flooring kit is just shy of 900 for 2019 and just north of 900 for 2016-18 plus shipping. Honestly not sure of the difference. So depending on how much your value your time for install you aren’t much off. Now if you score during a group buy then yeah you are saving more. 

Again, GS is great, but I was also willing to fork over the couple hundred to have it all completed at delivery :)

Good point. I was comparing the price for a good group buy that I got in on vs. retail from a dealer/Malibu. I enjoyed the install and choosing which pieces I wanted/didn’t want and doing some customizing. I am sure for some people they would much rather just let the factory do it. I was a little bummed I couldn’t get the logos in my custom order.. but certainly understand Malibu’s position.

• Like 1

On another note, one option I do not have is the power lift seat. Please let me know if you have it and if you use it to see over the bow.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Installation is a very strong word when you're talking about Gatorstep.  It's basically peel and stick.  Your time must be worth a lot more than mine if you aren't willing to put some stickers on.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Installation is a very strong word when you're talking about Gatorstep.  It's basically peel and stick.  Your time must be worth a lot more than mine if you aren't willing to put some stickers on.

I know it’s very simple, but when you take delivery of your new boat in the middle of August, the family wants to go immediately not waiting for dad to do something. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I know it’s very simple, but when you take delivery of your new boat in the middle of August, the family wants to go immediately not waiting for dad to do something. 

...mid August during the nicest summer we've had in decades... good choice! If it were a spring delivery this year, we would all be hassling you more over this decision:lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

On another note, one option I do not have is the power lift seat. Please let me know if you have it and if you use it to see over the bow.

I have the power lift seat in my 23. We do use it to see over the bow or just to get up a little higher without having to use the flip cushion. I had added the seat riser on my last 23 so I was used to being up a little higher. Also during the demos my wife and I (both 5’9”) found that the stock seat position put the top of the windshield right in the middle of our FOV... so it is nice to go up a few inches.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:45 AM, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

Yes gregtay that is the boat. Can't you see the scum on Lake Washington? I don't know if I'd choose the same options myself, but I like the color and didn't want to wait for an order. I sold my 23 in the morning and was having withdrawals by the afternoon.

bbattiste247, do you have gatorstep on yours? Please show me a picture.

I'll get some and post them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dfowkes, I live in your shadow. I put on 500 lbs for slight enhancement but far from dialed in. It's a very clean wave, but it lacks the big push that I seek from way back. It's OK, I have all summer to play. Back to the lead store...

Here's my kids digging on Dad's new boat.

Oh, and I do love that wristband. Control!

IMG_6172 IMG_6150 IMG_6159

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Here’s a fun sequence that ended my last session...

F98AF5BF-4BA1-4E07-9D63-5754C295B940.jpeg

2217316C-A756-49AB-8860-A32E7EA6A7C1.jpeg

29505982-42A7-4555-A985-457D8B97BF95.jpeg

93981D1B-3BA7-45A8-8471-C4309D157C9F.jpeg

A0DEF143-B632-48FE-8534-E4D4297245F6.gif

Surf falls are the best. Its almost always OK to laugh because people rarley get hurt. 

OK, time for re-evaluation. Initially I was not sure if I loved this wave. After several sessions I am thinking it is an awesome wave, I do love it. I see the same form in all your photos, so clean and defined. It was just a matter of me adapting to a new shape.

My setup:

All ballast full, 500 lbs steel, 400 in bow, 100 behind helm. Not sure where you measure wedge clicks from, but I am 1 click left of the middle. No passengers. 11.8 MPH. Not quite in the Dfowkes zone yet, just need some more lead!

IMG_6278

• Like 1

IXFE, you have a tower mount mirror. I didn't think they made those any more. I miss mine. What can you tell me?

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

IXFE, you have a tower mount mirror. I didn't think they made those any more. I miss mine. What can you tell me?

It’s definitely available for the G3.5 tower. I don’t know if it works with the GX tower which I think you have?

14 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s definitely available for the G3.5 tower. I don’t know if it works with the GX tower which I think you have?

Ah yes, I do. Thanks for the clarification.