Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crazy propeller

braindamage

My first thought was the cost to repair if damaged, looks like it could be a bit more involved.  Anything that is more efficient is a step forward though.

I imagine it’s going to be a while until we start seeing these on wakeboats since we are such a small # of the market.  Unless they license the technology out to acme, Malibu, etc. I just don’t see it happening in our boating lifetime. 

Yeah, I'm going to let a bunch of other people try before I'd ever pull the trigger on that.

Remember 5 blade inboard props?  That summer fad sure didn't last...

2 hours ago, SCMike said:

I imagine it’s going to be a while until we start seeing these on wakeboats since we are such a small # of the market.  Unless they license the technology out to acme, Malibu, etc. I just don’t see it happening in our boating lifetime. 

I don't think acme has the market cornered on the concept of a tapered shaft.  If the prop fits the shaft the boat don't know whether it's acme or oj or someone else's design.

• Like 1

Additive manufacturing--3D printing. Some cool things going on with that right now. Atherton bikes partnered with a manufacturer using something similar. Printed titanium lugs and then bonding shaped carbon tubes between them. Completely custom angles and lengths quickly available.

I don't care enough about these props to do it myself but someone could fill out the sales quote form and get a price if they were curious.

3 hours ago, SCMike said:

I imagine it’s going to be a while until we start seeing these on wakeboats since we are such a small # of the market

I agree with @jk13 that additive manufacturing allows for high customization and low production runs, so it may be sooner than we are used to.

ill fill out the sales quote form and let you know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be down to try one. 
Honestly what changes have been made in prop tech in the last 20 years? 
Manufacturing has gotten better but the general shape hasn't. 

• Like 1

Minus a really good shallow water flats boat prop that still has yet to be released to market due to patent process, not much. 

10 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I'd be down to try one. 
Honestly what changes have been made in prop tech in the last 20 years? 
Manufacturing has gotten better but the general shape hasn't. 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, shawndoggy said:

man that looks fragile.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Granted we don’t have a lot of debris in the water around here, but after a good monsoon there’s sticks in the water. The current “style” of props chew through these sticks/debris pretty easily, but not sure one of those new ones would survive. 

10 hours ago, gorilla said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Granted we don’t have a lot of debris in the water around here, but after a good monsoon there’s sticks in the water. The current “style” of props chew through these sticks/debris pretty easily, but not sure one of those new ones would survive. 

Trust me, the modern-day CNC nibral props are fairly fragile also.

I would think about trying one. I wounder if the ski wake could be affected.  :plus1:on Cowwboy's statement just a ding in our props and you know it..

• Like 2

Anybody else notice that the video only has an outboard boat motor?

If they want to send me one to demo and report on it I have the equipment needed to measure the actual fuel usage at the injectors already installed in my boat...
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

Interesting concept, basically a multi blade prop with a connection across half the blades.  It could certainly have an effect on the wake, probably soften the table some, due to aeration, which may be appreciated by the skier segment and not so much for barefoot wake crossings.  Similar to what happens between a 3 and 4 blade prop, as you get to higher RPM the greater number of blades end up limiting top speed.

5 hours ago, mikeo said:

Anybody else notice that the video only has an outboard boat motor?

If they want to send me one to demo and report on it I have the equipment needed to measure the actual fuel usage at the injectors already installed in my boat...
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

This reminds me @mikeo. Thanks for that write up. I just did this myself for my boat. Very insightful. 

I sent a note out to them and received a quick answer that they will get it to a engineer and get back soon.  We will see what they say about wakes.  

5 hours ago, Slurpee said:

This reminds me @mikeo. Thanks for that write up. I just did this myself for my boat. Very insightful. 

I wish there was a way to log the data to an SD card and output it to .csv for analysis. I may start a thread this season to gather data from those of us who have installed the ScanGauge. You've got a 22 VLX, I've got a 23 LSV w/Indamar "350", there is a '19 VTX w/PCM on the way. A comparison database of boat, prop, engine, ballast/load, wedge setting, speed, fuel rate could be very interesting.

Do you have an pictures of the install? If so, maybe post them to wakegarage?

32 minutes ago, mikeo said:

I wish there was a way to log the data to an SD card and output it to .csv for analysis. I may start a thread this season to gather data from those of us who have installed the ScanGauge. You've got a 22 VLX, I've got a 23 LSV w/Indamar "350", there is a '19 VTX w/PCM on the way. A comparison database of boat, prop, engine, ballast/load, wedge setting, speed, fuel rate could be very interesting.

Do you have an pictures of the install? If so, maybe post them to wakegarage?

Good idea.  Yes I do.  Just posted them in WakeGarage.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, formulaben said:

Sharrow-Propeller.jpg

Luv to know how you fix that after a hit!  The prop guys are going to laugh and tell you how much it costs to fix is how much it costs to fix , money up front , no guarantees