Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gap on rear desk - '19 23LSV

gregtay

Wanted to loop back and update this thread.  My dealer (Seattle Boat) worked with Malibu and they were able to adjust and fix the alignment on my rear deck.  Much happier with the way things are now.  The huge gap at the rear is now gone and the cushions are equally aligned from to back.  There is now a small gap at the front and back but that is just the design (there will always be a gap on a 2019/2020 due to the new vinyl. A 2018 will have a much smaller gap (or non at all) as they have more padding.   Anyway.. here is the result.  If you have this problem have your deal work with Malibu and they can advise on how to properly align it.

gap.JPG

gap1.JPG

gap2.JPG

gap3.JPG

53 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Wanted to loop back and update this thread.  My dealer (Seattle Boat) worked with Malibu and they were able to adjust and fix the alignment on my rear deck.  Much happier with the way things are now.  The huge gap at the rear is now gone and the cushions are equally aligned from to back.  There is now a small gap at the front and back but that is just the design (there will always be a gap on a 2019/2020 due to the new vinyl. A 2018 will have a much smaller gap (or non at all) as they have more padding.   Anyway.. here is the result.  If you have this problem have your deal work with Malibu and they can advise on how to properly align it.

Thanks for the update.  My "new cushions" come in around the 1st of the month according to my dealer.  To me, I don't have a preference in if they adjust the hinges or make new cushions.  I just would like it fixed.  It is borderline a safety issue for the little ones.  

21 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Thanks for the update.  My "new cushions" come in around the 1st of the month according to my dealer.  To me, I don't have a preference in if they adjust the hinges or make new cushions.  I just would like it fixed.  It is borderline a safety issue for the little ones.  

Yep... the little ones stepping in the gap was my concern and why I wanted it fixed.  I will be curious to see if your new cushions are any bigger.

glad they made it look a little better, cant blame you for being concerned. i would be as well. yes the craftsmanship has gone way down. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 5:15 PM, gregtay said:

I hate to say it.. 'cause I am trying to be a Malibu fan... but wow.... just not impressed with the basic quality control on my new 2019 23LSV.  My 2008 LSV felt like craftmanship built by someone who really cared about the product.  I have had my 2019 for a week now and it is VERY clear that 1) no one at the factory took even 2 mins to walk around and ensure is was a product that they felt represented their brand well (not to mention quality you expect from something that has an MSRP of $170k) 2) maybe they did look at it, did see all the VERY easy to spot poor craftsmanship and manufacturing errors and just simply didn't care and figured they put the burden on their dealer (who is great BTW.)  I had a deposit on a Supra build but switched back to Malibu at the last minute and ordered up a new boat.  I don't think I made a mistake by switching back... but wow am I saddened by what Malibu has become since my 2008 was built. :-/

Most of the stuff we will eventually get fixed by my dealer and it will all work out but it is a pain to have down time and some of the issues are just not acceptable from a company that demands such a premium for their product. 

Im still a Malibu fan... but things have changed and not for the good :-/

I hate to see this. We bought a 2019 23lsv in August. We are having sooo many issues. Our boat is currently out of commission cause it won't run.... I was looking to see if others were having issues, and stumbled accross this post.  I'm so sad to read this... My husband has been having buyers remorse.  Too many electrical,  quality control issues and now engine.

17 minutes ago, melanie said:

I hate to see this. We bought a 2019 23lsv in August. We are having sooo many issues. Our boat is currently out of commission cause it won't run.... I was looking to see if others were having issues, and stumbled accross this post.  I'm so sad to read this... My husband has been having buyers remorse.  Too many electrical,  quality control issues and now engine.

I know it can be hard to go through the teething issues that we sometimes have to go through.  It seems rather hit or miss... some boats are perfect... others not so much.  Hopefully you have a good dealer to help you get things sorted out.  My boat happens to be on the "not a great example of quality" side of the scale, but thankfully it has all been build quality and not mechanical... meaning we haven't missed out on fun on the water.  Post of your issues in another thread and maybe people can help make suggestions for your dealer (sometimes TMC has quicker answers than dealers.)  I hope you are back on the water soon.

• Like 1

I was at the dealership last week and walked around the boats, I was shocked to see how many rear cushions don't even line up with each other and some have huge gaps and some have small gaps

I mean do they have some drunk guy doing quality control .  

serious issues

11 minutes ago, camcruiser13 said:

I was at the dealership last week and walked around the boats, I was shocked to see how many rear cushions don't even line up with each other and some have huge gaps and some have small gaps

The service tech said about 50% of the boats have the rear cushions that are off (like mine).  He couldn't explain any rhythm or reason why.  

1 hour ago, camcruiser13 said:

I mean do they have some drunk guy doing quality control .  

A drunk guy would do a little better job.  I think the answer is that no one is doing quality control.  For the rear deck I believe the issue is rooted in the change of vinyl in 2019.  Almost all the 2018 boats look great, everything fits really nice. For 2019 the vinyl has less padding and therefore the cushions have less pillowy overhang.  Malibu used all the same parts and this created cushions that are smaller than originally planned.  So you get a gap around the rear deck (even if installed at the center) and you also get a much bigger gap on the sides of a wake view seat on a 2019+. Some of this might be intentional as I heard there was quite a few warranty claims in 2018 for seats/panels where the vinyl tightly rubbed the panels next to it.  They solved it with less padding... meaning a gap.  For the rear deck I think the installers shove it all the way forward or are using some template from 2018 for the holes that doesn't really work for the new "smaller" 2019+ decks.  Issue should be solved in 2021+ since they completely redesigned the rear deck/seats.

This has been an issue with Malibus for a very very long time.  Basically ever since they started with split, two-piece hatches you'll find the occasional boat with odd alignment.  I remember '03 Response LXis, '08 VTXes, '13 TXis and probably a bunch of others I've seen over the years.  The '08 VTX I saw at the Milwaukee Boat show one year was so bad it looked like the hatch halves were each designed and built in different countries with different specs as the starboard hatch was about 2" longer than the port.

Why it still happens, who knows?  I'm sure they see it during inspection.  Probably just figure the dealer will take care of it if the customer complains.

19 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

The service tech said about 50% of the boats have the rear cushions that are off (like mine).  He couldn't explain any rhythm or reason why.  

that's 50% too many

crazy  you don't buy a luxury vehicle and expect to have something wrong

On 6/9/2020 at 11:57 AM, gregtay said:

I know it can be hard to go through the teething issues that we sometimes have to go through.  It seems rather hit or miss... some boats are perfect... others not so much.  Hopefully you have a good dealer to help you get things sorted out.  My boat happens to be on the "not a great example of quality" side of the scale, but thankfully it has all been build quality and not mechanical... meaning we haven't missed out on fun on the water.  Post of your issues in another thread and maybe people can help make suggestions for your dealer (sometimes TMC has quicker answers than dealers.)  I hope you are back on the water soon.

Well We have a list of about 20 things that are wrong. They couldn't even get the engine running at the dealership.  The malibu rep was supposed to have called me Tuesday. I didn't hear from him. So I emailed the director. Never heard back from him.  Our dealership has been great, but there hands are tied on some issues without support of the malibu's rep. I emailed the director again at the end of business day when I didn't hear from him. The local rep came off more like a sleasly salesmen. No empathy. Gave me some crap excuse that he was visiting another dealership and that's why he didn't call till late yesterday afternoon..... The dealership is going to give us a loaner for the weekend if our boat isn't ready. They've had to replace the screen. the diagnostics said all fuel injectors were bad. they replaced the fuel pump 2 times so far. The called PMC about the engine and said it was a bad relay switch in the box. There were 2 bad relay switches.  The list keeps getting longer and longer.  Now I'm so worried about what is going to happen next. It's like the issues keep escalating every time we get on the boat there is something new.   I wish the Malibu reps were as good as the service manager at the dealership....

1 minute ago, melanie said:

Well We have a list of about 20 things that are wrong. They couldn't even get the engine running at the dealership.  The malibu rep was supposed to have called me Tuesday. I didn't hear from him. So I emailed the director. Never heard back from him.  Our dealership has been great, but there hands are tied on some issues without support of the malibu's rep. I emailed the director again at the end of business day when I didn't hear from him. The local rep came off more like a sleasly salesmen. No empathy. Gave me some crap excuse that he was visiting another dealership and that's why he didn't call till late yesterday afternoon..... The dealership is going to give us a loaner for the weekend if our boat isn't ready. They've had to replace the screen. the diagnostics said all fuel injectors were bad. they replaced the fuel pump 2 times so far. The called PMC about the engine and said it was a bad relay switch in the box. There were 2 bad relay switches.  The list keeps getting longer and longer.  Now I'm so worried about what is going to happen next. It's like the issues keep escalating every time we get on the boat there is something new.   I wish the Malibu reps were as good as the service manager at the dealership....

Bummer to have issues but my guess is the motor issues are all related to one problem and when they solve it you will be good.  Or.. everything (including the screen) is related to one single bigger problem (electrical issue, etc.)  I know it is hard to have to have downtime (I am truly understand.. my boat is in the shop this week for some warranty work but the high temps in Seattle are in the upper 50's lower 60's with rain this week, so we are not missing much)  Hopefully your dealer will have it all solved soon and you will be back on the water having fun.  Yes.. the local rep you talked to is likely the regional sales manager.. so you aren't far off.  Sounds like you are in good hands with you dealer so hopefully that yields some good news quickly.

5 minutes ago, JBell said:

Have the same gap on a 2020 23 lsv.

Crazy.  Really is amazing to me that they can't address the issue at the factory.... they would save themselves a lot of warranty costs.

This post made me check my 2020 23 LSV.   The front of the engine  panel is snug and takes effort to open. I looked at the back and It looks like mine also has about 1.5” gap.  What’s the fix?   Re position and drill new holes in the glass?      My punch list is lengthy already.  Happy my dealer is close to me.    I am surprised with the lack of some of QC at the factory. I‘m not looking to pile right now.   I just want the M6di to continue to hum and throw walls of water... 

439CA371-3B2E-4977-8074-A85B46BEEC8A.jpeg

On 6/13/2020 at 1:07 AM, Superdice7 said:

This post made me check my 2020 23 LSV.   The front of the engine  panel is snug and takes effort to open. I looked at the back and It looks like mine also has about 1.5” gap.  What’s the fix?   Re position and drill new holes in the glass?      My punch list is lengthy already.  Happy my dealer is close to me.    I am surprised with the lack of some of QC at the factory. I‘m not looking to pile right now.   I just want the M6di to continue to hum and throw walls of water... 

439CA371-3B2E-4977-8074-A85B46BEEC8A.jpeg

My dealer order my second set of cushions to try and reduce the gap.  They have been great in trying to address things.  I don't have a tape measure on mine but you more than likely have seen the photos earlier in the thread.  I believe some mine might have been a bit more than ~1.5".  

She sure throw walls of water to! :rockon:

this is just crazy to me,  they are allowing other boat makers to catch up to them and even surpass them in the quality department  

dont get me wrong i am a malibu guy but,   i have been on some very nice boats and notice that its the little things that could be avoided at the factory would up the quality ten fold.  even my daughters cheapo mazda ive never taken in to get the seats re aligned etc. 

mind blowing really

17 hours ago, camcruiser13 said:

this is just crazy to me,  they are allowing other boat makers to catch up to them and even surpass them in the quality department  

dont get me wrong i am a malibu guy but,   i have been on some very nice boats and notice that its the little things that could be avoided at the factory would up the quality ten fold.  even my daughters cheapo mazda ive never taken in to get the seats re aligned etc. 

mind blowing really

My gut tells me it isn't a QC thing but more a design thing.  They seem to have a design that is hard to reproduce boat over boat and some come out perfect while others don't.  You can see it is corrected by going to the deck design of the 23 MXZ (and now 23 LSV).