Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gap on rear desk - '19 23LSV

gregtay

Here is how mine measures out so you can see the scale. Most of the gap is probably 1.5” and gets worse at the junction. I do think I can get back 1/2 or so if the cushions were centered (pulled back) a bit. The front is snug enough that I think I could get away with a little adjustment.

2C9CE0CF-3816-4C97-9CA3-BBD0A350DE1F.thumb.jpeg.df31a8c76a216f076de2cdbfab894376.jpeg

1 hour ago, wedge88 said:

Maybe the new Malibu motors need additional ventilation.  Are the boats with gap all M6 motors?

The 25 LSVs we have are M6 motors, no gap at all.

12 minutes ago, COOP said:

The 25 LSVs we have are M6 motors, no gap at all.

Not to mention in 2018 there were bigger motors than the M6 available. The engine compartment is well ventilated.

I am going to put the registration numbers on mine today. I'll check. I'll be honest...I am pretty OCD about things and I didn't notice so it will be interesting to see if mine is the same way.

I had to stop by my dealer today and I checked the deck on the 2019 23LSV on the showroom floor. It did have a small gap but it was minimal and not something I would have questioned if mine was that way. So it does seem like mine is out of adjustment beyond what is normal or “by design.” Still waiting to get it back into the dealer to figure out what the solution is.

AF5ED6F4-5CAD-4689-9339-8EDC13D49CB4.thumb.jpeg.c78b17bd7e6fbc9538fa492ae31e02b7.jpeg 

EAB0F87F-AC63-41E8-9B0B-E4FB51773894.thumb.jpeg.8c6a5200d2ec556d03ce3232e7f9baaf.jpeg

Well let me know what they say.  I'm taking mine to get it's break in service tomorrow and I'm going to inquire also.  The image is yours and mine.  Basically the same gap.  

Gap 23LSV swim .jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 4:39 PM, gregtay said:

I had to stop by my dealer today and I checked the deck on the 2019 23LSV on the showroom floor. It did have a small gap but it was minimal and not something I would have questioned if mine was that way. So it does seem like mine is out of adjustment beyond what is normal or “by design.” Still waiting to get it back into the dealer to figure out what the solution is.

AF5ED6F4-5CAD-4689-9339-8EDC13D49CB4.thumb.jpeg.c78b17bd7e6fbc9538fa492ae31e02b7.jpeg 

EAB0F87F-AC63-41E8-9B0B-E4FB51773894.thumb.jpeg.8c6a5200d2ec556d03ce3232e7f9baaf.jpeg

While the gap might be a bit ungainly and dangerous, I'd rather have a consistent gap on both pads than a gap only on the starboard side like this one.  Yeesh

• 5 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

My dealer just submitted mine to Malibu.  They are awaiting to hear back in what the fix could be.

file1.jpeg

file2.jpeg

I submitted mine months ago but still haven't heard of a viable solution. Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy fix. Basically the hinges need to be moved back a bit but the way they designed it you can't move the deck/pad side (because the hinge sits in a slot, so no adjustment)... so you have to move the hull side but that means new holes really close to the ones they already drilled and I am not sure the end result would be stable and robust (meaning over time the screws might just break the fibreglass since there will be holes adjacent that weakened the mounting structure. 

Are you sure they just didn't make a new one and used the same from previous years or another model since it was close enough? 

That would drive me nuts, too much loss square footage on the sun pad! 😂 

And if u think that's annoying look at a lot of boats the back bar tow bar and LEDs on a lot of boas are off center , I've noticed that where the rub rail meets in the rear is not always on center but whomever is installing the back tow bar is drilling and mounting them as if where rub rail meets is on center, when it's not in many cases. Granted the new pointed rear ends of the boat fixes this mostly, check previous year models and you will notice numerous boats off center mounting.. 

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Are you sure they just didn't make a new one and used the same from previous years or another model since it was close enough? 

That would drive me nuts, too much loss square footage on the sun pad! 😂 

And if u think that's annoying look at a lot of boats the back bar tow bar and LEDs on a lot of boas are off center , I've noticed that where the rub rail meets in the rear is not always on center but whomever is installing the back tow bar is drilling and mounting them as if where rub rail meets is on center, when it's not in many cases. Granted the new pointed rear ends of the boat fixes this mostly, check previous year models and you will notice numerous boats off center mounting.. 

I am not sure what the solution is.  But, it's not only an eye sore - it is a safety issue.  Little kids feet can slip in there very easily.  

My dealer was pretty understanding.  They looked through their showroom and said they had some that had my same issue and some that looked as designed.  We'll see where it goes.  I would really like to see it fixed.

Edited by Five Cent Worth

it looks undersized? not sure how you fix it without a new one or unless they add foam/padding to extend it wider? or unless they were cut too small or are another boats models 

maybe the 22/23s are very similar sized and someone grabbed from wrong pile? just a thought

• Like 2
On 11/18/2019 at 8:15 AM, The Hulk said:

it looks undersized? not sure how you fix it without a new one or unless they add foam/padding to extend it wider? or unless they were cut too small or are another boats models 

maybe the 22/23s are very similar sized and someone grabbed from wrong pile? just a thought

No, not undersized.. it is just shifted forward too much (tight fit against the back of the seats)

21 minutes ago, gregtay said:

No, not undersized.. it is just shifted forward too much (tight fit against the back of the seats)

So you’re ok with a gap by the seats? Shouldn’t it be a tight fit on both sides? I agree with hulk, they look undersized. 

Mine was the same, and the other 2019 23 LSVs I saw also had the same gap.

They could move the cover back a bit to split the difference, since the fit again the rear seats was too snug, but even then they still need to make the template bigger to close the gaps.

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

Mine was the same, and the other 2019 23 LSVs I saw also had the same gap.

They could move the cover back a bit to split the difference, since the fit again the rear seats was too snug, but even then they still need to make the template bigger to close the gaps.

The thing I don't understand is that I have seen boats produced before mine and after mine that don't have the issue (or at least the gap is so small you wouldn't think anything of it, see the photo of the boat on my dealer showroom that I posted earlier in this thread.)  We measured and the pads are the same size so it really does seem to come down to fit and where they put the hinges.  The pads always have a little extra padding to fill a small gap.  Yes.. I do agree that if the template was 1" bigger then this problem would go away entirely but of course their manufacturing tolerance would exceed what I think their line guys are capable of (based on how they are putting these things together.)  

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

So you’re ok with a gap by the seats? Shouldn’t it be a tight fit on both sides? I agree with hulk, they look undersized. 

I am totally not okay with it!!.. and I will keep fighting to get it fixed. It looks terrible.  But my pads are VERY snug against the front so if you move them back a little they will still touch in the front (since there is some padding, etc.)  

• Like 1

I am hoping this same gap issue is fixed for 2020. @gregtay your boat also has power tower. You spent a small fortune on your boat, no acceptable to have that gap. Malibu makes enough money to find a fix. There stock price just popped almost 10% this month!

It looks like the problem isn't the cover, it's the position of the rear seat.  Push the center of the seat aft and the gap will close, plus the angles will match.  Maybe they have two people building seat frames and only one of them gets it right.

11 hours ago, gregtay said:

The thing I don't understand is that I have seen boats produced before mine and after mine that don't have the issue

This!  Many boats sitting in the showroom have this issue at my dealer while others don't.  If it was consistent one way or another - then it would elude to it being designed as such.  That isn't the case though.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:07 AM, justgary said:

It looks like the problem isn't the cover, it's the position of the rear seat.  Push the center of the seat aft and the gap will close, plus the angles will match.  Maybe they have two people building seat frames and only one of them gets it right.

I don't think that's the case, I think when I looked at it there is fiberglass that is part of the top deck that determines where the rear seat is mounted, I don't think it can just be moved back. (I will have to look again.)