Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gap on rear desk - '19 23LSV

gregtay

Hi all... question.. something that has bugging me on my new 2019 23LSV is the huge gap between the rear sunpads and the transom seats. It seriously looks like someone designed the pads too small.  I accepted this as "normal" at first but I have noticed other 23LSV's (on dealer sites) dont seem to have this huge gap (or a gap at all in the area) base don photos (but photos make it hard to really see what is going on.)   

Curious how other 2019's look.. is this normal?

gap.thumb.JPG.805fcbcfbf65992ea19137d600416367.JPG

Help me out.  How big a gap is that?  Looks like 1.5" or so where you have the dimension drawn.  That would really bother me.  Mostly from a small toes safety perspective.  What's your dealer say about it?  I had some seats that weren't right when I took delivery a few years ago.  They put in all new skins during the off season after a discussion with Malibu.

Even if that is the way every other 2019 is, that isn't right from a safety standpoint.  Hopefully you have been in contact with your dealer and if not, you need to.  Malibu should be able to make new rear panels and send to your dealer for installation as I wouldn't wait until the off season.   

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Hi all... question.. something that has bugging me on my new 2019 23LSV is the huge gap between the rear sunpads and the transom seats. It seriously looks like someone designed the pads too small.  I accepted this as "normal" at first but I have noticed other 23LSV's (on dealer sites) dont seem to have this huge gap (or a gap at all in the area) base don photos (but photos make it hard to really see what is going on.)   

Curious how other 2019's look.. is this normal?

gap.thumb.JPG.805fcbcfbf65992ea19137d600416367.JPG

Mine looks like this also. Plus mine came with a lot of scuffs and strap marks from the shipping cover.

Does it need the clearance to open or is there any other functional necessity for the gap?  Sure doesn't look right to me but I'm in a 2001 Response.

Odd another weighed in that they have the same issue.  I also vote that doesn’t seem right.  Just looked at photos of my 25, and I know it is a different model, but there is no gap at all.  It is all pretty tight.  

Another photo. Yes, it is a good 1.5+” gap. No, the front isn't binding (it’s flush, fits tight, but it is what I’d consider normal (the port side could use an adjustment to be back just a bit more. Starboard side fits "perfect".) The back edge looks like it is the wrong size pads... he gap has zero function except looking ugly and catching toes.

0AF406AB-2BD9-44BB-93E8-6C8402B32F28.thumb.jpeg.a55d02227b9ae72345a6e307b18a6a04.jpeg

Edited by gregtay

Another issue of poor quality control. How did that get past the factory and even your dealer without anyone noticing. Insist that it is fixed!

40 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Another photo. Yes, it is a good 1.5+” gap. No, the front isn't binding (it’s flush, fits tight, but it is what I’d consider normal (the port side could use an adjustment to be back just a bit more. Starboard side fits "perfect".) The back edge looks like it is the wrong size pads... he gap has zero function except looking ugly and catching toes.

0AF406AB-2BD9-44BB-93E8-6C8402B32F28.thumb.jpeg.a55d02227b9ae72345a6e307b18a6a04.jpeg

My 18 LSV 23 is a lot tighter.image.thumb.png.55fa8e341ebc3d4594eca8ffaccec1bf.png

Just Malibu cutting back on material to save money. Looks like they shortened both pads by about 3/4" all the way across the back edge. Mine is tight along the back edges all the way to the gunnels.

Edited by dalt1
38 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

Another issue of poor quality control. How did that get past the factory and even your dealer without anyone noticing. Insist that it is fixed!

I hate to say it.. 'cause I am trying to be a Malibu fan... but wow.... just not impressed with the basic quality control on my new 2019 23LSV.  My 2008 LSV felt like craftmanship built by someone who really cared about the product.  I have had my 2019 for a week now and it is VERY clear that 1) no one at the factory took even 2 mins to walk around and ensure is was a product that they felt represented their brand well (not to mention quality you expect from something that has an MSRP of $170k) 2) maybe they did look at it, did see all the VERY easy to spot poor craftsmanship and manufacturing errors and just simply didn't care and figured they put the burden on their dealer (who is great BTW.)  I had a deposit on a Supra build but switched back to Malibu at the last minute and ordered up a new boat.  I don't think I made a mistake by switching back... but wow am I saddened by what Malibu has become since my 2008 was built. :-/

Most of the stuff we will eventually get fixed by my dealer and it will all work out but it is a pain to have down time and some of the issues are just not acceptable from a company that demands such a premium for their product. 

Im still a Malibu fan... but things have changed and not for the good :-/

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My 18 LSV 23 is a lot tighter.image.thumb.png.55fa8e341ebc3d4594eca8ffaccec1bf.png

I;d say that is how it is supposed to be!  And if you are wondering if I can just go out there and loosen some screws and slide it over a bit... "no"... doesn't really work that way. The easiest thing would be to put new holes in the bottom of the pads but you can't move the hinge as there is an indent that it fits into.  So the next option would be to move the hinges where they mount to the hull (which doesn't solve the issue but I could at least divide the gap between the front and rear).. but the way the 4 screws for each hinge are set you pretty much have to drill new holes to make any adjustment. 

9 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

IF you get a chance measure the distance across the edge of the pad (where they come together) from the bottom side(easier to measure.)  Maybe get the measurement for the edge the runs along the side of the hull as well (where the hinges are.)  I am just curious if my pads (and I mean the composite/plastic board they wrap the leather around) is smaller.

Seems like something id take up with the dealer, 

kind of a stretch IMHO That this is a way for Malibu to save $ on materials. im curious to know if its the hatch template from a 22LSV on the 23??  

4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Seems like something id take up with the dealer, 

kind of a stretch IMHO That this is a way for Malibu to save $ on materials. im curious to know if its the hatch template from a 22LSV on the 23??  

CErtainly will have my dealer deal with it (happen to be meeting with them in about 3 hours.)  

I highly doubt it is "cost savings" unless they only wanted one size for the 22 and 23 and figured it would "work"... I think it is likely their either cut the pad base the wrong size or like you said they used one from a different model and figure "oh well, no one will notice".. good enough.

I don't believe that this is Malibu trying to save on materials, it looks like the rear seat back brace (it's 2" powder coated square tube) was installed too far forward. Installing the seat brace too far forward will change the angle of seat back slightly too. My guess without looking at the boat in person is that the seat back brace needs to be reinstalled. It's not simple, but it's not crazy difficult; it will require removing the rear seat and drilling the fiberglass. I'll bet if you measure the distance from the seat back brace to a known point on the back of the boat you'll get a number that is larger than what Malibu says it should be. You could have your dealer or another friendly owner here on TMC give you a measurement to compare to.

43 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I;d say that is how it is supposed to be!  And if you are wondering if I can just go out there and loosen some screws and slide it over a bit... "no"... doesn't really work that way. The easiest thing would be to put new holes in the bottom of the pads but you can't move the hinge as there is an indent that it fits into.  So the next option would be to move the hinges where they mount to the hull (which doesn't solve the issue but I could at least divide the gap between the front and rear).. but the way the 4 screws for each hinge are set you pretty much have to drill new holes to make any adjustment. 

What about replacement deck pads, he shouldn’t have to live with incorrect fitment by repositioning it!

50 minutes ago, gregtay said:

IF you get a chance measure the distance across the edge of the pad (where they come together) from the bottom side(easier to measure.)  Maybe get the measurement for the edge the runs along the side of the hull as well (where the hinges are.)  I am just curious if my pads (and I mean the composite/plastic board they wrap the leather around) is smaller.

299C2972-4638-485C-91EA-911BCC56DFDB.jpegMine is tight along back. 

Edited by dalt1