Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker upgrade advice

cbftbl87

The six original 6.5 inch Kenwood speakers in my boat sound terrible (a couple are actually blown I think), so I'm looking to upgrade them.  There's no amp, they are just powered by the Jensen head unit (not original, maybe 4 years old).  

The problem I'm having is depth clearance.  I tried a new set of Kenwood KFC-1653 MRW, but they wouldn't seat all the way before hitting the outside of the hull.  

Here is what I have now:  https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_13082_Kenwood_KFC-1679ie.aspx  (They are depth 1 7/8", hole size 5")

Does anybody have any recommendations for a direct replacement?  Everything I'm finding has a depth of 2.5" or more.  

I absolutely love Polk Marine speakers. I had some dxi650s in my Surpa powered by a Polk 660 for just shy of 10 years. I pulled them last weekend and aside from being dirty, they look like the day I installed them. Not one issue with deterioration. And they sound awesome. 

The DB652 slim mount, if you top mount them has a depth of 1.77"

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/db652

Should be able to do what you need them to. Granted I think those grills are ugly. You can go with the older version db651 if you can find them. (ebay) But they run a touch taller at 2". 

The freq response is fantastic at 40hz-22khz. Sensitivity is 92dB. Which is great, especially considering you're not running an amp. Plus. They're cheap. 60$ a pair on Prime. 

Edited by Ryan1776

I wish I had know about those slim mounts for the dash speakers.  I have the MM651s and had to use spacers, which were a b**** to put in without taking the windshields off.  Sound great though.

4 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I have the MM651s

I wanted to get those, but couldn't come to drop twice the cash on them. I bet they do sound amazing. 

Thanks everyone.  I ended up buying a pair of the Polk DB652's from Amazon and they fit, so I have 4 more on the way now!  Appreciate the good suggestions.