Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone wakeboard anymore

Ifinallygota21v

Stopped wakeboarding after second concussion and I don’t want a 15 yr. mortgage on a surf setup boat.  I now slalom and ski to get the blood pumping, don’t drink giant cans of energy drinks either. I do enjoy wake skating because you don’t get slammed if you catch an edge but cant get anyone else excited about it.  Surfs will be like wake boats, this too shall pass.

heck yah, my crew 99% of the time still boards.  We rarely surf, just seems super boring to me.  I'll be 45 this year and still ride hard.  Working on the Whirlybird and IndyGlide this year.:thumbup:

• Like 3
1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

heck yah, my crew 99% of the time still boards.  We rarely surf, just seems super boring to me.  I'll be 45 this year and still ride hard.  Working on the Whirlybird and IndyGlide this year.:thumbup:

My crew left me... I'm the only one left.  How did you keep them together.

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

My crew left me... I'm the only one left.  How did you keep them together.

where you riding, over by where Wensink rides (west muddy Maumee)?  Maybe I need to come hop on that MXZ :)

It is hard to keep a good crew together.  My crews in Hawaii were all outlaw riders so I was able to really advance my riding being around that pre-pro level.  Learned a ton from them and they pushed me hard.  My Arizona crew was awesome as well when I moved there.  My crew here is hit/miss and I really need to teach the wife to drive me so I don't have to rely on finding a driver.

1 hour ago, dlb said:

Pushing 65, wakeboard all I can get!

Surfing is for old folks.....

Post some video of you going wake to wake at 70 feet.

To be honest I personally haven’t ridden a wakeboard in ..... 5 years?? I pull a couple a year but my usual crew gave it up years ago. I want to turn my old boards into bench on day

On 5/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, John I. said:

Small world. Nice boat! 

You too! Where do you usually take your boat? We've been Needles locals for years...

We wakeboard all the time with occasional slalom thrown in.  My cousin started bringing his kids out with us last couple years...college aged...they are young and crazy so we get a lot of laughs.  Last year one of them brought a big friend who wanted to try getting up on a board with someone on his shoulders.  I didn't think it would happen but they finally did it lol.  People ride by looking at us like we were crazy.  We were pulling 4 boarders at a time at one point as well.  Logistical nightmare haha.   I haven't had my surfboard in the water in a couple years....just boring to me after a while.  I suck at wakeboarding but I love the speed and carving.  They have opened up a couple wake parks in Myrtle Beach and one in SC below Rock Hill that we have also gotten into.  I wish those had been around when I was younger.  

We wakeboard still, but surf more. Usually the first set is wakeboard while its calm, then switch over to surfing for a couple sets. The last few years we were contending with a lot of wind so it was better to surf than to deal with the choppy water on a wakeboard. Both are very fun to me still and I am just as happy with either activity.

I think surfing gets talked about so much more is because having a good wave is more important to most than a good wake. Most inboard boats put out a decent enough wakeboard wake for us hacks, but some have less than desirable waves which makes it very difficult to progress in surfing. I pulled some friends that were pretty decent wakeboarders behind my 98 sportster with only a wedge and some human ballast. They had no trouble hitting their inverts and spins behind that setup. Sure it's better behind a slammed v-drive, but if the proper technique is there, you can still make due with a lesser wake.... maybe just not get the height or launching out to the flats type air. Having a small or washed out surf wave can make it nearly impossible to ride, especially for larger riders.

• Like 4
On 5/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

where you riding, over by where Wensink rides (west muddy Maumee)?  Maybe I need to come hop on that MXZ :)

It is hard to keep a good crew together.  My crews in Hawaii were all outlaw riders so I was able to really advance my riding being around that pre-pro level.  Learned a ton from them and they pushed me hard.  My Arizona crew was awesome as well when I moved there.  My crew here is hit/miss and I really need to teach the wife to drive me so I don't have to rely on finding a driver.

What took you so long to teach the wife , in the real world they are they only crew you can count on

if she rides, it’s more organic and not a chore fir them , the problem is when your that good it’s intimidating for someone learning 

exposure to someone at their level really helps build confidence to ride

my wife concentrates in one wake hops at her level , my hero! 

• Like 1

Add another to the list of wakeboarders. Turn 40 this August. Have a torn ACL. Hope to take some (more) lessons this summer. 
Slow learner to do inconsistency with life and lack of crew.  

3 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Add another to the list of wakeboarders. Turn 40 this August. Have a torn ACL. Hope to take some (more) lessons this summer. 
Slow learner to do inconsistency with life and lack of crew.  

lookup my buddy Brian Snabes to get some lessons and tell him I sent you.  He has his own Wake Camp at Pine Lake Marina near you

8 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

What took you so long to teach the wife , in the real world they are they only crew you can count on

if she rides, it’s more organic and not a chore fir them , the problem is when your that good it’s intimidating for someone learning 

exposure to someone at their level really helps build confidence to ride

my wife concentrates in one wake hops at her level , my hero! 

it's really not me, it's her.  She is super timid and uncomfortable.  I'm slowly getting there with her tho

• Like 1

Injured my ankle last year on my last set of the year. Was in a boot for a couple months. Took a couple more months to be able to walk comfortably. Here I am 8 months later and still not 100%. Taking delivery of my new boat tomorrow afternoon. You know what I’ll be doing on Saturday?? Strapping on a wakeboard!  I enjoy surfing too, but just don’t get the same thrill from it as wakeboarding. It’s not like I’m very good at it either. I just can’t imagine giving it up. 

• Like 2

I still ride.  First run of the day is always on the wakeboard.  I’ve had a few bad injuries over the years wakeboarding, so my wife is super nervous pulling me.  She tells me no inverts if it’s just her in the boat with the kids.  she wants another adult in the boat to help if something happens.  Sometimes I don’t listen 😉

• Like 3
21 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

lookup my buddy Brian Snabes to get some lessons and tell him I sent you.  He has his own Wake Camp at Pine Lake Marina near you

Oh awesome man! Thank you! I've actually taken lessons from Laske. But when I contacted him earlier this year he said he wasn't sure if he was going to be in Michigan this summer or Colorado, but he'd have some guys he could recommend me if he wasn't going to be out here. I jokingly asked if Dowdy was one of them! :lol:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Oh awesome man! Thank you! I've actually taken lessons from Laske. But when I contacted him earlier this year he said he wasn't sure if he was going to be in Michigan this summer or Colorado, but he'd have some guys he could recommend me if he wasn't going to be out here. I jokingly asked if Dowdy was one of them! :lol:

what are you trying to work on, I may be able to help for free.  Just go ride together for the day...

On 5/16/2019 at 3:54 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

it's really not me, it's her.  She is super timid and uncomfortable.  I'm slowly getting there with her tho

The skate helped my wife’s confidence a bunch, 1st month on wakeboard she blew retina , skated for 6 years after snd finally started riding again  

• Like 1
On 5/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

what are you trying to work on, I may be able to help for free.  Just go ride together for the day...

Oh I suck. You'd think after riding for.....damn, 25 years on and off I'd be better. :lame: 

My only excuse is I only had one year of truly consistent riding, , my buddy and I put 129 hours on my Supra Comp that year and he was a footer. 
I started when I was 14 I think with a Hyperlite HotRod and sandal bindings. Don't be jealous!
So between college, marriage, divorce, then my dads house, then my grandparents, then my best friends house all being sold within 3 years of each other (all lake front next door to each other) Lots of non lake time for a while. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There are more folks wakeboarding behind a pontoon than wakeboat these days! That's because when kids go to grandma and Grandpa's house they still have one of those old wakeboards in the shed. And grandma's awesome pontoon can't surf...yet......

• Like 1

Wakeboard 1st. I got my 3 year old son hooked. Turns 4 this summer and all he talks about is wakeboarding. We tied a old rope to the coffee table and just about every day this off-season he will do a few sets acting like he is wakeboarding 

Wish I could get out more..

On 5/10/2019 at 2:06 AM, braindamage said:

4 types of wakeboarders:

1) those that haven’t yet been seriously injured 

2) those that have been seriously injured but are slow learners and therefore are still wakeboarders

3) those that have been seriously injured and are now surfers/slalom skiers

4) those who have been seriously injured and now drink beer at the sandbar

i slalom ski...and unfortunately we are few and far between.

5) those who have been seriously injured and still keep pushing themselves to new tricks and heights. 

We have not surfed the 23LSV. Wakeboarding full stock ballast and wedge 75 % at 22mph. Nothing beats the feeling (to me at least) of cutting in and releasing off the wake doing whatever comes to mind.

F8D15F29-FC6D-4B02-A4B3-E9EA95F20847.jpeg

Edited by wakefrankNL
  • Like 2