Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone wakeboard anymore

Ifinallygota21v

All i see anymore are questions about surfing and maybe a mention of wake boarding.  I understand surfing is waaay easier on the body but the rush i get from wake boarding can only be compared to ripping through bouys at 35mph.  So my question is: is anyone out there still primarily wakeboarding and surfing when the lake is blown out?

Hell ya! Shame on those surfing when it’s glass! 😜 we primarily wakeboard. When we are too bagged to wakeboard we’ll switch to surfing. Don’t get me wrong, love surfing but your right, the rush of wakebording is unsurpassed. Surfing is more of a pass time like golf imo. 

I wakeboarded three years ago, had to go to the Chiro for a few weeks to get my hip back in place........LOL. Use to wakeboard all the time, then fell back in love with Slalom.

• Like 2

I would not mind spending more time on a wakeboard.  I spent atleast 4 days a week on a snowboard before we had kids during the winter months and getting big air on the water sound like a good time. The problem is that when basically every Pro wakeboarder I see has a giant knee brace on it makes me nervous to even try it.  I cant afford to blow up a knee and with my background and comfort in the air I find it difficult to "take it easy" the rare times I end up on a wakeboard....... it usually ends badly for me.  My last time on a wakeboard i hit the water so fast I did not have time to close my eyes and thought I broke my eyeballs.  

We wakeboard 99% of the time.  Actually, last year surf boards got used more for long line barefooting take offs than actual surfing.   

YES!  Wake board 1st then when everyone has a multiple turns and need a "rest" we surf.   Another set of wake boarding if the water allows in afternoon.   Thankfully my kids are grown up so tubing is pretty much a thing of the past.  Now Wake board and Surf most of the time.  :)

• Like 2

We still wakeboard and plan on it for sure now that we have a new boat.  I do have to admit that I do not do it as much as my wife and kids.  I prefer to wakeskate and wakesurf, less chance of injury.

We used to wakeboard nearly all the time, but now we mainly surf. I was pulling a wakeboarder last week, and it came up that we rarely see anyone wakeboarding on our lake anymore. It seems like the majority of the tow boats are set up to surf.  Our one wakeboarder usually wants to leave our regular spot since the water has a lot of rollers from the surf boats.  

Barefoot to slalom, then wakeboard, have some sets in surf.. still day light wakeskate back... If to choppy then just surf.

Well since I've pretty much been off the water for the past 6 years or so, surfing was just getting going. We messed around a bit back then but now that I'm back, I bought all new wake setups but also a wakesurfer. I know it will be better on my 46 year old body!!

We'll see how the summer goes once I get a good surf setup figured out!

Our crew wakeboards 99% of the time.  I think it comes down to us having a pretty open pass the handle policy.  It's created a group of around 15 guys/girls (late 20s to mid 40s) that all board most of the time.

Still love to wakeboard, I love the feel of a good slash on the wake and catching air. 

For me it goes like this: Slalom in the morning until I'm exhausted, Break out the wakeboard for a few pulls and surf in the afternoon once it gets choppy.

• Like 2

Skate, then ride then surf , eat your meat and veggies before dessert 

bought wife snd I New Board’s snd bindings this year, big upgrade from our older rigs 

Edited by granddaddy55

Surfing and slalom ( a resurgence on the latter) seems to be what is happening up here.  But with gas pushing $2 CAD/liter it will be an interesting summer on the water!

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Surfing and slalom ( a resurgence on the latter) seems to be what is happening up here.  But with gas pushing $2 CAD/liter it will be an interesting summer on the water!

No doubt! 

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

4 types of wakeboarders:

1) those that haven’t yet been seriously injured 

2) those that have been seriously injured but are slow learners and therefore are still wakeboarders

3) those that have been seriously injured and are now surfers/slalom skiers

4) those who have been seriously injured and now drink beer at the sandbar

i slalom ski...and unfortunately we are few and far between.

I believe wakeboarding has run it's course just like slalom skiing did a couple decades ago, a few diehards left.  I'm a "#2", been injured, still wakeboarding, just not as aggressive (slow learner).

• Like 1
17 hours ago, John I. said:

1. ski

2. wakeboard

3. wakeskate

4. wakesurf on very rare occasion

BTW, I am 61 y.o. 

John,

Looks like we have similar looking boats and I live in HB too!! 

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

But with gas pushing $2 CAD/liter it will be an interesting summer on the water!

This will suck........may have to drop down to skiing at 30mph..........lower RPM's.......cheaper on gas......LOL