Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering two Malibu boats. Know virtually nothing. Please advise!

kerunt

First time (potential) boat owner.

On the hunt for a boat that will be primarily used for day outings on the lake. Swimming (people, dog), relaxing, some cruising and exploring, some light (occasional) fishing. Possibly some tubing. Most of the time it'll be two adults and a large dog, but occasionally four - maybe even six - adults and the dog.

Interested in keeping the price low, being somewhat economical on gas, and having a reliable boat that will serve me well. 

I've found two boats which I think I'm interested in. (Prices are in CAD.)

Option 1:

- described as "2002 Malibu 18.5 feet.

- "This Malibu boat is in excellent condition has been kept inside my garage. It has a V6 4.3L. You are getting lifejackets, paddles, airhead tube, ski ropes, asking $15,500 obo. If you need any more info on the boat send me a message."

Photos from the ad:

bFeQ2wZ.jpg

eNzBQCe.jpg

5Il8fyX.jpg

D69aKzT.jpg

97iIh5P.jpg

kdjFMPA.jpg

vuYDHkU.jpg

Option 2:

- Described as "2005 Malibu 1700 prestige sport ski boat"

- "17 Ft. luxury Malibu Bowrider Ski Boat for sale. Lots of power when needed with this speed boat however it is very economical to operate. Over last summer we used 30 lt. of fuel during approximately 10hrs of operational time between tubbing, cruising and water skiing. The 4.3 MerCruiser has 190 hp that produces a very quiet and smooth ride. This top of the line safe boat is in like new condition with only 33 hrs on the boat and engine. I`m the second owner of this rare find, this boat has always been stored indoors as it fits into most garages for easy storage. The fact that this boat has had limited use, has been properly maintained and has had very little exposure to the outside environment explains why this boat is in a class of it's own at a fraction of the cost of a new boat. All documentation paper work is in order from original owner. I am open to offers. Comes with the following: 
-Dual batteries and switch
-EZLoad trailer
-Bimini Top with connecting side, back and front snap on button covers for full coverage when storing and towing 
-Swim Ladder
-Ski Locker 
-Good Stereo
-Depth Sounder

$21000"

Photos from the ad:

hYwnpI5.jpg

2KTdNzv.jpg

vIM2f2U.jpg

Yg6xumV.jpg

bMzurD8.jpg

Option 1 is right in my budget. Engine bay seems dirty. Not sure how normal that is; a bit worried there may be leaks. Seller says it has been well maintained, local shop can provide service history, and was tuned up a month ago.

Option 2 is at the extreme high end of my budget. Seller would need to come down a couple grand for me to be seriously interested. I like that it's newer and has way less hours of use.

I don't know the specific models of either boat - can't find a model which would match the sellers' descriptions. Can anyone advise here?

How about general feedback about the boats, motors, reliability? Which is the better buy?

Thanks!

Edited by kerunt

They are both 'Malibus' but not the same brand/manufacturer that this site is dedicated to.

The 'Malibu' that made both boats you are comparing I believe were made in Canada. The 237 hours is still very low. To be honest it would concern me more that the 2nd boat only has 33 hours on it. Why was it used so little? How long did it sit for without getting wet? 14 years old / 33 hours is only .42 hours per year. How many years did it sit for? Are all the hoses dried up and cracked? etc

I would look at both in person and test drive both if possible. Then have the one you are leaning towards inspected prior to pulling the trigger

Edited by asp13
1 minute ago, asp13 said:

They are both 'Malibus' but not the same brand/manufacturer that this site is dedicated to.

The 'Malibu' that made both boats you are comparing I believe were made in Canada. The 237 hours is still very low. 

I would look at both in person and test drive both if possible. Then have the one you are leaning towards inspected prior to pulling the trigger

Oh. I had no idea there were different "Malibus." Dang. And I am in Canada, yes, so Canadian-made is quite likely.

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of these boats? Would love to look up more info about them.

First off, I think you are on the right track!  For the purposes/activities that you describe, and being a potential first time boat owner, I think an I/O "runabout" (also referred to as a "bow rider,"  euphemistically called a "bow riser"), is a good overall choice.

That Mercruiser 4.3 L engine is a solid performer, and the Alpha outdrive is perfect for that engine.  I used to have that exact setup on my first boat (an 18.5 ft Sea Ray).

But, I'm not at all familiar with that builder.  Those "Malibu" boats are in no way affiliated with the Malibu boats discussed in these forums.  So, I'm not familiar with their build quality or reputation. 

The top brands for I/O runabouts, IMHO, are Cobalt, Sea Ray, maybe Crownline.  I once owned a Chaparral that was a decent boat.  FWIW, I sold my 1998 Sea Ray for $12,500 back in 2004.  IMHO, those boats are seriously over-priced.

Hey kerunt.

Welcome to the wrong forum. 

Neither of those boats were made by Malibu Boats but I guess they were named Malibu (town in California). 

They both have the tried and tested Mercruiser 4.3 liter engine with I/O drive which is kind or the gold standard for 19' runabouts and will be great for you intended use.  I had a 19' Arabian with a 4.3 years ago.  Based on the years, they should both be fuel injected - which is a necessity I believe, especially for a new owner.  If the first one's hours are accurate and it's had the oil changed a few times and the stern drive oil is there (easy to check by unscrewing a plug a bit - not all the way - and then rubbing your fingers together to detect watered oil) then it should be OK.  The 4.3 is basically a GM V6 and is pretty bullet proof.  I would then base your purchase decision on the interiors and layout.

Welcome to boating!

Thanks, everyone. Helpful info!

Glad to hear the engines are known to be sound, although I've now no idea who actually manufactures these boats. Why in the world would they be called "Malibu" if that's not the manufacturer?! Got to dig deeper, I guess.

I agree. Overpriced even in Canadian dollars.  You should be able to get either for around $8 - $12 thousand US.  The second is only 17 feet.  Very small and will only be comfortable for 4 people and will ride rough on any big or busy water.

Edited by minnmarker
addition

Interesting to hear that you guys think the prices are high. These are both two of the lowest-priced "Malibu's" I have seen. 

My neighbour recommended I look into a Malibu Sunsetter or Response, and said I should expect to pay $20-25 CAD for a used one.

2 minutes ago, kerunt said:

Interesting to hear that you guys think the prices are high. These are both two of the lowest-priced "Malibu's" I have seen. 

My neighbour recommended I look into a Malibu Sunsetter or Response, and said I should expect to pay $20-25 CAD for a used one.

Very different boats. The sunsetter and response are direct drive ski boats. Designed for pulling water skiers. They also work well for wakeboard, and other tow sports. The ones you are looking at are more cruise/relax/fish type boats. 
Boat prices in Canada are crazy. I would say 15k for a boat is low, even for a 10+year old bowrider. I could sell my sunsetter close to 30k cdn right now

4 minutes ago, kerunt said:

They are not Malibus as we know them.  They are small I/O runabouts.  Totally different class of boat.  You should also look at other brands 19-21 foot runabouts.  there will be a lot of them.

36 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

They are not Malibus as we know them.  They are small I/O runabouts.  Totally different class of boat.  You should also look at other brands 19-21 foot runabouts.  there will be a lot of them.

Understood. And will look around for more!

33 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Hah. The company address is a 5 min drive from me. Thanks for digging this up!

2 hours ago, asp13 said:

Thanks, but I'm hoping for something a little newer & cleaner.

I'm going to take a look at this Campion 535 in an hour: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/vernon/bowrider-boat/1432056727?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There's also this Campion 545 nearby: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/kamloops/campion-545-allante-shuswap-edition/1431995518?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This Bayliner is also appealing: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/kamloops/2011-bayliner-185-br-3-0tks-mercruiser-one-owner/1430275952?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

None of these are fancy, but all seem clean, and able to do what I'm after. I especially like that the Campion boats have swim decks - that will be very useful both for people and for my dog, and is something I would have to add to any other boat.

Any thoughts on these models? How about the pricing?

55 minutes ago, Murphys said:

This thread is a perfect example of how great the MalibuCrew community is. People willingly and respectfully helping out a fellow boater who is looking at a totally different type of boat than most of us here presently own. Many of us started out with I/O or outboard boats.

Definitely a great bunch of folks here!

Edited by kerunt

The prices for the Campions strike me as high.  The Bayliner is interesting with its closed cooling system and galvanized trailer.  Did not know that was an option.

4 hours ago, Murphys said:

This thread is a perfect example of how great the MalibuCrew community is. People willingly and respectfully helping out a fellow boater who is looking at a totally different type of boat than most of us here presently own. Many of us started out with I/O or outboard boats.

Agreed!

14 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The prices for the Campions strike me as high.  The Bayliner is interesting with its closed cooling system and galvanized trailer.  Did not know that was an option.

It does seem like an interesting option. Probably good value.

Looked at the first Campion yesterday. "Excellent Condition, Well maintained" My a**! Tons of scratches inside and outside. Traces of algae on the gel coat. Torn and cracking fabric. Dirty in and out. Rust in numerous spots. Trailer is rusty, fenders cracking. Zero maintenance records because he just takes it to "the guy." Filthy engine bay. And the guy wants another $500 to "summerize" it, or take as-is. That's a hard pass, unfortunately.

There's also this option: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/6872911901.html . It's a 4 hour drive away, but possible. It's the "Vernon Malibu," for whatever good or bad that is. Seller is willing to take $18.5k as his bottom line. 17-footer seems a tad on the small side. Will research this local brand more...

Edited by kerunt

I would also take a look at a Regal, we used to own a  2004 Regal 2000, ran great and the out-drive is tucked back a little more than most of the options you have looked at, provides a little more safety. I think I paid around $19,000 USD back in 2012 with 120 hours then sold it a few years ago with 220 hours for $16,000.... hope the guy who bought it is not reading this.....