Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long distance towing with a 2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L w/ 3.08 Gears

TsNoteboom

I will be towing a 2017 VTX about 500 miles this weekend through mountainous terrain (Washington & Idaho I-90) with my 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L and 3.08 gear ratio. I normally tow a Ski Nautique 200 no problem, but I am wondering how the truck will do towing the VTX over that kind of terrain and distance. Does anyone have experience towing with a similar set-up? Is the truck up to the task? 

Thanks.

Have done that part of I-90 several times with my 2012 Expedition pulling the LSV.  Not sure of the gear ratio but it is pretty high.  The worst part is watching your speed on all of the corners when going down hill, especially heading East.  Not sure how the Chevy tow/haul works but I leave mine on and it seems to help holding gears a bit longer when ascending and descending.  Agree with the take your time.

What is that  a 6spd? Just lock out 6th or maybe even 5th on up hill climbs to prevent too much shifting. It will be fine.

19 hours ago, TsNoteboom said:

I will be towing a 2017 VTX about 500 miles this weekend through mountainous terrain (Washington & Idaho I-90) with my 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L and 3.08 gear ratio. I normally tow a Ski Nautique 200 no problem, but I am wondering how the truck will do towing the VTX over that kind of terrain and distance. Does anyone have experience towing with a similar set-up? Is the truck up to the task? 

Thanks.

You should be fine. 90 isn’t bad. The climb out if the river coming west is probably the steepest part. Watch your temps, but shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I tow our 23LSV over 90 and hwy 2 a few times every year and have used everything from A Touareg, Q7 and Dodge Durango (big engine variants) and never had issues on the pass. Have a great trip!

:plus1: no issues. just feel if the truck wants something. Slower lower gear watch temps. As said coming down the grades is something to watch don't over heat the brakes.

Interstates can only go 7% grade. Its still a good pull but if your vehicle is in good shape it should be no issues at all.

Awesome, thank you all for the great advice!

I took the truck in to Les Schwab this morning for a pre-trip inspection and they are making some minor brake adjustments. Everything else looks good to go. I will keep an eye on my temps and take it easy. Should be a beautiful trip with the weather we are having.

I'll post pics of the new boat once we get her home!

• Like 1

you'll be fine.  Like mentioned before, the climb out of Vantage is probably the steepest part, i felt it was steeper than the pass.  Keep an eye on temps and let the truck find a comfortable speed to work, even if that speed is slow.