Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about purchasing a used Response LX

jas1068

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum but not new to the boating world. My family has a 2001 ski nautique and I grew up learning to ski and wakeboard on it. Awesome boat!

Anyway, I am considering purchasing a 2002 response lx. My family mostly skis. I was wondering about the price of the boat to see if I am getting a good deal. The boat has 380 hours on the clock, and the interior is in excellent condition. The boat comes with a Wedge, shower, and depth gauge. The gel coat is in good shape, with only minor fading. The dealer is asking 17,500 right now. Is that a fair price for the boat? It is located in Western PA. 

Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks

1 hour ago, jas1068 said:

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum but not new to the boating world. My family has a 2001 ski nautique and I grew up learning to ski and wakeboard on it. Awesome boat!

Anyway, I am considering purchasing a 2002 response lx. My family mostly skis. I was wondering about the price of the boat to see if I am getting a good deal. The boat has 380 hours on the clock, and the interior is in excellent condition. The boat comes with a Wedge, shower, and depth gauge. The gel coat is in good shape, with only minor fading. The dealer is asking 17,500 right now. Is that a fair price for the boat? It is located in Western PA. 

Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks

I paid similar last year for a clean '01 with PerfectPass and a tandem trailer (though no shower).  It had similar hours.  That seems like a decent price.

Probably a fair price, assuming it is mechanically sound. A couple things to consider in evaluating price -  Which motor? (310 hp was standard. Monsoon, LS1, or Merc were optional) Trailer? (single or tandem?) 

Good luck with the decision/purchase!

I believe it is a single axle trailer with the Indmar 310 engine. 

Thanks for the feedback. I feel good now knowing that the priced asked is reasonable(assuming that everything is mechanically sound). 

310 is carbed.  325 is injected and called "Monsoon."  If it's not injected, make sure you lake test it and have the dealer show up with it cold.  I hate carbs on boats.

• Like 3

The motor in the boat I looked at is definitely fuel injected. Says so right on the top of the engine. I'm not actually sure other than that. The dealer had it advertised as Indmar 310. I will know more tomorrow when I take it for a test drive. Is there anything in particular I should look for in these Response boats? All I've ever known is the 2001 nautique. 

21 hours ago, jas1068 said:

The motor in the boat I looked at is definitely fuel injected. Says so right on the top of the engine. I'm not actually sure other than that. The dealer had it advertised as Indmar 310. I will know more tomorrow when I take it for a test drive. Is there anything in particular I should look for in these Response boats? All I've ever known is the 2001 nautique. 

If you search this site, there is an older thread about buying a used boat and what to look for when doing your water test. 

The boat you're looking at is a great skiing boat.  The price, provided all is in good working order mechanically, is certainly reasonable.  If there's one thing I'd be sure to look at, it's the HDS box.  It's a box where the shaft penetrates the hull aft of the coupling.  They are known to be prone to leakage.  There are several threads on this site about that issue as well.  If it does leak, it's a negotiation point with the dealer.  If it doesn't, you're good.  Either way, that boat will out ski a Nautique 2001 ALL DAY!

Good luck! 

ahopkins22LSV
56 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

If you search this site, there is an older thread about buying a used boat and what to look for when doing your water test. 

The boat you're looking at is a great skiing boat.  The price, provided all is in good working order mechanically, is certainly reasonable.  If there's one thing I'd be sure to look at, it's the HDS box.  It's a box where the shaft penetrates the hull aft of the coupling.  They are known to be prone to leakage.  There are several threads on this site about that issue as well.  If it does leak, it's a negotiation point with the dealer.  If it doesn't, you're good.  Either way, that boat will out ski a Nautique 2001 ALL DAY!

Good luck! 

Agreed on all points! Here is the article for a guide to buying a used boat.

Sold my '01 Response LX w' Monsoon two years ago for $16,500 so the price sounds about right.

I made two mistakes...    should not have sold it, and should not have sold it to a guy on my lake.   Every time he drives by I think to myself 'damm that's a good looking boat!'

12 hours ago, LakeOneSkier said:

Sold my '01 Response LX w' Monsoon two years ago for $16,500 so the price sounds about right.

I made two mistakes...    should not have sold it, and should not have sold it to a guy on my lake.   Every time he drives by I think to myself 'damm that's a good looking boat!'

That boat is a stunner 

• Like 1