Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 LSV Surf Setups

NWBU

3 hours ago, Doc Martin said:

Took Delivery of a 2020 23 LSV this weekend. No added lead yet. Started with stock surf settings with PNP bags at 10.6 and PW3 at wedge 2. Had to lessen wedge to 1 to smooth wave out. Not much appreciable difference in wave shape varying speeds between 10.6 and 11mph. Very poor steering to the left when tanks full. Anybody experience that? Our 21VLX had no issues turning left when fully ballasted?

Also, had some wake gate faults along the way too but was able to debug them.

Sounds like you need to add bow weight too, or reduce weight in the rear to keep the surfgates effective. Speed has more to do with lengthening out the wave and creating push as you drop back further from the boat. 11.2-11.4 is pretty solid with this boat.

If the steering is more than just the normal surfgate caused tension when it's deployed in surf left/regular, there's an adjustment on the rudder tab that a few have done this year. 

14 hours ago, NWBU said:

Sounds like you need to add bow weight too, or reduce weight in the rear to keep the surfgates effective. Speed has more to do with lengthening out the wave and creating push as you drop back further from the boat. 11.2-11.4 is pretty solid with this boat.

If the steering is more than just the normal surfgate caused tension when it's deployed in surf left/regular, there's an adjustment on the rudder tab that a few have done this year. 

Well, just about four hours on the boat… We’ve got a lot of time to play with Settings. The plug-in play ballast fills up the whole back locker on each side, actually rises all the way up to the locker  doors. We had this piggyback system in our 21 vlx But there was still plenty of room to store items such as lifejackets. I’m wondering if they are just larger or the stern storage lockers are shaped differently? I figure we will play with our bow ballast or put a little less in our stern tanks and see how things shape up.

When set up for surf left, very difficult to make left turns even when at half speed or slow speed to go pick up the rider. Wondering if the right surf gate is not retracting fully and opposing the rudder? Or is it a rudder issue like you suggested above?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Doc Martin said:

Well, just about four hours on the boat… We’ve got a lot of time to play with Settings. The plug-in play ballast fills up the whole back locker on each side, actually rises all the way up to the locker  doors. We had this piggyback system in our 21 vlx But there was still plenty of room to store items such as lifejackets. I’m wondering if they are just larger or the stern storage lockers are shaped differently? I figure we will play with our bow ballast or put a little less in our stern tanks and see how things shape up.

When set up for surf left, very difficult to make left turns even when at half speed or slow speed to go pick up the rider. Wondering if the right surf gate is not retracting fully and opposing the rudder? Or is it a rudder issue like you suggested above?

You shouldn’t be making turns back to your rider and half or slow speed. You should bright the throttle to idle and turn to the opposite side of the surfer. The boat will soon from the rollers pushing you and the the turn you initiated as you were slowing down. Then you can idle straight back to your rider. Safest for everyone and it is the least disturbance to the lake. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Doc Martin said:

On our 2019 21VLX, we also had issues turning to the left weighted heavily while idling back to a rider. The boat would only ever want to go straight or to the right.

Our dealer ended up doing an adjustment on the rudder tab a few weeks ago for us. Ever since then, our slow speed maneuverability has been much better. This hasn’t had any negative effect either on our steering while underway at cruising speed. If you notice you have absolutely 0 turning ability to the left while idling with weight, I don’t think it would hurt to see if your dealer can make an adjustment during your next service. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:45 PM, NWBU said:

Still tweaking my setup a bit and ran a little faster than normal this morning. 11.4-11.5 seemed to help firm up the regular side wave back in the curl.

Setup was all ballasts full, including 580 PNPs, 300 lbs of lead (150 in the observer locker, 100 under the observer seat, 50 behind driver’s seat), PW3 4-5 clicks from Lift/1-2 from Vert and 3 guys in the boat. RPMs were 3,500 at 11.5.

DB7968AC-5F0A-4BBD-863D-B84AF091D864.thumb.jpeg.e028c1b2baf010486aa34707293ca9f0.jpeg

53155DA6-B92B-4EAF-91BF-A182514D3CE8.thumb.jpeg.4a63ad3edb7c3b5d9b922195fba959cb.jpeg

3DF5543D-D9D9-4681-B5BE-EDD33EF252FE.thumb.jpeg.a4f341dda7af2f0f806c6ae5a1af8cfd.jpeg

What prop?

On 8/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, gregtay said:

I found anything under 11.0 doesn’t work great... so do try bumping the speed up.

@NWBU Keep the data coming! Your post was so helpful in getting our boat dialed in. I just picked up 200 pounds of lead today so I will play around this weekend. Here’s stock 100% x4, PnP 580’s 100%, Wedge at Ramp, 11.1, 2 people on the boat. So happy... so any additional tweaks will just bring bigger smiles. 

A656277D-C2B4-4270-A938-9CDBC102C86D.thumb.jpeg.2bd5499305e8ab9441973e75fe49925a.jpeg

A4730A78-DCC5-4448-90C9-83821F834A92.thumb.jpeg.20f2f91440021046b43f44367470fdcc.jpeg

FE61BA2D-FF07-48CA-8A15-601D697CBD61.thumb.jpeg.7e92e70aa681f11dbd9f207bbeab5987.jpeg

42261486-D230-4135-9111-F52FBBA1A17A.thumb.jpeg.ec98f98141301a34c1ad9ff3b60306f2.jpeg

What kind of prop do you run? Having trouble maintaining speed with ours... great pics

On 8/27/2019 at 6:09 AM, Doc Martin said:

We basically do what @ahopkinsVTX does. I want to emphasize  we throttle back and turn the boat to the opposite side of the surfer, let the boat drift a bit then keep turning and idle back to the rider. Approach the rider on the starboard side. Obviously if someone is approaching the rider,all finesse is off and we power over to protect the rider.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If your normal crew was 4-5 adults and 5 small kids - how would you guys set up a '19?  Sometimes fully loaded with a wind (and a bit of chop) - it won't get to 11.0.  

On 8/1/2019 at 7:58 PM, gregtay said:

Very clean fresh water, Lake Chelan, Washington. 50 mile long glacier lake... and very VERY deep (1500’ ish.) it is a very fun playground. After a week on the lake there is zero scum line.

:surfing: That lake is amazing. Makes me want to move to PNW!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Raleigh said:

:surfing: That lake is amazing. Makes me want to move to PNW!

You will think it is a little less amazing when you feel how cold that water is...  Also, the wind and chop tend to pick up in the afternoon.  But, Chelan is otherwise a beautiful place with lots of vineyards.  

31 minutes ago, Cory said:

You will think it is a little less amazing when you feel how cold that water is...  Also, the wind and chop tend to pick up in the afternoon.  But, Chelan is otherwise a beautiful place with lots of vineyards.  

Sounds good when its in the upper 90's and lake water feels like a pee bath! I'll have to add it to the Google Maps list. On the list with Lake Powell... but too far to trailer the boat... alas.

32 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Sounds good when its in the upper 90's and lake water feels like a pee bath! I'll have to add it to the Google Maps list. On the list with Lake Powell... but too far to trailer the boat... alas.

I grew up going to Powell and I miss the bath water. Chelas water temps aren’t bad in late July/Aug, feels good on a hot day. 

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

I grew up going to Powell and I miss the bath water. Chelas water temps aren’t bad in late July/Aug, feels good on a hot day. 

I bet it’s incredibly refreshing!

• 10 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, Doc Martin said:

Took Delivery of a 2020 23 LSV this weekend. No added lead yet. Started with stock surf settings with PNP bags at 10.6 and PW3 at wedge 2. Had to lessen wedge to 1 to smooth wave out. Not much appreciable difference in wave shape varying speeds between 10.6 and 11mph. Very poor steering to the left when tanks full. Anybody experience that? Our 21VLX had no issues turning left when fully ballasted?

Also, had some wake gate faults along the way too but was able to debug them.

Doc Martin,

Running a 2019 23 LSV, we are also having issues turning to the left with the ballast full, looks worse when the wedge is used  but I haven't set aside a day to just look into the issue and conduct tests on the water.  Any experience inputs, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, smith63 said:

Doc Martin,

Running a 2019 23 LSV, we are also having issues turning to the left with the ballast full, looks worse when the wedge is used  but I haven't set aside a day to just look into the issue and conduct tests on the water.  Any experience inputs, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

There is no issue, this is just a characteristic of the new heavier hulls when loaded down and using surfgate.  Rotational prop wash, surfgate, lots of mass in the water and IMO a slightly undersized rudder.