Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 LSV Surf Setups

NWBU

56 minutes ago, wdr said:

NWBU, what non ballasted cruising speed and rpm are you seeing with the 2277?

I haven’t paid much attention to this but last night my daughter was accelerating through 30 mph and I remember seeing 3,900 rpm. She was still accelerating though.

Thanks for insight. You have a slightly heavier empty boat with the lead, but I wouldn't think it would too much of a difference on the cruise. The difference of the '19 vice my '10 has me relearning about propping the boat. Remembering the prop hunt I went through on my '10, on the dealers recommendation and unfortunately I switched the 2249 for the 2773 on the build sheet. We don't travel a lot, but more than the 2773 is going to let us do comfortably IMO. An empty 20 mph saw us at 3650ish rpm last night which I am sure is going to offset the fuel efficiency gain of the M5 over the 350 w/1235. 30 mph puts us in the scary to me, 4900 rpm range which we seldom ever see, but it would be nice to have the lower cruising rpm with the higher speed and still maintain good surfing performance. I still haven't thrown in the Pnp to test the 2773, but I would be willing to bet it will be a great performer but...

8 hours ago, NWBU said:

My break in hours are done and we had enough time after work tonight for a quick run to try out the wave. I'm always jealous of the goofy side so I'm playing with some lead this year to see how much I can shape the regular side. I still need to dial in my setup a bit more to see what it can do but I thought tonight's setup was already pretty good.

Boat is a 2019 23 LSV with the PCM 6.0, 2277 prop and 580 PNPs. All stock and PNP ballast were full, with 300 lbs of lead (150 in the observer's compartment, and 150 in the port storage just aft of the observer's seat). Speed was 11.0 with 4 clicks of PW3 from Lift,. RPM's were 3,200-3,300, which was right around what I was hoping to see (and I think that's just awesome in this boat!). Tons of throttle left too.

I surfed a buddy's new 2019 25 LSV on Saturday, and didn't feel like I was taking a big step back tonight with this 23's setup. The extra lead on the port side gave the 23 enough list to steepen up the wave more than I was used to on my 2018, so I'm sticking with the lead this year.

Sorry, no goofy wave pics tonight. We see enough of those.

IMG_9920.thumb.JPG.537984691af231bf7e624bcf8d3c4ad6.JPG

We should finish out our break in hours on Friday with the goal of my wife surfing on Mothers Day... your photo has me excited to see what the new boat can kick out:).   We have the M6 but I would think the weight of the two motor would be roughly the same, right?  

1 hour ago, wdr said:

Thanks for insight. You have a slightly heavier empty boat with the lead, but I wouldn't think it would too much of a difference on the cruise. The difference of the '19 vice my '10 has me relearning about propping the boat. Remembering the prop hunt I went through on my '10, on the dealers recommendation and unfortunately I switched the 2249 for the 2773 on the build sheet. We don't travel a lot, but more than the 2773 is going to let us do comfortably IMO. An empty 20 mph saw us at 3650ish rpm last night which I am sure is going to offset the fuel efficiency gain of the M5 over the 350 w/1235. 30 mph puts us in the scary to me, 4900 rpm range which we seldom ever see, but it would be nice to have the lower cruising rpm with the higher speed and still maintain good surfing performance. I still haven't thrown in the Pnp to test the 2773, but I would be willing to bet it will be a great performer but...

Would your dealer let you swap back to the 2249? My sense is that would be a really good prop for your setup, plus you already paid the up charge to the 2773.

56 minutes ago, gregtay said:

We should finish out our break in hours on Friday with the goal of my wife surfing on Mothers Day... your photo has me excited to see what the new boat can kick out:).   We have the M6 but I would think the weight of the two motor would be roughly the same, right?  

Should be close enough in weight. And the wedge can adjust as needed for weight differences.

59 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Would your dealer let you swap back to the 2249? My sense is that would be a really good prop for your setup, plus you already paid the up charge to the 2773.

They might. Only have 16 hrs on it now with no damage. Going to take it in @ 20hrs per their guidance for the first service next week. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess.

Got out yesterday with 4 adults and the same ballast setup. Was seeing 3,100 RPMs for the goofy side with wedge 3 clicks from lift. That made my day!

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Still tweaking my setup a bit and ran a little faster than normal this morning. 11.4-11.5 seemed to help firm up the regular side wave back in the curl.

Setup was all ballasts full, including 580 PNPs, 300 lbs of lead (150 in the observer locker, 100 under the observer seat, 50 behind driver’s seat), PW3 4-5 clicks from Lift/1-2 from Vert and 3 guys in the boat. RPMs were 3,500 at 11.5.

DB7968AC-5F0A-4BBD-863D-B84AF091D864.thumb.jpeg.e028c1b2baf010486aa34707293ca9f0.jpeg

53155DA6-B92B-4EAF-91BF-A182514D3CE8.thumb.jpeg.4a63ad3edb7c3b5d9b922195fba959cb.jpeg

3DF5543D-D9D9-4681-B5BE-EDD33EF252FE.thumb.jpeg.a4f341dda7af2f0f806c6ae5a1af8cfd.jpeg

• Like 3

That wave is absolutely sick!  Ours tends to be shorter and taller even with extra bow weight, but we've been riding around 10.9-11.  I am wondering if moving to 11.2-11.3 will lengthen the wave but still give enough pocket and push.  Something to try for next time.

• Like 1

what kind of bow weight did you add @NWBU  you mentioned 150 in the observer locker, 100 under the observer seat...are you pushing the 100 closer to the bow and leaving the 150 port side under the wake view seat?

Edited by dbsurf
18 minutes ago, dbsurf said:

what kind of bow weight did you add @NWBU  you mentioned 150 in the observer locker, 100 under the observer seat...are you pushing the 100 closer to the bow and leaving the 150 under the wake view seat

I've got 100 lbs in the locker pushed as far forward as it will go, 50 right by the amps, and 100 under the observers seat against the port sidewall. I would push more weight forward but don't want get too bow heavy for loading on the trailer. No other bow weight of any kind though.

There's enough weight on the port side to make it so the goofy wave needs some help in this setup though. If a goofy rider is up, I'll move a couple bags of lead from the port to starboard side, or dump from the port side rear tanks to compensate.  

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

I found anything under 11.0 doesn’t work great... so do try bumping the speed up.

@NWBU Keep the data coming! Your post was so helpful in getting our boat dialed in. I just picked up 200 pounds of lead today so I will play around this weekend. Here’s stock 100% x4, PnP 580’s 100%, Wedge at Ramp, 11.1, 2 people on the boat. So happy... so any additional tweaks will just bring bigger smiles. 

A656277D-C2B4-4270-A938-9CDBC102C86D.thumb.jpeg.2bd5499305e8ab9441973e75fe49925a.jpeg

A4730A78-DCC5-4448-90C9-83821F834A92.thumb.jpeg.20f2f91440021046b43f44367470fdcc.jpeg

FE61BA2D-FF07-48CA-8A15-601D697CBD61.thumb.jpeg.7e92e70aa681f11dbd9f207bbeab5987.jpeg

42261486-D230-4135-9111-F52FBBA1A17A.thumb.jpeg.ec98f98141301a34c1ad9ff3b60306f2.jpeg

Love the colour of that wave. Is that salt water?

52 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

Love the colour of that wave. Is that salt water?

Very clean fresh water, Lake Chelan, Washington. 50 mile long glacier lake... and very VERY deep (1500’ ish.) it is a very fun playground. After a week on the lake there is zero scum line.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I've got 100 lbs in the locker pushed as far forward as it will go, 50 right by the amps, and 100 under the observers seat against the port sidewall. I would push more weight forward but don't want get too bow heavy for loading on the trailer. No other bow weight of any kind though.

There's enough weight on the port side to make it so the goofy wave needs some help in this setup though. If a goofy rider is up, I'll move a couple bags of lead from the port to starboard side, or dump from the port side rear tanks to compensate.  

good to know @NWBU  smart set up.  I'm going to move some of mine around based of yours.  I have 3 @ 25 in the battery compartment in the bow under the bow cushion.  (does not affect loading trailer) going to move 125 to the observers area behind the amps (was in the port storage)....and keep 50 on the starboard side behind the sub...under the dash.  might be good for regular and keep goofy nice so we can keep working on transfer tricks.  any thoughts on this?

Edited by dbsurf
7 minutes ago, dbsurf said:

good to know @NWBU  smart set up.  I'm going to move some of mine around based of yours.  I have 3 @ 25 in the battery compartment in the bow under the bow cushion.  (does not affect loading trailer) going to move 125 to the observers area behind the amps (was in the port storage)....and keep 50 on the starboard side behind the sub...under the dash.  might be good for regular and keep goofy nice so we can keep working on transfer tricks.  any thoughts on this?

I think that will help balance out the natural lean to the starboard side while under power (due to prop torque, heavy drivers, etc.), which improves the regular wave. You can also play around with your crew and park someone in a certain place to see what it would do if you put 100-150 lbs of ballast in that general area.

I tend to like any extra weight towards the bow since too much in the rear makes it easier to submerge the surfgates, and then you have to back off the wedge to compensate. If you get much more wash spilling over the face of the wave than the pics above, it's because too much water is running over top of the surfgates. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I think that will help balance out the natural lean to the starboard side while under power (due to prop torque, heavy drivers, etc.), which improves the regular wave. You can also play around with your crew and park someone in a certain place to see what it would do if you put 100-150 lbs of ballast in that general area.

I tend to like any extra weight towards the bow since too much in the rear makes it easier to submerge the surfgates, and then you have to back off the wedge to compensate. If you get much more wash spilling over the face of the wave than the pics above, it's because too much water is running over top of the surfgates. 

Yup

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, NWBU said:

My break in hours are done and we had enough time after work tonight for a quick run to try out the wave. I'm always jealous of the goofy side so I'm playing with some lead this year to see how much I can shape the regular side. I still need to dial in my setup a bit more to see what it can do but I thought tonight's setup was already pretty good.

Boat is a 2019 23 LSV with the PCM 6.0, 2277 prop and 580 PNPs. All stock and PNP ballast were full, with 300 lbs of lead (150 in the observer's compartment, and 150 in the port storage just aft of the observer's seat). Speed was 11.0 with 4 clicks of PW3 from Lift,. RPM's were 3,200-3,300, which was right around what I was hoping to see (and I think that's just awesome in this boat!). Tons of throttle left too.

I surfed a buddy's new 2019 25 LSV on Saturday, and didn't feel like I was taking a big step back tonight with this 23's setup. The extra lead on the port side gave the 23 enough list to steepen up the wave more than I was used to on my 2018, so I'm sticking with the lead this year.

Sorry, no goofy wave pics tonight. We see enough of those.

IMG_9920.thumb.JPG.537984691af231bf7e624bcf8d3c4ad6.JPG

This is so great @NWBU! I’m also a PNW guy with this hull (T23). How many people were in boat with the above setup? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by ScottyT23

@NWBU soooo, how is it that your surf gates aren’t buried? Every time I drop wedge I get tons of water splashing over wave. 

The best wave I can get is full ballast with 750s PNP, 200# lead in port locker, 200# lead tucked way up under storage compartment, at 11.3 with wedge stowed. 

Maybe too fast??

7 hours ago, ScottyT23 said:

@NWBU soooo, how is it that your surf gates aren’t buried? Every time I drop wedge I get tons of water splashing over wave. 

The best wave I can get is full ballast with 750s PNP, 200# lead in port locker, 200# lead tucked way up under storage compartment, at 11.3 with wedge stowed. 

Maybe too fast??

You need more bow weight or less transom weight to keep things in balance. I don’t know the T23 well but the 23 LSV has a bow tank so the extra lead up front is on top of that weight to keep the bow down. Anytime surfgates are submerging and getting too much water spilling over, it means the bow is too high.

Or try running with half the PNP weight in the rear and then you should be able to use the wedge more.

Took Delivery of a 2020 23 LSV this weekend. No added lead yet. Started with stock surf settings with PNP bags at 10.6 and PW3 at wedge 2. Had to lessen wedge to 1 to smooth wave out. Not much appreciable difference in wave shape varying speeds between 10.6 and 11mph. Very poor steering to the left when tanks full. Anybody experience that? Our 21VLX had no issues turning left when fully ballasted?

Also, had some wake gate faults along the way too but was able to debug them.

Edited by Doc Martin