Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First cruise of the year

kylesullens

Took the family out for the first cruise of the year in our 06 23LSV.  Was pretty impressed with my winterization job.  All I had to do was hook up the battery and she ran like brand new.  

While we were on the lake, I was being a good sport and kicking up a wave for some guys buzzing around on seadoos.  They were criss-crossing my wake when *wham*, they ran into each other.  The unmistakable sound of fiberglass cracking.  No injuries, but they went straight to shore, got their buddies and gear, and straight to the launch.  I'm pretty sure one of them had a cracked hull based on the speed of collision and the noise.

Karma.

15 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

While we were on the lake, I was being a good sport and kicking up a wave for some guys buzzing around on seadoos.  They were criss-crossing my wake when *wham*, they ran into each other.  The unmistakable sound of fiberglass cracking.  No injuries, but they went straight to shore, got their buddies and gear, and straight to the launch.  I'm pretty sure one of them had a cracked hull based on the speed of collision and the noise.

Karma.

So you were encouraging this behavior?  I am not sure how that is Karma.  

Then we can't figure out why they do this when pulling a surfer or wakeboarder.   

Given the American legal system, if one of them had been killed, you would find yourself deeply involved.  

I hate jet skis, or lake mosquitos as the wife calls them.  Let one of them endanger a rider by getting too close, and my temper skyrockets.  However, if they want to criss cross my wake while I am under way, with no riders, and maintain a legal and safe distance from the boat, then that is their right, whether I like it or not.  I personally wouldn't intentionally encourage them by riding around at a speed designed to create a maximum jumping wake, but don't really see a reason why the original poster should be called out if  he wants to.   Any time two watercraft wreck in proximity to a third boat, you could get sued for something.  

I owned a seadoo when I was (much) younger, and enjoy riding them on occasion. As we all know, most of the people who ride them do not know (or care) about safety of themselves or others, nor do they have experience to be operating high performance watercraft.  

That being said, when the lake is not crowded and I'm not towing anyone, I don't mind if they want to jump my wake, so long as they are keeping a safe distance.  These guys were keeping a safe distance, but obviously not keeping an awareness of their surroundings.

As for liability, maybe there is a lawyer on here that can comment.  I'm sure that a PI attorney would try to sue any party that (a) was in proximity to the incident and (b) has money.  My defense would be that I was cruising at normal speed in open water, which naturally causes a wake.  This attracted the seadoo riders, whose actions I cannot control.

The 'karma' comment was directed at all of the seadoo riders who have we have all witnessed causing annoying or unsafe situations in the past.

Glad nobody was hurt.  I hope they learned something.  

• Like 3

Actually that's done quite often on our lake - but if they get too close to us or each other they get waved over and a talking to.  Has worked so far.  I guess they're just responsible kids - who have to have taken a Responsible Boating course (in WI) - and know that we know (or can easily find out) where their cabin (parent) is.  The only recent PWC accident on the lake was a PWC getting hit by a runabout pulling two tubes with boat full of kids with the nose up.  The PWC was idling in a small bay while the rider was diagnosing an engine issue when it got hit.  I was the rider :(

While I despise PWCs for what they do to glass calm water when they're out, at least they leave us alone when pulling a skier.  Hitting a Response wake is pretty boring on a PWC.  You guys should take up slalom skiing.

• Like 1