Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Guru Help Please - Woofers

minnmarker

So I'm buying a new pontoon boat - that does not have a good place on the floor for the Down Firing 12" WetSounds Sub I built a few yeas ago.  It sounds awesome by the way!

So, for the new pontoon, I am looking at these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BY6Q31X/ 10" Tube woofer from Kicker.

I have a 1200 watt rms (into 2 ohm) / 600 watt rms (into 4 ohm) Kicker CX1200.1 amp to power the sub(s).

My questions are:

Should I get one of them or two?  2 or 4 ohm?  Should I get them at all?

Should they be mounted upright or horizontal (see Amazon page)?

Should I get the 4 ohm version and wire them in parallel or the 2 ohm version and wire them in series?  Or some other way?  Note the description only says they handle 400 watts in either resistance but I'm not sure that is right.

Thanks!

Edited by minnmarker
change

I havent heard one of these, but I never cared for the "Bazooka" brand. 

As far as ohms, power handling wont change but the load on the amp will. So selecting an amp to run them will play into what version to get. A good mono block amp you could run at 1 ohm would run two of the 2ohm subs at 1ohm wired parallel. But a Two channel amp will not. A 4ch amp could be used bridged in two channel mode to run a pair of 4ohm subs.

1 hour ago, COOP said:

I havent heard one of these, but I never cared for the "Bazooka" brand. 

As far as ohms, power handling wont change but the load on the amp will. So selecting an amp to run them will play into what version to get. A good mono block amp you could run at 1 ohm would run two of the 2ohm subs at 1ohm wired parallel. But a Two channel amp will not. A 4ch amp could be used bridged in two channel mode to run a pair of 4ohm subs.

Not sure about a 1 ohm load but the amp is one channel and will push 1200 watts into 2 ohms or 600 into 4 ohms.  If I do get the woofers (which have good reviews for what they are) then I'll probably get the 4 ohm versions and run them in parallel?  The amp is a Kicker CX1200.1 that I have sitting on the shelf in my shop.

23 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I have a 1200 watt rms (into 2 ohm) / 600 watt rms (into 4 ohm) Kicker CX1200.1 amp to power the sub(s).

I would go with two 4 ohm woofers for this amp. That would give you 600W rms available to each "kicker" brand woofers. 

In a boat, I would mount them horizontally. Vertically, you can create a catch bowl for water.   

6 minutes ago, MLA said:

I would go with two 4 ohm woofers for this amp. That would give you 600W rms available to each "kicker" brand woofers. 

In a boat, I would mount them horizontally. Vertically, you can create a catch bowl for water.   

Thanks.  That makes good sense, and you're right about the water - and stability is a factor too.

I know they're a new form so maybe I'll be a guinea pig.  They have gotten great reviews from the car folks.  Why the quotes?  Are they made by someone else?