Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Securing ballast in lockers

Lindt

I picked up some used 16 x 16 x 50 Fat Sacs very cheaply. These are obviously narrower than the rear lockers in the 2019 T22. Do I need to secure them somehow or locate them in the locker with high density foam blocks either side? The boat already has hard tanks and PnP (haven't looked at the plumbing side yet).

All advice welcome (including "Don't waste your time and get fitted ones" but these are hideously expensive in Australia).

Thanks

ahopkins22LSV

Standard plug n play plumbing is a connection at the front and rear of the locker. There is now much of any slack in the lines because the intent is to use fitted bags. I don’t know what the distance is between them. If the bags are too short you could add hose with a connection to the plug n play plumbing then to the bag again. If they are too long they will food and pinch when filling, not good. 

How much weight are they supposed to hold? They will probably stay out once full if you can manage to get them hooked up to your PNP. 

You say it’s a 2019? I assume you bought it new from a dealer over there? I don’t know how it works there but have you asked them for pricing on bags? Many dealers in the US include them with the purchase of a new boat. 

Also, I know shipping would probably be a ton, but have you looked at wakemakers? If you become a supporting member to the site you get a discount code you can use with them too. 

Thanks ahopkinsVTX. The boat’s at the dealer having its first service so I won’t get to it until the weekend to check. I think the Aussie PnP is an older version with the long hose to the top of the bag but I didn’t pay enough attention when we were out a few weeks ago. Didn’t expect to buy the bags but they were only $40 the pair with a 1200 Tsunami pump so couldn’t pass them by. Will need to change fittings for PnP.

Fitted bags are A$440 each (USD620 a pair!) so not thrown in as part of the purchase. Got a great deal on the stock boat in all other respects though.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Lindt said:

Thanks ahopkinsVTX. The boat’s at the dealer having its first service so I won’t get to it until the weekend to check. I think the Aussie PnP is an older version with the long hose to the top of the bag but I didn’t pay enough attention when we were out a few weeks ago. Didn’t expect to buy the bags but they were only $40 the pair with a 1200 Tsunami pump so couldn’t pass them by. Will need to change fittings for PnP.

Fitted bags are A$440 each (USD620 a pair!) so not thrown in as part of the purchase. Got a great deal on the stock boat in all other respects though.

Check this link out: https://www.wakemakers.com/axis-rear-ballast-upgrade.html

Looks like wakemakers bags are USD$420 for 550's which is Malibu's suggested bag size. EDIT: just checked their shipping estimate for Melbourne, $135 - so that is a lot and makes your dealers price sound pretty fair to be honest.