Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

10hrs on A24 - Service Engine on, MIL, any thoughts?

So - the water temp has hit 65 and I take the boat out for the first time since getting it from the dealer.  Runs fine for about 30 min or so, then the Service Engine comes on, MIL, beeping, won't stop.  Quickly go online and it does not seem to be catastrophic.  Boat does not go into limp mode, I'm able to drive slowly to get home, shut off engine every 5 min or so.  All other gauges are fine - temp, oil pressure, etc.

I am getting a

Fault 1

SPN 94

FM 0

Attached are images of the fault, the dash, etc.  Get back to the dock and start looking around the engine to see if there are any obvious signs of something being wrong.  Thankfully not much - no water or oil or fuel of fluid of any kind in the bilge, engine perfectly clean.

I do notice that there are caution tags still attached to the bottom of the engine, and I notice on each side of the engine there are hoses with blue stoppers in them not connected to anything.

I also notice a female electrical connection with no male.

Any ideas?  Contacted dealer as well, have not heard back.  

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

I have not checked them, although after some more digging I found that it appears this is related to low pressure fuel.  The MIL is usually emissions related as well.  Found this manual with a list of fault codes: http://www.whitestonelakes.com/documents/Section 4 - PCM/4.04 GCP_4G Diagnostic Manual.pdf

And found this thread where it was identified as well: 

I got the same alarm on my 17 axis. It did it a few times but not since about 25 hours. I think one time it did it after sitting on the lake for a little while and I went to start the motor. It alarmed. I shut off and restarted. Problem went away. I now have 130 on it. Never threw a code or went into limp mode. Those hoses are for the block drains. They are supposed to be like that. And the missing connector might be an option like lighting or fire suppression. It usually says it on a tag that’s near the plug. As far as the fault code you got. Disconnect batteries, wait about 10 minutes then reconnect. If the code comes back have it looked at. If it doesn’t, run the thing and don’t look back. I swear these boats will throw a code if they get a bad puff of air somewhere. If you have oil pressure you’re good. 

I have same problem,  dealer said it is an O2 sensor issue. Never leaves a fault in the memory or an active code while running. Dealer hasn't solved  it to date, I just shut it off and restart and it goes away for a while.  I have 73 hours and my 409 runs great, just that darn alarm...

Interesting - thanks for the responses.  Sounds like the exact same issue.  I'm not seeing an active fault code either.  That alarm going off constantly isn't going to work too well with my wife though...  I was getting about 5 minutes in between starts where it was not going off.

Will try the battery disconnect next.

14 hours ago, KPG1 said:

I have same problem,  dealer said it is an O2 sensor issue. Never leaves a fault in the memory or an active code while running. Dealer hasn't solved  it to date, I just shut it off and restart and it goes away for a while.  I have 73 hours and my 409 runs great, just that darn alarm...

The alarm in a small round speaker under the dash. It’s the same alarm that sounds when you cycle the key. I wrapped a couple loops of electrical tape around mine. You can still hear it but it’s 100 times better. 

It is the same alarm as the overheat, correct?  Hate hacking it like this, although it is probably easy enough to put in a little bypass if this doesn't get solved...

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any one know how to resolve this? 

My 2021 A22 only did 12 hours and MIL and faults came out. Checked fuel rail, connectors and release air pressure at fuel filter. Good for about 30 mins then problem come back. 

Any one know how to resolve this? 

My 2021 A22 only did 12 hours and MIL and faults came out. Checked fuel rail, connectors and release air pressure at fuel filter. Good for about 30 mins then problem come back. 

55 minutes ago, CharlesW said:

Thanks for the diagram, does that mean I need to change the injector? 

No, you need to get the dealer to look at it. It could be something simple or something more involved.

• 2 months later...

I’m getting something similar, no active codes but the check engine and MIL lights are on.    Lost power while pulling a rider, can’t get up on plane now.  Guessing that’s limp mode.   

Our dealer took a look at it and referenced faulty pin receptacles in our relay module.  Essentially the receiving end wasn't fitting tight to the pin, causing the electric signal to arc and damaging the relay pins.  Both my ignition and fuel relay needed to be adjusted and they installed new relays.   They had mentioned that they see this for PCM engines in 2019.   If it were to happen again they would need to install a new wiring harness.