Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need to replace my prop

I was going over my boat before I put it in the water and noticed a ding or two in the prop. Is this severe enough for me to need to swap it out?  Unfortunately I do not have a spare prop.  Thoughts?

C7297EC3-7CA8-46F9-9404-132C1FD0D5A9.thumb.jpeg.1404b68bd90dd14c542f200efcbaa543.jpeg

508C3D58-CC3E-488F-9E69-C28D5437E36C.thumb.jpeg.54042c821892900d0a20f8c457f7cc1e.jpeg

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You need to get that fixed, that should be more than enough to cause vibrations 

Who fixes those? Dealers?

If that is the only issue, I'd grab a hammer and bang it out (with another hammer or a dolly behind it to buck the blows).  Just match it to the other blades. 

If it doesn't vibrate, it's probably good.  If it does, then have a prop shop bang it for you. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, justgary said:

If that is the only issue, I'd grab a hammer and bang it out (with another hammer or a dolly behind it to buck the blows).  Just match it to the other blades. 

If it doesn't vibrate, it's probably good.  If it does, then have a prop shop bang it for you. 

I'd do this.  I wouldn't do it on the boat, I'd pull it first.  I've done this a few times in the past.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, justgary said:

It can't hurt to give this a shot first.  If it works it saves me a trip and bill from the Prop Shop.  Regardless, I think I need to invest in a backup prop.  Now I need to figure out which one.  Wakemakers' prop finder recommends an Acme prop which is different than my standard OJ 948 that came on my boat.  The 948 is 15x14.  The standard recommended prop for the Acme is a 2277 which is 15x15.75. 

I have a prop bag with a spare prop for the RLXi.  I need to get one for the VLX now.  It's well worth having an extra.  I've never had to use it, thankfully, but having one on hand just in case is worth the expense if you need to use it.  

58 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I have a prop bag with a spare prop for the RLXi.  I need to get one for the VLX now.  It's well worth having an extra.  I've never had to use it, thankfully, but having one on hand just in case is worth the expense if you need to use it.  

Yeah that is what I figured. I just ordered the stock prop I had on my boat from Great Lakes Skipper.  They had the best price by far on my prop. However, they did not have new cotter pins, or at least the girl I talked to had no idea what I needed. Anybody know the size of the cotter pins? I am guessing they are a stainless steel 3/16” pin, but what length? I don’t have my boat to double check it.  Longer is always better than shorter.

8 hours ago, Hemmy said:

It can't hurt to give this a shot first.  If it works it saves me a trip and bill from the Prop Shop.  Regardless, I think I need to invest in a backup prop.  Now I need to figure out which one.  Wakemakers' prop finder recommends an Acme prop which is different than my standard OJ 948 that came on my boat.  The 948 is 15x14.  The standard recommended prop for the Acme is a 2277 which is 15x15.75. 

Really?  Malibu spec'd OJs in 2017?

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Really?  Malibu spec'd OJs in 2017?

I called a local dealer to try to see if they had one and the guy didn’t believe my boat came with that prop.  I knew what prop I needed but he said Malibu only uses Acme.  I even gave him my Hull ID.  He got back to me and was surprised they used those.  He told me he could order it for and it was going to cost me over $1000.  

36 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

$1000 for a prop??? WTH?

$1022.45 plus shipping is what this one dealer told me.

I picked mine up from Great Lakes Skipper for $479

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Oj+948

$589 at Wakemakers.

https://www.wakemakers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ok+948

@Hemmy:  given how soft Nibral is, I would repair it using a small block of wood between the hammer and the prop, that way you won't mar the machining marks.  And as noted, removed from boat.

• Like 2

I personally would not try and hammer on a prop to fix dings except maybe to save a weekend.  (But the better practice to save weekends is to carry a spare).  If a prop is out of balance the vibration it causes can slowly tear your drive train up even if you don't notice that its vibrating and even if it looks right to the naked eye.  

• Like 2