Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a board recommendation for a small girl

amartin

We are pretty new to wake surfing and need some advice about a board for my daughter.  We got a Liquid Force Rocket (4’6”) for Christmas and I think that it is too big and buoyant for my 9 year old.  My 100# 11 year old and her xxx# yy year (I know better than to use real numbers there!) young mom have both learned pretty quickly to get up on this board.  The 9 yr old is only 4’3” tall and weighs just 65#.  I feel like she doesn’t have the weight to be able to “sink” the board when starting, as the board stays pretty flat and just drags her along behind it instead of allowing her to “roll” onto the board and stand up.

Is my thinking right on this?  I know that this would be a lot easier to diagnose with pics or video, but the attached is the best I have I.  Any recommendations for a board that will sink a bit easier for the little kids?  Is it just the shortest board I can find, or is there a less buoyant type of board that I should be looking for?  I expect this will not be a long term board for her, so I don’t want to spend a ton of $$$ if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

63B10F27-F020-4FD3-AF00-6D492BEDEBBA.jpeg

Phase 5 Scamp is a great kids board. Both my kids and my two nieces learned on them. They road the scamp from 80 lbs up to 130 lbs. It is a great board. It is 3’9”.  

Teaching kids can be hard. They need to learn to bend their knees until their chest is resting on their thighs. Having their heels closer to the edge of the board can help. I would not try to pull her up in the position shown in the photo. 

The position that I teach is to have their knees bent as far as they can bend (think a full squat). The outside of their knee caps will be touching the inside of the funny bone in their elbows. I encourage them to stay in a full crouch as long as possible. 

Edited by BLSousa

phase 5 scamp or Kanuk ankel bitter are the two best kids boards out there rated for smaller riders. 

When you are pulling her up, tell her to push down with her heels and try to get her toes on the board, bending her knees all the way up into the inside of her elbows.  When you are driving, slowly start to give it more gas until the board is plowing the water, if she is not pushing the board down enough do not give it any more gas as she will not get up. 

Thanks for the recommendations. That pic was before we tightened the rope - she does a good job of letting the tension pull her into a ball, but no matter how hard she pushes down, the board stays flat.

• 3 months later...

After many trips out and alot of 9 year old girl emotions :) she finally figured it out last night. Got some work to do, but so much easier to help them once they figure out how to get up on their own.

file.jpeg

• Like 2