Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on 2007 VLX

shiftman

Greetings. I wanted to ask for opinions regarding the purchase of a red/white 2007 Malibu VLX. The Craigslist add lists the boat at 23 ft., 512 hours, excellent condition and an asking price of 40k. From the add pics, the boat looks very nice with only two faded spots on the back deck upholstery. Before I scheduled a demo ride, I thought that I would inquire here as to thoughts regarding this boat and things that I might look for when doing an inspection. This would be my first wakeboard boat. Thanks in advance for any information.

ahopkins22LSV

The vlx is a very nice boat, but it’s not 23 feet. It’s 21. With the platform it might measure 23. I suggest looking over this list before going to the demo. 

Which engine?  They made VLXs with the LCR, with the Monsoon, and with the Hammerhead.  LCR is adequate, but most boarders would insist on Monsoon at a minimum [especially when asking price is that high].

Which wedge?  In 2007, they offered the power wedge and the floating wedge.  Either is fine for wakeboarding, though the power wedge will have much higher maintenance costs going forward.  Power wedge was an upgrade.

Which hull?  A 2007 VLX will probably have the "wake hull."  But, they could be special ordered with the "diamond hull."  If you want it for wakeboarding, you'll want the wake hull.

Which trailer?  Extreme trailer was an upgrade.  If it has less expensive Boatmate, or Roadrunner, well . . . price should reflect. 

Also, what about trailer maintenance?  Original tires (if so, you're on borrowed time)?  Bearings repacked?  Bunk carpet condition?

Does boat have front ballast?  As a boarder [or a surfer], you will want weight in the bow.  Front ballast was an upgrade, and a boat that already has it is worth a little more.  Not a deal breaker if it doesn't, but something with which to negotiate price.

Thanks for the info. I found out that this model did not come in the 23 foot length when I checked the NADA. I believe that the seller included the swim deck in the length of the boat. Basically, I was just curious as to whether this model and year boat had any nagging or structural issues from the factory. I have never owned a Malibu boat, but I do read many positive comments about their build quality.

@srab just curious how much more “maintenance” is the power wedge than the floating wedge?  I know the floating wedge has basically no maintenance and the actuators can go out on the power wedge but how common and frequent is that and how Much is it to repair?

just curious as I’m in the market for a 23 LSV 04-07 and and torn between the Manuel wedge and power wedge. 

We wakeboard 90% and surf 10%     

I own a 2007 VLX and it has been a great boat. We have a power wedge and yes it could stop working, but it hasn’t yet. It is there if you want it and the power wedge is great to shape the wake. It is also great for resale. I think it’s wakeboard wake is competitive to this day. A beginner, or a pro can find what they need. It is a decent surf boat, but no LSV. Surfing you end up closer to the platform on mine than a 23ft boat.

My indmar moonsoon 350 is ok for what we use it for. All in all mine has toogle switches and no touch screens. I wish you could order a new Malibu that way still. The only thing mine doesn’t have are surf gates. That is fixed by putting a suck gate on.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Lptexastornado1 said:

@srab just curious how much more “maintenance” is the power wedge than the floating wedge?  I know the floating wedge has basically no maintenance and the actuators can go out on the power wedge but how common and frequent is that and how Much is it to repair?

just curious as I’m in the market for a 23 LSV 04-07 and and torn between the Manuel wedge and power wedge. 

The power wedge is zero maintenance in comparison to the floating wedge as neither of them require maintenance. The risk with the power wedge is that it uses actuators to move positions. Those can fail, but as said above they don’t always. Sorry I can’t help with the price if they need to be replaced.

10 hours ago, Lptexastornado1 said:

If I were you, I wouldn't let the presence of absence of a power wedge be a deal breaker.

Power wedge first came out in 2006, so if you're looking at 04-07, none of the 04s and 05s will have it (unless someone installed one on their older boat).

If you decide to purchase an 06 or 07 boat, the 06 will have either the older fixed wedge or the power wedge, as floating wedge didn't come out until 07 (again, unless someone swapped their older boat's wedge out for the floater).

I don't have a power wedge.  I have the old fixed wedge.  I replace the screws on it periodically.  Got a whole box of SS screws for under $10. 

But, if you are looking at a boat that is 12+ years old that has electrical components submerged in water, at some point you are likely going to have to replace said components.  If you can do it yourself, I think the actuator motors can be purchased for around $55 on ebay.  If you take it to the dealership for repair, you can probably add quite a bit more (many will charge you over $200 just for an impeller change!).

Here is an excellent article on actuator rebuild: