Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Auto Vent Install - 25LSV

riffraff

I’m installing the Wakemakers Auto Vent system on my pnp bags. Boat is a 2019 25 LSV. The instructions state that the WM kit is supposed to install at the thru-hull fitting. That fitting is inaccessible best I can tell and as felt by my fiberglass cut up hands. Any reason why the kit won’t work if installed at the tank vent location as shown in my pic? WM is closed on Sat. so TMC is my go to expert source!

D936DD6A-6F96-4CB8-BDFF-32DD59895256.jpeg

Just installed the kit on my 23 and definitely thought about doing that, and it should work just the same as long as the check valve is oriented the correct way.  I ended up using the thru hull and gained access by opening up the seat bases running down the sides and standing on my head in a not so comfortable boat yoga pose.

16 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I think I am a little dumb here...What problem is this supposed to solve?  

On the newer boats, rear vents (auto vent) is an option you can select on the build sheets.  If you do not select it, or if the dealer did not select it on a inventory boat, you have to manually burp the pnp bags.  Wakemakers came out with a kit to vent the bags that can be added later if you didn't get the factory installed option.

• Like 1

On my 2018 the auto vent was included as part of PNP.  You can see below, it’s an $822 option.  Did you select option for PNP?  Are they no longer including them together?

717E4D30-FF97-4377-B45C-EE3510096A6B.jpeg

My build sheet says it has the Auto Vent.  I have noticed that there is still always about 3 inches of air in the top of the bags, but I think that is due to the port placement.  It is close enough to full, that I haven't bothered to burp it out.  

The air in the bag is a pretty big problem without the Auto Vent plumbing?  

22 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

My build sheet says it has the Auto Vent.  I have noticed that there is still always about 3 inches of air in the top of the bags, but I think that is due to the port placement.  It is close enough to full, that I haven't bothered to burp it out.  

Mine will fill all the way if I press fill again. 100% is top of tanks. Bags are a little higher. However, when I do fill them all the way mine will drain back down to level. I think it is draining out through the drain pump. As there is a dribble coming out of the drain thru hull.

Edited by Sparky450
48 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Is the check valve necessary with these pumps? I have everything to install the vents except the check valves. 

Just a guess...but I think the check valve is more critical to draining the bags than filling.  A secondary benefit of the auto-vent system is that the bags will completely empty or come darn close to it.  Without the check valve you might be subject to sucking air back into the ballast system when draining.

From WakeMakers website:

Preventing Siphon Draining: When using an aerator pump in an automated ballast system, installing a check valve between the ballast bag and pump will prevent a siphon from starting, which can completely drain the bags.

Drain Above Waterline: When using a flexible vane reversible ballast pump, check valves can also be used to drain ballast bags above the waterline, offering visual and audible indication of when the system is draining.

Share One Thru-hull Connector: Another popular application for check valves is to combine the drain or vent line on two ballast bags while isolating them from each other. That prevents water that is being pumped out of one bag from flowing back down into the other while sharing a common thru-hull connector, which reduces the number of holes that have to be drilled in the boat.

Edited by riffraff

SImple solution (sometimes the hardest to see!)...I need to reverse the Y in the original pic so that both vents are combining into the exit hose.  In theory, I'm currently venting into the hard ballast vent though I doubt it matters too much.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Same here.  I had it added as part of my build, but a little air gets trapped in the top of the bag.  If you put some pressure on top of the bag it will vent the rest of the way.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

$820 option and you still need to burp?

No.  Try to pay attention...

For $583 you get the basic PnP.  There's no way for air to vent so the bag may seem full but have some air in the top.  So yeah, if you want to max out the bag and get that last 10lbs. of water in there, you're gonna have to burp.

-or-

For $822 you the PnP with "Auto Vent" which has plumbing at the top of the bag to let the air out.  

Choice is a marvelous thing!  Even if you whiff and order the basic PnP, you can easily add the vents using a Wakemakers retrofit kit, which is what this thread is about.  

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

No.  Try to pay attention...

For $583 you get the basic PnP.  There's no way for air to vent so the bag may seem full but have some air in the top.  So yeah, if you want to max out the bag and get that last 10lbs. of water in there, you're gonna have to burp.

-or-

For $822 you the PnP with "Auto Vent" which has plumbing at the top of the bag to let the air out.  

Choice is a marvelous thing!  Even if you whiff and order the basic PnP, you can easily add the vents using a Wakemakers retrofit kit, which is what this thread is about.  

To add to what @IXFE said, the Wakemakers kit is $100 and covers your order whiff.  Some don't mind burping but I do.  I don't care about the extra 10 lbs of water but it I do care about not having air pushing my bags and the compartment separators beyond my comfort zone.  For me, its cheap piece of mind...w/auto vent I can hear the tanks + bag overflowing and I simply reach forward to push a stop button on the ballast.  Done.  No more excusing myself to head to the back of the boat and peer into the back compartments while performing chest compressions on the bags.  One less thing to handle in a crowd while we prepare to hit the water.  For me, a lot of the advantage of this new boat is automation and freeing up the captain's duty list.  

Edited by riffraff
11 hours ago, riffraff said:

One less thing to handle in a crowd while we prepare to hit the water.  For me, a lot of the advantage of this new boat is automation and freeing up the captain's duty list.  

This. I had full ballast on my 07. I also had everything for automated gates. The main reason for the new boat was 1 button and ride. And the surf band is the new marriage saver!!!