Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer wheels. Will they fit.

riot138

I was searching through the forums here and I found that if I wanted to go 18X9 I would have to increase the fender size.  I found some wheels that are 18X8 and I am wondering if those would work without having to mod the trailer.  I have an eagle trailer that came with a 2007 23LSV.  The hub bore is 78.30, would that be large enough?  I've also read in another similar thread offset should be between +10-+25.  I'm wondering if 35mm would be too much?  The load for these are 1950.  The boat is still in heated storage just trying to get some stuff inline for when she comes home.

18"

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/kmc+xd+series/xd818+heist/XD81888012735

16"

https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/xd-heist-xd818-wheels-16x8-5x114-30-black-10mm-XD81868012710/

Wheel width isn't the issue, it is tire width.  The narrower tires in a 18" don't have enough load rating.  

Also, if you are investing in 5 wheels/tires, is it really that much more to swap out fenders?  I've done it and the answer is no.

I'm leaning towards the 16" version so I have a little more tire when going over curbs.  My neighbor parks his truck on the road directly in front of my driveway so sometimes the only way to get in or out is to take the curb up.  Any tire recommendations for 16X8?

Edited by riot138

Tire recommendation.  Stay away from trailer tires IMO.  Most are now made in China and quality has been hit or miss.  

Malibu is shipping all their trailers using  OHTSU ST5000.  At least they did in 2016.    OHTSU is a Japanese tire mfg.     I have them on my 2016 trailer.  

So far so good.  Site says:  Ohtsu ST5000 is a model designed for SUV’s and crossovers. This tire is a great all-season performer for the value

https://ohtsu-tires.com/ohtsu-st5000/

16 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Tire recommendation.  Stay away from trailer tires IMO.  Most are now made in China and quality has been hit or miss.  

Malibu is shipping all their trailers using  OHTSU ST5000.  At least they did in 2016.    OHTSU is a Japanese tire mfg.     I have them on my 2016 trailer.  

So far so good.  Site says:  Ohtsu ST5000 is a model designed for SUV’s and crossovers. This tire is a great all-season performer for the value

https://ohtsu-tires.com/ohtsu-st5000/

Goodyear Endurance is North American made. 

And I agree that if you can find an appropriate tire that isn’t an ST buy it. Trouble is it can be tough to find the right load rating on a non ST tire depending on the size. 

3 hours ago, riot138 said:

I'm leaning towards the 16" version so I have a little more tire when going over curbs.  My neighbor parks his truck on the road directly in front of my driveway so sometimes the only way to get in or out is to take the curb up.  Any tire recommendations for 16X8?

If you are only going 16", why not just leave what is on it?  It's probably not going to be an improvement enough to justify the cost/effort.  

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

If you are only going 16", why not just leave what is on it?  It's probably not going to be an improvement enough to justify the cost/effort.  

You're right.  I am all over the place.  I bought brand new tires last year for the 14s so I may go with these and be done with it: https://www.cerka.ca/61-860m-46012-14-mamba-aluminum-trailer-rim

I really just want anything over the stock wheels. Not a fan at all of them.

48 minutes ago, riot138 said:

You're right.  I am all over the place.  I bought brand new tires last year for the 14s so I may go with these and be done with it: https://www.cerka.ca/61-860m-46012-14-mamba-aluminum-trailer-rim

I really just want anything over the stock wheels. Not a fan at all of them.

It's a trailer. Save the money for fuel.  Does anyone really spend time staring at their trailer wheels?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

It's a trailer. Save the money for fuel.  Does anyone really spend time staring at their trailer wheels?

Dead on but I OCD on my 5 spoke 14” aluminum face black mag , I think they look great with a black painted trailer , definitely luv them enough to not spend money on 15 or 16’s   , 

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Unfortunately I do and think "I do not like these wheels, my boat looks like a 1980s mustang with these wheels."

Edited by riot138
  • Like 2

The boat spends a lot more time on the trailer than it does on the water.  At least mine does.  I understand the desire to upgrade the wheels.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, RyanB said:

The boat spends a lot more time on the trailer than it does on the water.  At least mine does.  I understand the desire to upgrade the wheels.

I guess.  Maybe I just need to put a seating area in the garage so that I can have a beer and gaze at the wheels :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, riot138 said:

I decided on the Raceline 860M Mamba Wheel.  Happy with the results and I used my 14" tires I purchased last year.

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

Went with the same wheels to replace the same ones. Seriously make the trailer look 2 decades newer.