Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Budget Amp Decision

Asmodeus2112

Looking for advice as I need to replace factory amps in a 2005 VLX. Working on diagram, will post when far enough along, but here is my scenario:

6x 6.5" 4 Ohm in boat 

4x 6x9 4 Ohm tower

1x 12" 2 Ohm ported sub 

I am thinking of buying one 5 channel and one 4 channel amp. 

4 channel amp -> Tower Speakers -> bridged and parallel speakers @ 2 Ohms or better to keep it 4 channel?

5 channel amp -> 1 channel to Sub + 2 channels to 2 dash + 2 channels parallel to 4x in boats

Is this a good way to go about this, or any better ideas?

Budget = low as reasonable. Looking at Rockford Prime amps or some similar class D. I really like the ultra small amps, but maybe they are too anemic?

I have read threads here, and I see both sides, but marine amps vs. car? A Prime marine amps is like $409 vs. the same car version is $309.... 

34 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Looking for advice as I need to replace factory amps in a 2005 VLX. Working on diagram, will post when far enough along, but here is my scenario:

6x 6.5" 4 Ohm in boat 

4x 6x9 4 Ohm tower

1x 12" 2 Ohm ported sub 

I am thinking of buying one 5 channel and one 4 channel amp. 

4 channel amp -> Tower Speakers -> bridged and parallel speakers @ 2 Ohms or better to keep it 4 channel?

5 channel amp -> 1 channel to Sub + 2 channels to 2 dash + 2 channels parallel to 4x in boats

Is this a good way to go about this, or any better ideas?

Budget = low as reasonable. Looking at Rockford Prime amps or some similar class D. I really like the ultra small amps, but maybe they are too anemic?

I have read threads here, and I see both sides, but marine amps vs. car? A Prime marine amps is like $409 vs. the same car version is $309.... 

You can't bridge a 4 channel and run speakers in parallel.  It's bridge, but stay at 4 ohms (one speaker to each of two bridged channels -- 2 speakers total) or run in parallel to each unbridged channel (two speakers to each of four unbridged channels -- 8 speakers total).  

So a powerful 2 Ch (with each side of the tower run parallel) is the way to go for max output.  The Arc Audio KS 300.2 (or its marine clone the O.G. Wetsounds Syn 2) is your perfect amp. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARC-AUDIO-KS-300-2-AMP-2-CHANNEL-700-WATTS-RMS-SUB-SUBWOOFERS-SPEAKERS-AMPLIFIER/254216128156?hash=item3b3076469c:g:4ycAAOSwmvtcuLi8 

For the cabin and sub, I really like the JL Audio XD 1000/5.  You can get one of those refurbed for around $600.  https://creativeaudio.net/xd1000-5v2-k/

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

4x 6x9 4 Ohm tower

A 2 chnl amp will give you more wattage p/pod at a lesser investment.

You would need to 1 ohm x 4 stable to bridged a pair of 4 ohm in parallel. Not many 4 chnl amps out there 1 ohm stable.   

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, shawndoggy said:

You can't bridge a 4 channel and run speakers in parallel.  It's bridge, but stay at 4 ohms (one speaker to each of two bridged channels -- 2 speakers total) or run in parallel to each unbridged channel (two speakers to each of four unbridged channels -- 8 speakers total).  

So a powerful 2 Ch (with each side of the tower run parallel) is the way to go for max output.  The Arc Audio KS 300.2 (or its marine clone the O.G. Wetsounds Syn 2) is your perfect amp. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARC-AUDIO-KS-300-2-AMP-2-CHANNEL-700-WATTS-RMS-SUB-SUBWOOFERS-SPEAKERS-AMPLIFIER/254216128156?hash=item3b3076469c:g:4ycAAOSwmvtcuLi8 

For the cabin and sub, I really like the JL Audio XD 1000/5.  You can get one of those refurbed for around $600.  https://creativeaudio.net/xd1000-5v2-k/

Thanks for turning me on the refurbed JL Audio at Creative Audio! I just ordered three amps (mono, two and four channel) + 3 remote level controls from them. I really like the remote level control options on the JL amps plus the pre amp pass through. Went with their car stuff, as it was only 600 for all three amps vs. over a grand for the marine versions. Boat came from factory with car amps, the Sony Xplode is still working fine, but for the low price of the refurbed I'm jettisoning it for a JL.