Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need quick help: Gx + Rev10 clearance

gregtay

Can someone with the Gx Tower and Rev10s check the clearance between the top of the speaker can and the tow bar. I am installing Rev10s on my Gx with all the right mounts from Malibu but my upper speaker can is making contact with the tow bar. I am guessing on factory installed speakers there is more clearance(or some clearance?) Would love it if someone could check their boat and let me know if there’s looks different from this. I have the bracket/adapter mounted so the speaker mounting point is vertical, maybe is flipped for the top speaker? 

Thx

far left of this photo, the can is touching the tower

6EC5F8C8-8BE9-47B5-A730-CA17CA42C863.thumb.jpeg.e9272876b338875cb05e8860e8dd0d10.jpeg

58EBDADB-4D81-4F16-9970-8E39E4239D94.thumb.jpeg.f4ea365cd4ae2cee442eb61e145ae29d.jpeg

F652D43C-0641-431E-99B7-A07F6838D833.thumb.jpeg.c9eba1cd5e2dd52aea2a9d882f9a2858.jpeg

I have not noticed how the Rev 10 goes on the X tower, but it seems like the wedge that you have between the tower and the speaker housing is tilting the speaker upward into the tower.  Can that be reversed, so that it tilts the speaker away from the top hoop?  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I have not noticed how the Rev 10 goes on the X tower, but it seems like the wedge that you have between the tower and the speaker housing is tilting the speaker upward into the tower.  Can that be reversed, so that it tilts the speaker away from the top hoop?  

The brackets are angled so that the speaker mounting surface is 90 degrees vertical (vs the angle/taper of the tower.) The packages for the brackets were labeled Port and Starboard and the holes are not symmetrical.  In theory I can flip them if I put the starboard bracket on the port side and flip it upside down... that would make the mounting surface angled ~25 degrees from vertical and should give me more clearance from the tow bar.  I didn't want to go down that path till I can confirm what the factory set up is (maybe on the upper speakers they flip the brackets to get the clearance or maybe I just have something not quite right.)  

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Try adding a 2nd X-mount steel plate between the white Bu angled spacer. 

I can try but the Malibu service team noted to remove the mount on the speaker and replace it with the one they provided (well.. the one I had to order as part of the bundle of parts.)

We are talking actual wet sounds pods, right? Not Bu's pods? 

I do not see this working out without at least on x-mount steel plate mounted to the top of the pod with the 2 little flat head machine screws. I think adding in a 2nd just might give you enough room considering the cross bar is aching up as it travels toward the center of the boat. Moving the speaker pod further in with the addition of another 1/8 plate, should effectively increase the distance at the now current contact point. 

Just thinking, 

12 minutes ago, MLA said:

I do not see this working out without at least on x-mount steel plate mounted to the top of the pod with the 2 little flat head machine screws. I think adding in a 2nd just might give you enough room considering the cross bar is aching up as it travels toward the center of the boat. Moving the speaker pod further in with the addition of another 1/8 plate, should effectively increase the distance at the now current contact point. 

Just thinking, 

Bu pods. Purchased from my Malibu dealer.. with the Malibu logo. So the ones that come from the factory.

13 minutes ago, MLA said:

Just thinking, 

And to explain it a bit further... there is an "xmount" type plate (special one from Malibu) that replaces the stock one (it attaches with the little screws), and they even have their own felt pad that goes over it.  So there is a plate there.

I am helping out at a boat show this weekend. There is a 25lsv with Gx and rev 10s. I will snap a few pics in the morning. 

26 minutes ago, lerch said:

I am helping out at a boat show this weekend. There is a 25lsv with Gx and rev 10s. I will snap a few pics in the morning. 

Thanks so much.

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I am not at the boat but maybe these will help of you zoom in a bit.  

2BC3DF2E-9D61-4733-94A9-CE62BE161617.jpeg

A04AE3F4-B6EE-4274-B76D-AB49FCDAE7D5.jpeg

D46FA2AF-0E93-4B4B-B24B-C357D7316D47.jpeg

Thx. Mine looks identical but the top can touches the tow bar. (Yours might, can’t tell) I just want to find out if it is suppose to touch or if there is suppose to be a significant gap.

13 hours ago, gregtay said:

Bu pods. Purchased from my Malibu dealer.. with the Malibu logo. So the ones that come from the factory.

Ok, so Malibu factory components, not the Wet Sounds' rev-10. The clamp/mounting boss is a bit different on the Malibu pods. 

12 minutes ago, MLA said:

Ok, so Malibu factory components, not the Wet Sounds' rev-10. The clamp/mounting boss is a bit different on the Malibu pods. 

Correct, all factory parts including the mounts, gasket, etc.

10 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I am not at the boat but maybe these will help of you zoom in a bit.  

2BC3DF2E-9D61-4733-94A9-CE62BE161617.jpeg

A04AE3F4-B6EE-4274-B76D-AB49FCDAE7D5.jpeg

D46FA2AF-0E93-4B4B-B24B-C357D7316D47.jpeg

And clearly your speakers aren’t hitting your tower row bar as you would have realized it when you put in your speaker covers. I could get them on as I can pull the speaker away enough (again, it’s touching and interfering with the tow bar on my tower, not by much but I’m sure something isn’t right with my install. 😏

Very close to touching. Minimal clearance.  Can you get a small spacer underneath the mount to the tower. Then I would imagine the speaker would then clear?

51D7FC5A-2B9D-4F9D-B414-42B4F4560751.jpeg

741E35D7-4638-4881-A5D1-B5187060D959.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Very close to touching. Minimal clearance.  Can you get a small spacer underneath the mount to the tower. Then I would imagine the speaker would then clear?

51D7FC5A-2B9D-4F9D-B414-42B4F4560751.jpeg

741E35D7-4638-4881-A5D1-B5187060D959.jpeg

Thanks, very helpful. That gives me confidence I am very close to have it right. Mine looks the sale, but it is just slightly touching in that spot. I will play around a little to find a way to add a little clearance... but in general I think I have all the right parts in the right places.

Thanks everyone for the help and sending additional photos over the last day or so.  At this point I am giving up for now :-/  The REv10s are mounted with the current adapters, gaskets and plates but on both sides the speaker is resting/touching the tow bar.  I tried just about everything to make some adjustments but no luck.  I could get in there and shim things and get some clearance but I am going to leave it for now.  Dfowkes is doing the same install in the next week or so and we will try to learn more from his install and I will go back and adjust if needed.  

Gregtay, could it be that your tower hoop is not positioned exactly the same as others?  I wonder if loosening the big allen head bolts on the hoop and trying to move it up some would be the difference.