Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flywheel ring gear replacement

ChattanoogaEchelon

I have a "94 Echelon with the 5.7L 350 Mercruiser EFI, direct drive.  Bought the boat last year and had trouble starting from the get-go.  Of course no issues during dealer test drive.  The flywheel has about a 2 inch section where it's slightly worn down.  I am usually able to manually turn the crank to move it past that section and starts fine.  Well not now; starter just spins.  My mechanic can't get to it for a few weeks (should have done this during the winter) so I'm considering tackling myself but need to know what all is involved.  I have read where there is 2-3 inches of room to unbolt and slide the transmission back to gain access without removing the motor.  I would need something to set the trans on and/or lift it up; can I do this myself is the question?  Once I get the housing off I think I can tackle removing the damper plate and flywheel (will purchase ring gear and new damper plate from Skidim).  I'll of course remove the starter and have it evaluated by a shop.  Last year O'Reilly's check it and it was fine; I want to make sure the teeth are fine and it's in proper working order for the new ring gear.  I have basic tools and socket sets.  Does it require special tools?  

You might try a new starter 1st before doing the other work, it may be all you need - and if not, would be nice to have a new starter to go with the new ring gear.

• Like 2

@ChattanoogaEchelon:  One member @tvano did a pivot off the front engine mounts then pulled the trans away from the engine, check with him on details, there is also a post on that in this section.  With a helper and a cherry picker, pulling the engine and trans together is actually very easy, then you can split the unit on the ground.  Thread on that here also @Michigan boarder.  Your comments imply the ring gear may be just past useful life.  FYI - engine trans combo is 888 lbs., trans is 135 lbs.

Edited by Woodski

I have a couple of photos showing the engine and transmission being pulled linked below in an oil pan change thread.  Pulling the engine and transmission together in a direct drive is pretty easy.  Finding time to do it was more difficult.  

1C0D6B8E-626F-44CF-8F4B-CB77FA8E0496.thu

• Like 1